Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Travel Forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Drive from Munich to Paris. Where to stop (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611473)

tanjasiri 04-01-2012 12:53 AM

Drive from Munich to Paris. Where to stop

I am going to be driving my family after picking up our ED at the end of this week from Munich to Paris. Does anyone know a perfect place to stop for a night along the way? Good sights to see, hotels and restaurant? Going with a 14 year old foody daughter, 10 year old son and my wife.
We would love to take our time to see things along the way. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

VIZSLA 04-02-2012 05:14 AM

My wife and I are planning the same trip for the end of May. I'm interested in stopping one night in the Mulhouse/Colmer area and visiting the Schlumpf auto museum. Something that I've wanted to do for years It's about half way between Munich and Paris.
Our travel agent (the same one that puts together the BMW tours) has recommended the Chateau D'Isenbourg. It looks great and I suggest you check it out.
Where are you staying in Paris? Wer're still scoping out hotels there.

Bon Voyage.
David

tanjasiri 04-02-2012 09:24 AM

We are actually renting an apartment through VRBO.com it is pretty cool since we are renting it from an owner, we don't have to worry about kitchens...etc. We are thinking about Baden Baden for the stop. It is supposed to be a very nice "Spa" town with lots of food and drinks. (Where doesn't have that) Thanks for your recommendation, I will look into Mulhouse/Colmer as well.

guenelin 04-14-2012 06:09 AM

Baden-Baden is a nice day stop. I did the same drive last November and we instead visited the champagne region. We didn't stay anywhere spectacular but found Reims to be a nice city and enjoyed the vineyards and country roads outside of town.

Colmar is a wonderful town with lovely canals and would make a good stop. There is great food and sights in riquewihr and rebauville (2 towns near Colmar, I may have butchered their names). If with foodies, French country cooking must be experienced. The expensive Auberge de I'lll is one of the greatest meals, 3-star Michellin. http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Res...poi=3838_41102

In Paris, take your family for afternoon lunch at Le Comptoir in Odeon near D'Orsay. Wow that was amazing, we spent Beaujolais Nouveau there. http://www.foodandwine.com/restauran...e-france-paris

Have a great trip.

If you're into history, the trenches in Verdun could be a good lesson or the kids (it is the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the First World War). If i recall correctly, St. Mihiel is about 20 minutes from the highway and it was an American offensive largelyforgotten by all but most avid history fans.

tanjasiri 04-14-2012 03:39 PM

Thank you so much for your insight and recommendation. We are actually getting on the plane tomorrow from Paris to go home to Orange County. We ended up going into Baden Baden but did not stay there too long as it seemed to be very commercialized. We took highway 500 which is a beautiful scenic highway through the black forest with our new car and ended up staying in a small inn in Lauf, near Sasbachwalden where a lot of wine is made. The next day was spent walking through Strasbourg with the kids and eating some Tarte Flambe'. Great drive into Paris until the last toll booth when I got pulled over by the French police.
He wrote me a ticket for averaging 158.6 km/hr and politely reminded me that the French speed limit is only 130 km/hr. "i know its not very high, especially for your car", very nice car" Wink.. "The French republic thanks you.." With a big smile, i gladly paid my 45.00

guenelin 04-16-2012 08:55 AM

Hahaha, that ticket story is awesome!

Blauanzug 04-16-2012 11:31 AM

Nice, that reminds me of the quote from Top Gear "Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket in France. Thats like asking have you ever been to France."

Meiac09 04-21-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blauanzug (Post 6774413)
Nice, that reminds me of the quote from Top Gear "Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket in France. Thats like asking have you ever been to France."

I didn't know that they actually existed, besides camera tickets. Everyone I knows floors it whenever they have non-French tags because the blitzers can't touch them. :dunno:

Signed, I got blitzed in Germany and framed my 15 euro ticket

640GC 07-09-2012 01:24 AM

Doing the same drive but thinking of heading south from Munich taking the Alpine route West towards Lindau, passing by the castles, then to Burgundy before heading NW to Paris. What's the best route to avoid traffic?

VIZSLA 07-09-2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aharding (Post 6940904)
Doing the same drive but thinking of heading south from Munich taking the Alpine route West towards Lindau, passing by the castles, then to Burgundy before heading NW to Paris. What's the best route to avoid traffic?

We took the southern route last time so we opted for the less scenic northern route this year.
This year's route kept us on the Germany Autobahns longer but there were a number of construction related speed limits so the average speed was no faster than our later time through France. The unlimited stretches we're a blast though.

640GC 07-09-2012 09:22 AM

On the Southern Route, are there any unlimited stretches between Munich and the southern border? That will be our only German Autobahn experience. Suggestions for nearby stretches of unlimited speed driving near Munich?

VIZSLA 07-09-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aharding (Post 6941313)
On the Southern Route, are there any unlimited stretches between Munich and the southern border? That will be our only German Autobahn experience. Suggestions for nearby stretches of unlimited speed driving near Munich?

Yes. Last time I was able to hit 130mph for a good while.
Bear in mind that traffic and construction zones could limit you but there should be opportunities.

gekisai29 08-07-2012 03:17 PM

i would opt for colmar over badan -baden as an overnite. more to see & delightful to walk around in the evening. easier to park as well. planning to do the same route as aharding next ed. will be interested in ur experiences afterwards

VIZSLA 08-07-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekisai29 (Post 6996293)
i would opt for colmar over badan -baden as an overnite. more to see & delightful to walk around in the evening. easier to park as well. planning to do the same route as aharding next ed. will be interested in ur experiences afterwards

Agreed. Colmar is a good half way point. Nice town and if you're into cars at all the Schlumpf museum is a must see.