Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   21.6 HP on a 2005 330i ZHP from SOFTWARE?! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610650)

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 07:53 AM

21.6 HP on a 2005 330i ZHP from SOFTWARE?!

I know the Shark Injector and Active Autowerke seem to be the most popular two, but...

1) Shark only gives about 10 HP.
2) AA claims 15 HP, but I've yet to see one dyno chart.

The guy who had it done said it was safe and the car runs just fine without putting the pedal to the floor, but it is significantly snappier (a 10% increase in horsepower will do that...). I asked him about fuel economy and should receive an answer today. Also... he has a ZHP and the chart reads out at "Flywheel Power". A ZHP making 199 HP at the flywheel seems a little low, but maybe that's just me?

Here's the chart he sent me in a PM:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1...5757996386.jpg

Check him out at www.brentuning.com. He's located in Massachusetts, so it may not be practical for all.

Thoughts?

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 08:06 AM

What's the altitude where this dyno was taken?. That'll also help to know. Higher the altitude... the less power it's going ot have. Sea level.... tons of power lol.

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 08:12 AM

218.122 feet above sea level according to http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-goo...d-altitude.htm.

NoGuts 03-28-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6732901)
What's the altitude where this dyno was taken?. That'll also help to know. Higher the altitude... the less power it's going ot have. Sea level.... tons of power lol.

So, if it was below sea level, it'll be 2 tons of power?

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 08:22 AM

The person who had the tune done said those numbers were WHP, but I don't rightly know. 200 HP at the flywheel does seem low for a ZHP at that altitude, no?

RSPDiver 03-28-2012 08:36 AM

15% driveline loss would get you about there, if it was running very healthy. So, they could be looking at (adding the delta after tune) to stock claimed crank HP, it's 268-ish. Not too shabby. Toss on some headers, and you're knocking on 300hp's door, potentially.

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSPDiver (Post 6732996)
15% driveline loss would get you about there, if it was running very healthy. So, they could be looking at (adding the delta after tune) to stock claimed crank HP, it's 268-ish. Not too shabby. Toss on some headers, and you're knocking on 300hp's door, potentially.

ZHP cams + Custom tune + what I have already = :boink:

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 6732929)
218.122 feet above sea level according to http://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-goo...d-altitude.htm.

Humm that shouldn't make to big of a difference at all than. It does seem a bit low.

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6733033)
Humm that shouldn't make to big of a difference at all than. It does seem a bit low.

I wonder if it's truly wheel horsepower. That seems much more plausible. :hmm:

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 6733055)
I wonder if it's truly wheel horsepower. That seems much more plausible. :hmm:

Yeah that's what I'm thinkin. That would make a whole lot more sense.

ffej 03-28-2012 09:43 AM

It's a load of sh!t. 220 to the wheels with just SW isn't possible with the motor without headers. I've seen enough of these things to know it's all hocus-poucs marketing.

You want power? get headers. SW on the M/S54 motor is a pretty good waste of good money.

smolck 03-28-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6733181)
It's a load of sh!t. 220 to the wheels with just SW isn't possible with the motor without headers. I've seen enough of these things to know it's all hocus-poucs marketing.

You want power? get headers. SW on the M/S54 motor is a pretty good waste of good money.

Well, it was actually 20hp (+ or - 15hp) :eek:

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffej (Post 6733181)

The car in discussion has a drop-in filter... that's it. I already have headers and an ECIS intake and can hang with a New Edge 4.6L Mustang GT in a straight line. I'd like to know, exactly, how he can pull that kind of power from it. He also claims that the car of discussion was just flashed... no custom tune. Those figures came from the first pass.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 11:13 AM

All this header talk is making me want to get headers now... SPD can you make a video of your car exhaust while the car is idling please?. I want to see how insane the fumes look without cats.

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6733407)
All this header talk is making me want to get headers now... SPD can you make a video of your car exhaust while the car is idling please?. I want to see how insane the fumes look without cats.

Idling? There are no fumes. :confused: I'll get a video clip uploaded this afternoon.

smolck got some nasty footage of second gear not wanting to work, though. :lmao: And a couple other fly-bys.

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 6733422)
Idling? There are no fumes. :confused: I'll get a video clip uploaded this afternoon.

smolck got some nasty footage of second gear not wanting to work, though. :lmao: And a couple other fly-bys.

I'm curious because I plan to do headers to soon ish.

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6733564)
I'm curious because I plan to do headers to soon ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPc_...e_gdata_player

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 6733822)

Sweet!. Thanks man, much appreciated. I heard stories of people who installed catless headers and it would just pour exhaust fumes out to where you can't even stand near or behind the car without getting light headed :rofl:

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6733898)
Sweet!. Thanks man, much appreciated. I heard stories of people who installed catless headers and it would just pour exhaust fumes out to where you can't even stand near or behind the car without getting light headed :rofl:

Oh... you can smell it, when sitting still with the windows down or standing around it with no wind. I don't stick my face in my exhaust tip, though, so it doesn't bother me.

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 6733910)
Oh... you can smell it, when sitting still with the windows down or standing around it with no wind. I don't stick my face in my exhaust tip, though, so it doesn't bother me.

Lol. Well I may put some 400 cell cats on so it's not so bad. I just want to gain the power the stupid OEM ones have made me lose.

SPDSKTR 03-28-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6733921)
Lol. Well I may put some 400 cell cats on so it's not so bad. I just want to gain the power the stupid OEM ones have made me lose.

Oh, you'll feel it. No doubt about it. Shortly after smolck installed them, we went on a drive so he could pick up his temporary car before the ZHP (radiator... lulz...). He said, "Open it up a bit, come on!" So I did. Barked from 1 to 2 and something new: 2 to 3. It was nuts. When the tire chirp from 2 to 3 occurred, he immediately said, "We have to race when I get this car!"

Ask him how that ended. :shhh:

[Insert "Fast & Furious quote about winning here.]

He still thinks it's faster, even with his 3.46, but I beg to differ. We've yet to find out.

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDSKTR (Post 6734178)
Oh, you'll feel it. No doubt about it. Shortly after smolck installed them, we went on a drive so he could pick up his temporary car before the ZHP (radiator... lulz...). He said, "Open it up a bit, come on!" So I did. Barked from 1 to 2 and something new: 2 to 3. It was nuts. When the tire chirp from 2 to 3 occurred, he immediately said, "We have to race when I get this car!"

Ask him how that ended. :shhh:

[Insert "Fast & Furious quote about winning here.]

He still thinks it's faster, even with his 3.46, but I beg to differ. We've yet to find out.

Very awesome!. Yeah man your definitely getting me excited to get my headers. I'm just not looking forward to putting then on LOL.

Fast Bob 03-28-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV (Post 6734445)
Very awesome!. Yeah man your definitely getting me excited to get my headers. I'm just not looking forward to putting then on LOL.

Hire a couple of 7-year-old kids to install the headers....their hands are just about the right size to get up in there.... :D

MalibuMafiaV 03-28-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Bob (Post 6734539)
Hire a couple of 7-year-old kids to install the headers....their hands are just about the right size to get up in there.... :D

:rofl: exactly. When I install tham I'm just going to lift the engine to put them on. It'll be 10x easier to do it that way. But taking off intercooler piping and supercharger is a pain.... but it's ok I love my SC and intercooler <3. It talks to me while I drive it makes beautiful sounds :D

RSPDiver 03-28-2012 07:47 PM

So back on topic (and I love the headers talk, vids, and discussion a lot, as I'm thinking of them also), the way many tunes work is by removing safety margins pre-programed by the factory, and maximizing octane requirements while subduing controls like air flow sensors and such until knock sensors kick in.

That said, the dyno charts I would expect from a tune that shows that kind of HP gain, would be a huge spike somewhere, not so much of a broad gain. I would suspect a possible padding of the gains could have been gained by running 89 fuel on the first run, perhaps on a hot engine with no fan, and then good gas (91 or 93 if they have it in Mass) once the engine had cooled. Hell, you could probably even adjust tire pressure to throw results. And environmental factors can be adjusted in some dyno software to throw results. So, in summary, I'd like to see some other results, and think it would be awesome if they could package their tune to be remotely installed to a couple of vehicles that were on a no-risk trial. If it's a 12hp gain with improved throttle response gain, proven on an independent dyno, I'm in all day long. It's just hard to believe that someone has unlocked over 20 hp from a stock M54 engine after about a decade. Not with all the big tuners out there.