Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Just bought cradle (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610891)

jzcrna 03-29-2012 06:01 AM

Just bought cradle

Well, I bought the BMW media cradle and just heard a rumor that the iPhone 5 will be bigger. Looks like I will have to get an iPhone 4s next. my iPhone 4 is on its last legs for battery life.

voip-ninja 03-29-2012 07:28 AM

The rumors on the iphone 5 go back and forth. A few months ago there was rumor after rumor that it was going to have a 4.0 or 4.5" screen, and now, the very latest "size" rumor is indicating that it will still have a 3.5" screen.

What I personally expect is that Apple will stick to the 3.5" screen but work on making the phone MUCH smaller, as close to the size of an iPod Touch as possible and they will almost definitely introduce 4G/LTE in the next version as well as a new mini dock connector and probably elminate the physical home button and replace it with a proximity/touch based sensor.

For people who want a somewhat larger screen device they will direct them to the iPad "mini" that will probably be released at the same time, with a 7.85" screen.

It's 99% certain that the iPhone 5 will have a different form factor and possibly cradle connector, so it will require a new dock adapter from BMW, which I would expect could lag the release of the phone by as much as six months.

justinnum1 03-29-2012 08:51 AM

ONe thing the iphone 5 will deffenitly have is a new connection(port) on the bottom, not as big as the current one.

s

Burrogs 03-29-2012 09:17 AM

I'm sure they will make an adapter to convert the old style plug to the new style. Too many people would be pissed if they don't

voip-ninja 03-29-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burrogs (Post 6735714)
I'm sure they will make an adapter to convert the old style plug to the new style. Too many people would be pissed if they don't

That won't work with the cradle though unless you just put a cable on the cradle and ran it out to your phone.

The new phone for sure will require a new cradle to be integrated the same way the current iphone is.

andy966 03-29-2012 10:26 AM

I am not so sure about the phone being smaller. Smaller means they would need better battery technology. Have you ever seen the battery life on a Touch? It sucks! Battery tech is moving forward but not as fast as we would like.
My money is on same size but different form factor. And yes, they will stick with the 3.5" screen unless people mutate and the average hand size gets bigger.
They are 3.5" for 1 simple reason, they fit perfectly in your hand and you can perform most operations with 1 hand. And do you really want a bigger phone in your pocket?

Yes, everyone will need new cradles/cases/docks. And some will complain, but I don't think Apple has cared much about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 6735434)
The rumors on the iphone 5 go back and forth. A few months ago there was rumor after rumor that it was going to have a 4.0 or 4.5" screen, and now, the very latest "size" rumor is indicating that it will still have a 3.5" screen.

What I personally expect is that Apple will stick to the 3.5" screen but work on making the phone MUCH smaller, as close to the size of an iPod Touch as possible and they will almost definitely introduce 4G/LTE in the next version as well as a new mini dock connector and probably elminate the physical home button and replace it with a proximity/touch based sensor.

For people who want a somewhat larger screen device they will direct them to the iPad "mini" that will probably be released at the same time, with a 7.85" screen.

It's 99% certain that the iPhone 5 will have a different form factor and possibly cradle connector, so it will require a new dock adapter from BMW, which I would expect could lag the release of the phone by as much as six months.

voip-ninja 03-29-2012 10:35 AM

What Apple cares most about is building "perfect" products, which results in them extracting the maximum amount of money possible from my wallet every year. I am kicking myself for not buying 100 shares when my buddy was insisting I do it, the stock had just dipped to under $100 at the time.

Scottytb 03-29-2012 10:56 AM

WoW your interior is SWEET! I just got my 2012 328i and after seeing this, I need to get some work done in mine. Anyone have a website or information on how to dress things up?

justinnum1 03-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burrogs (Post 6735714)

yea, but an adapter for a new phone that probably wont fit the existing cradle...

LousyShot 06-11-2012 06:45 PM

It would be great if there was a little Android support...
Seems like a market segment is kind of missing out.

sr5959 06-12-2012 09:22 AM

Well I had an iPhone 4 and was a little disappointed when the iPhone 4s was released with exactly the same design as iPhone 4, but it got stolen recently so I replaced with 4s, and now I'm quite leased because the new one still fits the cradle! :)

voip-ninja 06-12-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr5959 (Post 6890785)
Well I had an iPhone 4 and was a little disappointed when the iPhone 4s was released with exactly the same design as iPhone 4, but it got stolen recently so I replaced with 4s, and now I'm quite leased because the new one still fits the cradle! :)

I would imagine the real problem will be when the iPhone "5" is released in another few months time as it will apparently have a new form factor and will almost certainly not fit the cradle because it appears that it will have a new smaller dock connector.

It should be possible though to use an adapter cable to simply plug the phone into the dock adapter, by way of a dock extension cable and still have all of the same functionality. :thumbup:

andy966 06-12-2012 09:25 AM

Well, I just bought the car with the iPhone cradle as well. But now I am regretting this decision a bit. iPhone 5 or whatever it will be called is just around the corner in Oct. There is a good chance the form factor will change along with the charger port. That means another 250 bucks. I don't even know why this part costs so much. It's ridiculous.

sr5959 06-12-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy966 (Post 6890797)
Well, I just bought the car with the iPhone cradle as well. But now I am regretting this decision a bit. iPhone 5 or whatever it will be called is just around the corner in Oct. There is a good chance the form factor will change along with the charger port. That means another 250 bucks. I don't even know why this part costs so much. It's ridiculous.

Agree. To get full iPhone functionality you have to buy Apps, BMW Assist, plus the cradle, and even then the text messages/emails don't work. I was so annoyed when I learned I had to pay for the cradle I got them to throw it in for free.

voip-ninja 06-12-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr5959 (Post 6890806)
Agree. To get full iPhone functionality you have to buy Apps, BMW Assist, plus the cradle, and even then the text messages/emails don't work. I was so annoyed when I learned I had to pay for the cradle I got them to throw it in for free.

Well, that's no longer true. If you buy tech package then you get all of that. You can buy navigation a la carte, but for the price difference I imagine that nearly all dealer ordered 3 series cars will simply have the tech package, which includes BMW assist, BMW apps, etc.

As to the price of the cradle, sure, it's highway robbery, but it's also a BMW, so while Toyota might sell the part for $100 BMW will charge $250. If I understand it correctly the cradle vs. USB port does very little for you anyways, it primarily gives your phone a signal boost using the in-car antenna system.

sr5959 06-12-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 6890944)
Well, that's no longer true. If you buy tech package then you get all of that. You can buy navigation a la carte, but for the price difference I imagine that nearly all dealer ordered 3 series cars will simply have the tech package, which includes BMW assist, BMW apps, etc.

As to the price of the cradle, sure, it's highway robbery, but it's also a BMW, so while Toyota might sell the part for $100 BMW will charge $250. If I understand it correctly the cradle vs. USB port does very little for you anyways, it primarily gives your phone a signal boost using the in-car antenna system.

To be honest I just use Bluetooth audio streaming, not the USB or the cradle, just use the cradle occasionally for charging but you have to take the case off the phone to do that which is a pain...

jzcrna 06-13-2012 04:48 AM

Regarding the cradle, the novelty of BMW Apps, etc. has certainly worn off. I think that MOG radio and its interface are awesome, but its kind of a pain putting the phone in the cradle and then starting the app on the phone. It should be a one step process. Another thing is that I cannot tell you how many times I have forgotten my phone in the car, because I left it in the cradle.

On the positive side, the cradle charges my iphone super fast and really increases the reception. I have noticed a HUGE difference with the reception and for these two factors, I would say that the cradle is worth it to me.

shabadoo25 06-13-2012 06:16 AM

Car isn't here yet, but I went ahead and got the cradle for $149 shipped off of eBay.

Didn't want to pay full boat since I will be upgrading to iPhone 5 in September.

voip-ninja 06-13-2012 06:50 AM

There's no reason you really need the cradle at all, the phone is more than capable of doing this over bluetooth... BMW just needs to do a proper implementation.

Germans are used to getting into the car and driving on long trips much more frequently than Americans, who often get into the car for 10-15 minutes at a time, so definitely the whole cradle thing is a big PITA.

Having said that, for the extra 900 bones over the cost of just the nav I will order with tech package, it might be slightly more future proof and could get a software upgrade or two down the road.

jtuds 06-13-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 6735434)

I'd bet money the Apple will not delay the release of the iphone so that BMW can develop a new adapter. When the phone's ready, it's coming out....BMW and everyone else can make ad hoc changes.

And I dont know how the packages work in the USA but for Canada, we get Harmon kardona dn Nav in the premium package, along with cmofort access, but the cradle and bluetooth aurdio are included with BMW assist for 900 bucks...so it's significantly more to get that feature.

I really like the idea fo bluetooth audio...most of the time I listen to Sirisu in the car becaue I cant be bothered to plug my iphone into a cable for a drive across town....but for times when there's nothing on Sirius, it'd be nice to keep the phone in my pocket and play songs. But for 900 more bucks? I dunno.....I'll prob do it though.

voip-ninja 06-13-2012 07:28 AM

For clarification I am not saying that iPhone would be delayed to wait for BMW, I am saying that the release of a cradle from BMW would lag behind the release of the iPhone by at least 90 days.

sr5959 06-13-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtuds (Post 6892669)
I'd bet money the Apple will not delay the release of the iphone so that BMW can develop a new adapter. When the phone's ready, it's coming out....BMW and everyone else can make ad hoc changes.

And I dont know how the packages work in the USA but for Canada, we get Harmon kardona dn Nav in the premium package, along with cmofort access, but the cradle and bluetooth aurdio are included with BMW assist for 900 bucks...so it's significantly more to get that feature.

I really like the idea fo bluetooth audio...most of the time I listen to Sirisu in the car becaue I cant be bothered to plug my iphone into a cable for a drive across town....but for times when there's nothing on Sirius, it'd be nice to keep the phone in my pocket and play songs. But for 900 more bucks? I dunno.....I'll prob do it though.

Definitely go for Bluetooth Audio, it works very well and is the most convenient way to listen off your iPhone.

E90 Enthusiast 06-13-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr5959 (Post 6893169)
Definitely go for Bluetooth Audio, it works very well and is the most convenient way to listen off your iPhone.

Slightly OT, but I notice decreased audio quality when I listed via bluetooth versus via USB. Has anyone else noticed this?