Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   X5 2005 - window washer leak (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611857)

VerusWest 04-02-2012 05:42 PM

X5 2005 - window washer leak

I have been chasing a widow washer leak for a couple of months. It is not the tank, but one of the gasket seals. Anyone know how to address this without messing up the wiring, etc?

Porando 04-03-2012 05:33 PM

Do it just as you have said - "address this without messing up the wiring"
you didn't say where it leaks exactly , which gasket seal it is and what wiring you are afraid to mess-up?

ztrain 04-05-2012 06:39 AM

I also have a leak in my '05. My leak is coming from one of the pump grommets. The mini grommets on two pumps on the backside of the tank. Not sure if you're having the same problem, but it's very simple to check and fix this. The biggest pain is draining the fluid form the tank so you don't have it all over the floor.

Prometheus 04-09-2012 04:24 AM

I have exactly the same problem. The grommet seal that interfaces the front washer pump and the washer tank is allowing water to leak out, especially when I use the pump to wash the front window. I don't like the small leak because it spills water on the heat resistant foil cover and exhaust manifold. This indicates that the grommet only has a 5-6 year lifespan in e53 x5's. I am going to use a plumbers lubricant to seal the grommet temporarily until next service.

torontox5 04-11-2012 01:34 PM

Are you sure that it is the grommet. The little pump is prone to leak. If you you are sure buy a grommet from the dealer it has to be verycheap. Ihad two pumps leaking I bourght two pumps for few dollars. Good luck

Prometheus 11-02-2013 06:40 AM

X5 2005 - window washer leak

I've had both the original washers replaced at a cost of $240 each at a BMW dealership. The grommet seals don't last long on the washing fluid container, neither do the motors. May need to magnet them replaced every 6 - 8 years.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

admranger 11-03-2013 03:02 PM

The pumps will eventually leak, and the grommets will eventually fail.

It's a really easy DIY job though, so start with the grommets and see if that works if the leak is in the pump area (F or R).

Just disconnect the electrical connector to the subject pump. No wiring issues if you do that first.

Lunchbox21984 11-09-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VerusWest (Post 6745192)
I have been chasing a widow washer leak for a couple of months. It is not the tank, but one of the gasket seals. Anyone know how to address this without messing up the wiring, etc?

i have the same issue with my wives x5. hers is leaking from the motor seals for the tank. i could ever get some time to mess with hers, im going to replace both motors and seals.

BeeCanyon 11-09-2013 08:18 PM

it's an easy DIY. I ordered the pumps from eBay and just got them in today. I removed the two 10mm plastic nuts holding the tank and unplugged the sensor and the two connectors. I cleaned everything real good and hooked up all the connections and inserted the pumps. I added the water mix and no more leaks! It only took me about 20 minutes and most of that time was spent cleaning the tank.