Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   F10 Engine chirping/cricket noise at low speed (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603926)

jkbimmer 02-27-2012 03:41 PM

F10 Engine chirping/cricket noise at low speed

Engine chirping/cricket noise at low speed
Hello, I built my 2011 550i Sedan in April/May 2011. A few weeks ago, at 7500 miles, I started hearing chirping (like little birds) or cricket-like noise coming out of the engine when I push softly on the gas peddle around 15 to 30 MPH. The noise is driving me crazy. It is not the turbo whistle noise, which I am used to and okay with, this is a new noise that comes on often especially on cold starts.
I took it to the dealer to diagnose, but they said they couldnít replicate the noise. Of course, it made a liar out of me. Of course, the noise came back the day after I picked it up from the dealer. I am not sure if I should take it to the dealer again to check it out. I already electively had an oil change service done at 7500 miles. I have about 8300 miles on the car now and I canít stand this noise to the point, I want to get rid of the car (even though I love the carís performance).
I heard the noise once after I parked my car in the garage and turned it off, but the fan was still running. Iím wondering if it is an issue with the fan and not the engine.
Has anyone experienced this type of noise? Any recommendations!

SuperTerp 02-27-2012 04:12 PM

I'd take a recorder app off my phone and since you can hear it inside, just be very quite and see if it'll pick it up :dunno:

TJPark01 02-27-2012 04:19 PM

There is another thread about this on this board. Sorry, I can't remember who posted it but, you aren't imagining it.

Edit, I found the thread. Considering the amount of damage I did to myself in college, it's a miracle I can remember anything.

Squeak/noise from engine area

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...49#post6161249

jkbimmer 02-28-2012 10:38 AM

Thanks for the link to the other thread, the noise I hear is different from what I heard in the two videos. The noise in the videos is more like a squeak. Mine is a chirp. I'm going to to record the noise and post later tonight. I appreciate everyone's comments.

TJPark01 03-05-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkbimmer (Post 6664317)
Thanks for the link to the other thread, the noise I hear is different from what I heard in the two videos. The noise in the videos is more like a squeak. Mine is a chirp. I'm going to to record the noise and post later tonight. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Did they figure this out for you?

Dblock2151 03-06-2012 06:16 PM

I have the same issue.

RaveD 03-07-2012 02:55 PM

I have heard something similar when the car is idling but it is more constant and rhythmic. Was not concerned...

val3ntin3s 09-19-2012 11:33 AM

OP has your issue been resolved? I started noticing it in my car yesterday while driving and Im around the same milage as you were when you first noticed it.

Sandlapper 09-20-2012 07:57 PM

Was the air conditioner on? Try turning it off and see if you notice a difference.

jkbimmer 11-07-2012 07:00 PM

I can still hear it. The dealer won't acknowledge that it's a problem stating that the V8 is typically loud. My issue is that it wasn't loud for the first 8000 miles. I don't know what else to do. I turned the AC off, but I still hear it. I guess I just have to live with it.

mg650 11-08-2012 01:44 PM

Could it be a belt?

Alan L. 11-08-2012 02:10 PM

sounds like a belt or belt tensioner. Try spaying a little bit of those belt lubricants they sell at auto stores to see if the sound goes away.

eplace 03-07-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkbimmer (Post 7182511)
I can still hear it. The dealer won't acknowledge that it's a problem stating that the V8 is typically loud. My issue is that it wasn't loud for the first 8000 miles. I don't know what else to do. I turned the AC off, but I still hear it. I guess I just have to live with it.

So did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm noticing noises from my 550 at low speed. And it's somewhat like the noise you described. But i thought when i turned off the ac, it went away...

alewifebp 03-08-2014 08:26 PM

I heard this noise recently too. Had an appointment to fix other things anyway, so I had them check it out. Of course they could not replicate. I hear it occasionally while accelerating and coasting around the 10-30 MPH area, only when the accelerator is pressed and shortly afterwards. It's not much of a problem, but I'd be curious if others have had it resolved.

iNeoxs 09-30-2014 03:36 PM

Any updates on this issue? I heard similar constant cricket chirping whistling noise on my new 2015 550xi while in Europe. I can hear it very clearly while driving slow with windows down.

I don't have the car yet since I just dropped it off on Sep 15th. I spoke with my CA about the noise and he mentioned the same thing as other CAs are saying that 550 is V8 so it will make noise. I told him once I get the car I will checkout another 550 at their lot if both cars make similar noise then I don't have any problems but if it's only mine then surely there is some issues with my car.

Not mention it's really annoying to hear that noise after some time. It's more prominent at night when it's quiet outside and inside parking lots.

550Carbon 10-05-2014 08:12 PM

I have the same issue on my 2013 550 Xdrive.
I brought it to the dealership three times about this issue and they could not replicate or solve the problem. They actually can't even hear it.
We opened up a 750 engine bay to see if we can hear it and we can in fact, I think the insulation on the cabin of the F10 is worse which is why you can hear the sound while driving inside.

Aleez 10-28-2014 10:16 AM

Same issue - Please help

Hello all,

I am facing the same problem occasionaly with my 520i 2013 model, when the speed is around 10 to 40 , and especially at cold start, I sent to dealer with no luck, the issue is that noise is not continuoes so they couldnt hear it.

Any advise will be much appreciated.