Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Possessed X3 28i: won't shut off, lights flashing, window washers spraying (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609767)

Selbyman 03-24-2012 06:43 AM

Possessed X3 28i: won't shut off, lights flashing, window washers spraying

My sister-in-law's 2011 X3 freaked out last night.

She was leaving the grocery store when the windows washers just started spraying and wouldn't stop. By the time she drove 1 mile the headlights were flashing.

She made it home and was not able to cut off the engine. She had a neighbor come over and he couldn't do anything with it either. They tried to disconnect the battery but were unable, for some reason. At about this point gurgling adn whining noises started. Keep in mind this was around 10pm in a townhome community so the neighbors were not happy.

A tow truck came (dispatched by BMW) but wouldn't put it on his truck because he felt it wasn't safe.

After about 4 hours the engine finally shut off. Then after another hour everything else died. I assume the battery finally gave up.

They called another tow truck who has taken it to the dealer.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

UncleJ 03-24-2012 09:11 AM

No, but I had an Acura that wouldn't shut off once. Drove it to a mech who pulled a wire and that shut it off. Horrible experience I can really appreciate sis's feelings. Please let us know what the dealer tells you about this. I hope she still trusts the car too. I traded my Acura because of the problem for a Tahoe.:angel:

Selbyman 03-24-2012 12:18 PM

So far, the dealer is saying it looks like a junction box that has completely failed.

Me530 03-24-2012 12:20 PM

Wow!!!!

Ian Sanford 03-26-2012 12:04 AM

Power failure

Had the same happen with a brand new Mini once. Brought it home from the Dealer and couldn't lock the doors. Eventually cleared itself. However later on in the evening went out to check the car and found all the windows and sun roof had opened spontaneously in pouring rain! Called out BMW recovery who towed car to Dealer where it stayed for a week - fault eventually found to be a loose connection on one of the rear lights. Dealer said, that as everything is linked through the wiring loom, the on board computer had misread the fault.
Didn't keep the car long as had no confidence that fault would not re-occur.

Evlengr 03-26-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Sanford (Post 6727488)
Had the same happen with a brand new Mini once. Brought it home from the Dealer and couldn't lock the doors. Eventually cleared itself. However later on in the evening went out to check the car and found all the windows and sun roof had opened spontaneously in pouring rain! Called out BMW recovery who towed car to Dealer where it stayed for a week - fault eventually found to be a loose connection on one of the rear lights. Dealer said, that as everything is linked through the wiring loom, the on board computer had misread the fault.
Didn't keep the car long as had no confidence that fault would not re-occur.

That is a load of crap response. That is what interlock relays are for, that and to prevent you from killing yourself with hi voltage.

I had BMW try to tell me that by installing a car stereo it was the reason the transmission was not working correctly. I told them they were full of $%++ point blank. If their electrical systems were that delicate then they could take the car back.

Make sure you document this very carefully. If the vehicle is in the shop for a protracted amount of time...lemon it. If it goes in for same thing 3-4 times..lemon it. The problem with issues like this is they have a cascading effect and once one thing goes they take others with it. Especially something like this.

BMW will make good, but they are sticklers for details...like most Germans (I am Suisse..I know). Beat them at their own game and document, document, document. They will finally go ok (get you a new toy) if you can show them (and a lawyer) that you let them try to fix it with no success.

Good Luck if you need help, pm me (not a lawyer, but beat them several times at their own game).

lbjgh 03-26-2012 07:38 AM

Isn't this the appropriate time to hit the BMW 'sos' button and transmit the fault to the mother ship? ;)

UncleJ 03-26-2012 03:10 PM

That may have been effected as well!:yikes: It will be intesting to see what they come up with and how long it takes. As Evl so aptly puts it -- document, document, and document your dealings on something like this.:angel: