Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   How about a logical answer to a window problem (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602005)

modrums 02-19-2012 11:23 AM

How about a logical answer to a window problem

I have a late 95 M3. The one-touch windows are working fine going down on both sides, but the one-touch on the drivers side going up will not work. It goes up a few inches, and then stops like something is in it's way.

My logic is telling me...

It's not the switch, because when i use the key to activate the windows (hold the key in lock position) it does the same thing, and this does not use the switch.

It's not the motor, because when I hold the switch down it rolls the window all the way up as expected.

It's not the regulator, because the window rolls all the way up and down and doesn't move forward or backward in the channel.

So is there a special sensor in the door, a safety stop feature maybe, that could need to be replaced? Or is this sensor built into the motor? It seems it would be the same mechanism that rolls the window down partially when opening/closing the door.

Any help?

ZeGerman 02-19-2012 11:38 AM

This problem is very common. I'd wager a guess that the majority of E36s do this by now since they are so old. Mine has done it with the driver side window since I bought it in 01/2010, but I just live with it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Rather than having the luxury of one touch, I just hold the button down like a regular car. Not a big deal.

Anyway, yes, there is a sensor that can go bad. Also, just because your window goes up and down in position does not mean that your regulator isn't getting stiff with age, thus tripping the sensor. In other words, it could be a few things causing the problem. It's been a while since I looked into this topic, but there are others here who may know more than I do. I think there are also some DIY tutorials online somewhere.

hornhospital 02-19-2012 12:16 PM

Try this: get in, but leave the door open. Put the key in the ignition and turn to the "on" position (the service lights etc. are lit...... you do not have to start the engine), run the window all the way down, and when it reaches the bottom HOLD the switch down for at least 5 seconds, then release. Then run the window UP all the way, still with the door open, and hold the switch down for at least 5 seconds at the top. That will reinitialize the travel limits, and should fix your "auto-up" problem.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd change the comfort relay.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

ZeGerman 02-19-2012 12:26 PM

^I'm going to try your trick on my car today, Ken. I haven't heard that one before. Fingers crossed!

Question: why does the door have to be open?

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 02:30 PM

If you disconnect and reconnect the battery, it (the problem) will go away for awhile atleast
edit:
My m3 has done this once but corrected itself, my 328is seemed to have this prob alot, it didn't do the ol window up/down when drivers door was opened and closed, I reset buy disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and wala fixed....

See there Z I've figured it out Yay (the edit)

hornhospital 02-19-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGerman (Post 6642536)
^I'm going to try your trick on my car today, Ken. I haven't heard that one before. Fingers crossed!

Question: why does the door have to be open?

:dunno:, but that's what the DIY I read said, and it worked. Before that it was "go up 4" and stop, go up 2" and stop" multiple button presses (or just hold it down like you've been doing) My guess is that it can't "relearn" the limit with the door shut. Something to do with the window drop feature when the door is opened.

I hope it works for you as well as it did for me. My daughter was so thrilled to have her windows working normally again! :rofl:

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modrums (Post 6642423)
I have a late 95 M3. The one-touch windows are working fine going down on both sides, but the one-touch on the drivers side going up will not work. It goes up a few inches, and then stops like something is in it's way.

My logic is telling me...

It's not the switch, because when i use the key to activate the windows (hold the key in lock position) it does the same thing, and this does not use the switch.

It's not the motor, because when I hold the switch down it rolls the window all the way up as expected.

Any help?

you are able to tap the up button to get her all the way up right?

hornhospital 02-19-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modrums (Post 6642423)

He already said it does. ;)

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 03:37 PM

Thanks Ken, once again your the man, I kinda breezed through the OP

Edit:
And I'm going to try your method should it ever arise again

RhymeGrime 02-19-2012 03:53 PM

You can do it with the door closed, preferred because of the window jog, if you do it open, when the window is all the way up it relearns and when you close the door it will clash with the seal because it wasn't jogged down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

hornhospital 02-19-2012 05:07 PM

No, it doesn't. It stops the normal 1/4" or so below the top as if it had dropped when the door was open. I did both sides on the 318is and the drivers side on the 325is and all of them ended up working exactly as they should.

ZeGerman 02-19-2012 05:09 PM

So I tried it and it didn't change anything. I've also had the battery out of the car and that never made no difference, either. I think my sensor is just kaput. No biggie.

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornhospital (Post 6643060)
No, it doesn't. It stops the normal 1/4" or so below the top as if it had dropped when the door was open. I did both sides on the 318is and the drivers side on the 325is and all of them ended up working exactly as they should.

^+100 to Ken seems very viable and and writing this down in my info page of the bible, thank you sir!!

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGerman (Post 6643063)
So I tried it and it didn't change anything. I've also had the battery out of the car and that never made no difference, either. I think my sensor is just kaput. No biggie.

Try coaxing the the door latch on the piller frame, maybe it's not seeing the door all the way closed...?

ZeGerman 02-19-2012 05:20 PM

No, that wouldn't be it. It clearly knows when the door is and is not closed for a multitude of reasons. Besides, the door being closed has nothing to do with the auto-up auto-down feature.

hornhospital 02-19-2012 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, there is a lot of contradictory information about re-initializing the windows. Apologies to RG, because the Bentley manual says to do it with the door SHUT, unlike the DIY on window repair that I found (and it worked). The method is described here:

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 05:30 PM

Not the handle but the mechanism ie locking mechanism inside the door lock on the body of the car door, if it doesn't expand correctly when closed the window won't activate to its closed position, try just making the lock loop on the car body a lil thicker with some (I hate to say it) electrical tape and see if it triggers that sensor
Edit: just try it
If it triggers then you can adjust the loop/latch on the piller to catch the sensor adequately

Edit: Good find Ken

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGerman (Post 6643083)
No, that wouldn't be it. It clearly knows when the door is and is not closed for a multitude of reasons. Besides, the door being closed has nothing to do with the auto-up auto-down feature.

It has everything to do with the door not closing and triggering the sensor for the window....I've been down this road

ZeGerman 02-19-2012 06:23 PM

I think you are talking about something else. This thread is about the one-touch auto-up/auto-down feature, not the window sealing when you close the door. Mine does that just fine.

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 07:10 PM

Here's a vid to prove that the sensor is on the door piller give me a sec and I'll upload to youtube

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 07:10 PM

Oh okay NM then, my appologies
Z, I was confused... Once again thank you for the clarification Buddy
Now that I read the entire follow ups, I get it now :(

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back on topic :) I believe I have a set of good working window switches. (some where) out of a 325is I think they are in this box of wire harness

DinanM3e36 02-19-2012 07:31 PM

If you REALLY think its a bad switch I'll dig around and try to find them

modrums 02-19-2012 07:34 PM

I've tried the reset routine, both with the door open and closed, and it doesn't work.

I've also tried disconnecting the battery, it also does nothing.

Yes, it does go all the way up if i hold it down. If i try to tap it a little at a time, the one touch tries to kick in and it has the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGerman (Post 6642448)
yes, there is a sensor that can go bad.

Where is that sensor? In the switch, in the door, in the fuse box, in the relay panel, in the motor, in the regulator, in the window guide, in the pillar???

I'm really hoping that it's just a sensor and not a whole motor & regulator, that's a pretty expensive fix.

hornhospital 02-19-2012 07:45 PM

It is NOT the motor. If it were, the window wouldn't go up normally when you hold the switch. The latch sensor is the microswitch in the striker plate. It looks like a tiny slide switch.