Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Security and keyless entry 00 z3 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608991)

snickel 03-20-2012 07:13 PM

Security and keyless entry 00 z3

Ok I have just picked up a 2000 z3. My question is about the keys. I have two keys and an alarm remote. When I push down on the BMW logo a light comes on but doors do not unlock. Is it just a led light? When I push the alarm lock or unlock all I get is 3 loud fast chirps but doors do not lock. I have to put the key in the lock to get it to lock all doors. Does this sound like it is working right. The reason I ask is because on the alarm remote it has two buttons lock/arm panic and unlock/disarm with led light. Sorry for dumb question new to BMW. Thanks

ProRail 03-20-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snickel (Post 6715925)
Ok I have just picked up a 2000 z3. My question is about the keys. I have two keys and an alarm remote. When I push down on the BMW logo a light comes on but doors do not unlock. Is it just a led light? When I push the alarm lock or unlock all I get is 3 loud fast chirps but doors do not lock. I have to put the key in the lock to get it to lock all doors. Does this sound like it is working right. The reason I ask is because on the alarm remote it has two buttons lock/arm panic and unlock/disarm with led light. Sorry for dumb question new to BMW. Thanks

a. Ask the dealer. You should have been given a thorough briefing.
b. Read the manual. Almost everything (but not quite everything) is covered in the manual.

postalZ3 03-20-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snickel (Post 6715925)

Very common problem with the Z3. Does the vehicle has the original radio? There are 5 alarm switches on the Z3, hood, each door, trunk and radio, if any of those are not functioning as intended you'll get the three chirps you mention. If the radio has not been replaced with an aftermarket radio, I will take a look at the hood switch. Send me an e-mail at agsofia at att dot net I'll send you pictures of locations of the switches.

Tony

Pinecone 03-21-2012 01:36 AM

1) Yes, the key only had a light in it to help to keep from scratching the car when unlocking at night.

2) 3 chirps means the system is not arming, normally due to something being open or a switch problem.

You can buy additional alarm key fobs and code them to your car. I got one off eBay. The instructions come with it or are available online.

snickel 03-21-2012 12:54 PM

Thanks postalZ3.... It was what you said bad switch. I unplugged it and now I have my alarm back and my doors lock.. Thanks so much.

postalZ3 03-21-2012 01:01 PM

Glad to be of help :thumbup:

LicLic 01-27-2013 08:53 PM

alarm issues

started having problems with the 3 chirps, found the one under hood, disconnected and same problem, reconnect. Where are the other 4 located and can I disconnect each one until i find the correct faulty switch