Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The "ZHP" Wagon is ON!!!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603944)

ffej 02-27-2012 03:40 PM

The "ZHP" Wagon is ON!!!!

I found the donor today, a 12/2004 build ZHP with 72k miles. Bashed front end. everything rear of the accessories on the motor is in good shape or better. Car starts and runs; interior is lovely, it's just the front end that's ugly as hell...

I will be putting the following items into the wagon:
M54B30
6MT
Driveshaft
Brakes (F & R)
Steering rack (if truly undamaged)
Front Control Arms (if truly undamaged)
Rear trailing arms (with new bushings)
Steering wheel
HK Stereo
Alcantara shift and parking brake boots
Dashboard and Door trim
ECU, EWS, Cluster, keys

Any other suggestions?

Everything else will be either scrapped or sold on eBay/craigslist...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/dat...s/Donor_01.JPG http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/dat...s/Donor_03.JPG http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/dat...s/Donor_08.JPG http://www.bimmerfest.com/photos/dat...s/Donor_05.JPG

smolck 02-27-2012 03:58 PM

CONGRATS! What a cool project!

Curious if we could work out a deal on the two front wheels for my two back wheels?

Why would you not put the seats in the wagon? Along with the dash, and the entire interior? If the A, B and C pillars are not peeling I would like to talk about those too.

ffej 02-27-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 6662480)

Curious if we could work out a deal on the two front wheels for my two back wheels?

Why would you not put the seats in the wagon? Along with the dash, and the entire interior? If the A, B and C pillars are not peeling I would like to talk about those too.

The wagon has manual 'hellbeige' sport seats. Don't really want to give those up :)

The interior of the wagon is in surprisingly good shape. Plus, I'm in Texas and I don't want the death of a black interior during our 18 months of summer every year.

Are you saying you'd want the 18x8s? I'm thinking that the non-track setup will be 18x8 all around. As for the rest of the interior bits, you can have first right of refusal. Not sure when I'll start pulling stuff out. Mostly because I don't know when the shipper will drop it off in front of my house.

MalibuMafiaV 02-27-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6662503)
The wagon has manual 'hellbeige' sport seats. Don't really want to give those up :)

The interior of the wagon is in surprisingly good shape. Plus, I'm in Texas and I don't want the death of a black interior during our 18 months of summer every year.

Are you saying you'd want the 18x8s? I'm thinking that the non-track setup will be 18x8 all around. As for the rest of the interior bits, you can have first right of refusal. Not sure when I'll start pulling stuff out. Mostly because I don't know when the shipper will drop it off in front of my house.

:rofl:

Congrats man!. Looking forward to seeing this build thats for sure.

smolck 02-27-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6662503)

Yes, in Alabama my car is known as "the sweatbox". It got that name from me some 4 years before I bought it. It belonged to my former boss and he and I would go on appointments in it with suits on, try that in July!

Yes, I wanted the 18X8's so I could run 225/40/18 all around. But sounds like you'll need them.

Ya know what looks amazing in a tan colored interior? Black Cube trim!

ffej 02-27-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 6662560)
Ya know what looks amazing in a tan colored interior? Black Cube trim!

My thoughts exactly!!!

968RACER 02-27-2012 04:46 PM

Very cool project

midlandtech 02-27-2012 04:55 PM

Are you installing the zhp rear diffuser and side skirts?

Scott ZHP 02-27-2012 05:12 PM

No ZHP diff?

Won't fit the wagon?

alpinweiss 02-27-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 6662480)

Why would you not put the seats in the wagon? Along with the dash, and the entire interior?

Is the rear seat interchangeable between a wagon and a sedan? I was thinking the wagon is different from the B-pillar on back.

This will indeed be cool when it is finished.

:drive:

smolck 02-27-2012 06:34 PM

This is the first time in a thread like this that I am not sitting over here thinking "I need the trim, I need the shift boots, I need the wheel, etc, etc, etc"

My car IS that car (only not wrecked).

1972ford 02-27-2012 07:10 PM

Great project! You will soon have exactly the car I want.

If you were closer I'd be interested in the seats. Black on black works fine here in NH!

Best of luck, and definitely post lots of pics...

ffej 02-27-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott ZHP (Post 6662669)
No ZHP diff?

Won't fit the wagon?

The wagon came stock with a 3.46 :D

ffej 02-27-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 6662898)
Is the rear seat interchangeable between a wagon and a sedan? I was thinking the wagon is different from the B-pillar on back.

This will indeed be cool when it is finished.

:drive:

The rear cushion and bolsters are the same, the seatback is completely different. And like I'd sorta mentioned, I'm quite happy wife the condition of the interior.

And from the B-pillar back it's almost completely different. Subframe and frame rails are the same, so the mounting points are the same between sedan and wagon.

av98 02-27-2012 07:47 PM

:thumbup: Wow, that's an awesome project. :)

TerraPhantm 02-27-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6662439)
ECU, EWS, Cluster, keys

I'm assuming you're doing that because you want the MS45.1? Otherwise I'd say keep your stock components, swap the gauge faces and needles into your existing cluster... that way you'd keep your original VIN (not sure if it really matters for a car that modified).

Also, I am not sure if the MS45.1 DME will play nice with the earlier version of the DSC module that came with the 01 cars. There may be other issues since BMW switched from the ZCS system to the FA system between 2001 and 2002 (both are ways how the car identifies itself to the various diagnostics tools out there)

ffej 02-27-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerraPhantm (Post 6663177)
I'm assuming you're doing that because you want the MS45.1? Otherwise I'd say keep your stock components, swap the gauge faces and needles into your existing cluster... that way you'd keep your original VIN (not sure if it really matters for a car that modified).

Also, I am not sure if the MS45.1 DME will play nice with the earlier version of the DSC module that came with the 01 cars. There may be other issues since BMW switched from the ZCS system to the FA system between 2001 and 2002 (both are ways how the car identifies itself to the various diagnostics tools out there)

Pretty much. I'll check into the differences between the diagnostic and DSC systems. Thanks for the info...

edit It looks like both cars run the same Teves MK 60 DSC III system. Should be good there. /edit

Maybe I'll just do the whole freaking wiring harness :D

ffej 02-27-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlandtech (Post 6662619)
Are you installing the zhp rear diffuser and side skirts?

The rear diffuser isn't compatible with the stock rear bumper, and I don't really want to spend the money to get the full M-touring body kit.

Bob Shiftright 02-28-2012 05:03 AM

You are building the car that I wanted to buy in 2004! :thumbup:

The donor car's seats are Alcantara? :cry:

Gryphon 02-28-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 6662911)
My car IS that car (only not wrecked).

Ditto.

Can't wait to see how the wagon turns out:thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App

BLT 02-28-2012 05:58 AM

What will you be driving while the drumwagon build is in process?

TerraPhantm 02-28-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6663211)
Pretty much. I'll check into the differences between the diagnostic and DSC systems. Thanks for the info...

edit It looks like both cars run the same Teves MK 60 DSC III system. Should be good there. /edit

Maybe I'll just do the whole freaking wiring harness :D

DSC should be okay - I just remember that one of the 01s I worked on had a fairly early variant of the Mk60 module, and that my old ZHP had a fairly late variant. Worst case scenario, the module should swap over since the connections should be the same.

Also make sure to grab the LCM from the ZHP so that the cluster doesn't throw a tamper dot. It'll have to be recoded to work with the touring's taillights, but that's trivial. What you'll then want to do is wipe the FA from the cluster and LCM, and copy your touring's ZCS to the "new" EWS and cluster, just so your car is still seen as a touring. The DME being newer than what it's supposed to be wont hurt anything there

When you're closer to doing the electronic/coding part, feel free to PM me; I'd be glad to help out as much as I can.

smolck 02-28-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6663254)
The rear diffuser isn't compatible with the stock rear bumper, and I don't really want to spend the money to get the full M-touring body kit.

With all the money you will make in parting out what you don't keep, you could easily pay for the body kit. At the very least you gotta seriously consider the Mtech 2 front bumper. It just wouldn't be a ZHP Wagon without it.

I was also thinking, when you get the car, maybe we can work out a deal on me sending you my front wheels for that cars rears? I want square, one way or another. :thumbup:

I wish you lived closer. I would love to lend my time and effort to this project. Talk about FUN!

Too bad the UUC lightweight flywheel/M5 clutch kit for the 6 speed just sold on fanatics for $750. You needed that

P_T 02-28-2012 06:50 AM

Very cool project, just like what I have been thinking but with two not four doors. Will look forward to following your progress.

Count me on on buying some parts. I am wanting some interior crap. So when you get to point of needing to clear out, put me on a list and give me a jingle.

ffej 02-28-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 6663910)
With all the money you will make in parting out what you don't keep, you could easily pay for the body kit. At the very least you gotta seriously consider the Mtech 2 front bumper. It just wouldn't be a ZHP Wagon without it.

It's a possibility, but I kinda like the stealth idea...a LOT

Quote:

I was also thinking, when you get the car, maybe we can work out a deal on me sending you my front wheels for that cars rears? I want square, one way or another. :thumbup:
That could work, for sure.

Quote:

I wish you lived closer. I would love to lend my time and effort to this project. Talk about FUN!
The lovely and esteemed KrisL is actually flying out to spend a weekend helping with the swap and drinking copious amounts of good beer :)

Quote:

Too bad the UUC lightweight flywheel/M5 clutch kit for the 6 speed just sold on fanatics for $750. You needed that
[sopabox]I will never, EVER spend a single penny on a UUC product, used or not. Rob has not only insulted me publicly and privately, but folks I know in the racing community that are FAR better resources on how to properly do things. Plus, his clutch/flywheel kit is really not all that outstanding. His standard response to issues that come up are "you're installing it incorrectly". It might occasionally be the case, but when he tells this to say, a guy who builds some of the best race motors on the west coast, or a guy that was asked to help define rollcage safety for NASA and BMW CCA, it doesn't wash. I could go on for an extended period of time, but I won't. (though I suppose I did)[/soapbox]