Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Travel Forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Welcome to the Travel Forum! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604609)

JSpira 03-01-2012 09:20 AM

Welcome to the Travel Forum!

Bienvenue! Welcome! Willkommen! Benvenuto! Bienvenido!

Over the past year or so, I noticed that a number of people were coming back to the European Delivery Forum here at Bimmerfest to discuss other travel plans - so I suggested to Jon Shafer, Bimmerfest founder, that we start a Travel Forum... and here it is.

Here we'll cover all kinds of travel, be it via plane, train, or automobile. Feel free to join in existing discussions or to start a new thread.

We plan to have trip reports with photos, travel news, information about the latest travel deals, details about frequent flyer and loyalty programs, and more.

In particular since this is brand new, please feel free to make suggestions about what you want to see.

Me530 03-01-2012 10:03 AM

Interested to see what the plans are for this. I don't know if the ED forum gets enough traffic to warrant splitting out a subforum but I'm open to it! :)

JSpira 03-01-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me530 (Post 6670172)
Interested to see what the plans are for this. I don't know if the ED forum gets enough traffic to warrant splitting out a subforum but I'm open to it! :)

It's not just for members of the E.D. forum (making it a sub-forum is part of the test phase). And this will cover a wide range of travel topics and news that are beyond the scope of European Delivery.

gmblack3 03-01-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks for all your work Jonathan!

Gluhwein 03-01-2012 07:18 PM

I like. I'm a little reluctant to post my ED report because it's more about my trip than the car. Love the car immensely but for me driving in Europe is what it's all about.

sno_duc 03-02-2012 09:35 AM

Cruises

I think this thread is a great idea. :thumbup:
The wife and I have taken four cruises (all Princess), our favorite was the Panama canal. (Florida to California)
Any other festers spent time on cruise ships? If so which line and favorite port of call.

We are thinking about a Viking river cruise, maybe the Danube.

Gluhwein 03-02-2012 09:56 AM

I've been looking at river cruises in Europe a lot as well. I keep thinking it would be a nice thing to do in a few years when I retire, but when I really sit down and think rationally I realize I could see all the same places, have more time there, eat similar great meals, not be constricted by their schedule and do it for much less money by doing a driving holiday. Cruising can be relaxing at sea but in Europe I'd want to jump off at every riverside town and take a look around. Convince me I'm wrong.

:D

sno_duc 03-02-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 6672894)
I've been looking at river cruises in Europe a lot as well. I keep thinking it would be a nice thing to do in a few years when I retire, but when I really sit down and think rationally I realize I could see all the same places, have more time there, eat similar great meals, not be constricted by their schedule and do it for much less money by doing a driving holiday. Cruising can be relaxing at sea but in Europe I'd want to jump off at every riverside town and take a look around. Convince me I'm wrong.

:D

If we do it, it will be at one end of an ED. :bigpimp:
One of the big costs is airfare getting to europe, so it makes sense to combine.
Driving a B road along a river is not the same as the slower less stressful floating up / down a river on a ship. (with someone else piloting the vessel)

Challenge64 03-02-2012 05:24 PM

Nice addition! Glad to see this subforum!

Jon Shafer 03-02-2012 05:37 PM

I am feeling a bit of wanderlust...