Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   BMW NAV System (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614796)

scottyt24 04-15-2012 07:43 PM

BMW NAV System
 
Experiences good or bad with the NAV system? Is it worth the extra cost? Cant decide if I should add it to the car I am looking to order or just leave it off.

loosenit2 04-16-2012 04:18 AM

So far I like it a lot. I live in Germany and have german maps load on my F30 right now. (I'm military so I have european maps loaded until I move back the US). The nav system works like a charm, much better so far then my portable GPS. The additional benefit you get is that when you get the nav system is a bigger screen 6in vs 8+in. That makes a big difference to me when using the idrive.

bcl0328 04-16-2012 05:58 AM

the HUD comes with it too. being able to see directions on your windshield is awesome.

IrvRobinson 04-16-2012 06:18 AM

One of the best features of the Nav system is being able to send multiple directions to your car from your computer,saves quite a bit of time.

pcbrew 04-16-2012 08:53 AM

FYI, you need BMW Assist to be able to send addresses to the car.

floydarogers 04-16-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyt24 (Post 6773417)
Experiences good or bad with the NAV system? Is it worth the extra cost? Cant decide if I should add it to the car I am looking to order or just leave it off.

There have been many threads (mostly on other model forums). The cost was always cited as a reason to not buy it, as standalones by Garmin etc are much less. The integration with the car and phone is a big plus.

There have been many complaints about incorrect/bad routing. BMW blames the map-supply company(ies) Navteq and whoever else they're using. The supply company blames BMW for not having the latest. Updates through BMW are expensive, and don't solve some of these problems. The newer hard-disk based systems are easier to update than the older dvd systems, however. Many of these complaints (other than expense) can also be levied at portable units. YMMV, and watch where you turn.

sberkovitz 04-16-2012 09:32 AM

Cost of theft
 
One other thing I like to consider is the cost of GPS theft. Portable GPS units are a huge target for thieves who don't give a second thought to smashing your $800 windows in order to steal a $200 GPS.

The way I see it (having one unit stolen already), by the time you buy a $200 unit, pay for a new window (cost me like $800!), and then buy another $200 unit, you've already spent like $1200, so may as way just pay for built-in nav which can't be easily removed and will not be a target to thieves who are window shopping.

CE750Jockey 04-16-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sberkovitz (Post 6774287)
One other thing I like to consider is the cost of GPS theft. Portable GPS units are a huge target for thieves who don't give a second thought to smashing your $800 windows in order to steal a $200 GPS.

The way I see it (having one unit stolen already), by the time you buy a $200 unit, pay for a new window (cost me like $800!), and then buy another $200 unit, you've already spent like $1200, so may as way just pay for built-in nav which can't be easily removed and will not be a target to thieves who are window shopping.

Or, you can buy the $200 unit, and not leave it on the windshield to be stolen. If they can't see it, they'll assume you took it with you. Or, you can be like my sister-in-law last week, and leave her purse on her Mercedes dashboard when she walked the dog, and guess what happened?

OBS3SSION 04-16-2012 11:01 AM

To get nav or not in a new car is a question that I think about a lot. Especially since I intend to order an F31 wagon when they become available. My 2003 330i had the built-in nav, and I loved the fact that it was perfectly integrated into the car. However, I didn't love how the maps were quickly out of date, and the cost of the nav up front and updates were obscenely ridiculous!

In the F30's I've test driven, the integration is even more in depth, including the head-up functionality. Plus the fact that you have a screen on your dash no matter what. Seems silly to have that dash screen and then have to stick a TomTom/Garmin on the dash too. But it still peeves me at just how much you have to pay for the factory unit, how much updates are likely to cost, and that people complain that the system has routing issues that a $150 TomTom doesn't.

I'm still undecided on what I'll do when the time comes to order.

SD Z4MR 04-16-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrvRobinson (Post 6773903)
One of the best features of the Nav system is being able to send multiple directions to your car from your computer,saves quite a bit of time.

I'm pretty sure that you can't send directions to the car but you can send multiple locations (addresses) to the car via Google Maps, but only if you also have BMW Assist.

chuckster 04-16-2012 12:02 PM

I think if you are going to keep the car a long time you get the NAV, otherwise the BMW nav is one of the worse systems out there compared to others. Also a previous article in Roundel even mentioned how BMW is just ripping people off for what they charge for the system. I was in Europe recently without my car(I have nav now) and needed a GPS, so I bought a Garman for $170 on Amazon. I am picking up another BMW for ED (6th time) and won't be getting nav as it is a lease car and I can survive with the Garman-it worked just fine.

samualcc 04-16-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster (Post 6774634)
I think if you are going to keep the car a long time you get the NAV, otherwise the BMW nav is one of the worse systems out there compared to others. Also a previous article in Roundel even mentioned how BMW is just ripping people off for what they charge for the system. I was in Europe recently without my car(I have nav now) and needed a GPS, so I bought a Garman for $170 on Amazon. I am picking up another BMW for ED (6th time) and won't be getting nav as it is a lease car and I can survive with the Garman-it worked just fine.

I plan to order without the Nav. Even though the HUD is nice, the biggest thing I will miss is the nice big screen. Otherwise, the price is intensely high when you compare it to just a standalone GPS unit.

Dollars to donuts the Tech Package doesn't make good economic sense, but then again, we are buying 40k+ cars. If we really just wanted to go from A to B we would be in Civics. Clearly that is not the case...

voip-ninja 04-16-2012 12:26 PM

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the premium price on tech packages is not a BMW exclusive. Even on economy cars tech packages that include Nav routinely cost $1800-$2500 or more and many don't even include the traffic and other capabilities that the BMW package does.

voip-ninja 04-16-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster (Post 6774634)
I think if you are going to keep the car a long time you get the NAV, otherwise the BMW nav is one of the worse systems out there compared to others. Also a previous article in Roundel even mentioned how BMW is just ripping people off for what they charge for the system. I was in Europe recently without my car(I have nav now) and needed a GPS, so I bought a Garman for $170 on Amazon. I am picking up another BMW for ED (6th time) and won't be getting nav as it is a lease car and I can survive with the Garman-it worked just fine.

In a recent comparison between five car nav systems including Tom Tom standalone GPS the BMW Navigation via i-Drive won top honors.... so not sure that it's "worst". Expensive? Yes, but so is the car that you are adding it to.

Let's say you lease the car for three years with a 60% residual. Even if you load up the tech goodies to the tune of $5000 (BMW apps, enhanced bluetooth, etc) the amortized cost over 3 years is about $60 or so a month before interest. Not cheap, but for people that spend a lot of time in the car it probably isn't considered exorbitantly expensive either.

rpilot 04-16-2012 02:45 PM

I am probably going to get the NAV .. because A) I like having it built in.. B) As another poster mentioned.. theft of standalone units & C) As another poster also mentioned.. the idea of having two screens is just too much :)

Having said that, does anyone know what BMW is pricing the map updates for the F30 at? Looks like they want $350+ dollars if you install yourself... or ~$500 dealer installed for the F10. Yikes!!

Even if you wait and do it every 2 years or so... kinda puts a damper on the fun, does it not?

pcbrew 04-16-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpilot (Post 6774989)
Having said that, does anyone know what BMW is pricing the map updates for the F30 at? Looks like they want $350+ dollars if you install yourself... or ~$500 dealer installed for the F10. Yikes!!

Even if you wait and do it every 2 years or so... kinda puts a damper on the fun, does it not?

Check this F10 thread. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=540474
You can order the discs for $7, then need to buy an activation code (you need to supply your VIN). There is an outfit in Canada (www.BMWRetrofit.com) selling for CAD$ 200 and some outfit in Poland (http://www.navibmw.pl/fscmap_gb.html) selling codes for about US$ 100.

The Eleven 04-16-2012 05:56 PM

I going to order a 335i as soon as the 2013 ordering guides come out and keep going back and forth on the tech package.

I've had HUD on a couple of vehicles in the past and have always missed it when going to a non-HUD vehicle. On the down side, there are always more distracting reflections from the HUD and surrounding trim pieces on the windshield than non-HUD cars. Since it very sunny here that can be annoying. Plus, the HUD requires special windshield which is much more costly to replace if/when it gets cracked.

My past two cars have had built in Nav. systems and while I don't use it very often it is nice to have instant access to it when I do need it. They are all over-priced IMHO but at least you get the HUD with the Nav. The larger screen seems like a nice upgrade but haven't driven a 3 without Nav. yet so I can't compare. With the Nav., one thing that I like is the fact you can program the 8 radio buttons as radio stations, navigation destinations, phone numbers and entry points into the menu etc. when you have the Nav. Without the Nav. the 8 buttons are just radio station buttons. Can anybody that has the Nav. comment on how handy this feature is or isn't? It seems like it would be a very nice feature to have.

I'm doing the BMW DRIVE FOR TEAM USA this week and hope they 335i they supply will have the Nav. and HUD so I can get a better feel both features.

SD Z4MR 04-16-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voip-ninja (Post 6774699)
In a recent comparison between five car nav systems including Tom Tom standalone GPS the BMW Navigation via i-Drive won top honors.... so not sure that it's "worst".

Source please.

sudi 04-16-2012 06:52 PM

I had the same confusion all day, to add tech package, or not. I like the bigger display screen, and also the enhanced instrument cluster.

I called up my dealer just now to get it added, but he told me the specs are frozen the moment it enters production.

Problem solved.

pcbrew 04-16-2012 08:40 PM

Did you get Premium Pack?
Supposedly the extended cluster is on cars with the Premium & no nav.

sudi 04-16-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcbrew (Post 6775805)
Did you get Premium Pack?
Supposedly the extended cluster is on cars with the Premium & no nav.

I did get the premium pack. But I don't want to get my hopes up since in the BMW configurator on the website shows the extended cluster in the interior photo only when you add the Tech pack.

sudi 04-16-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sudi (Post 6775813)
I did get the premium pack. But I don't want to get my hopes up since in the BMW configurator on the website shows the extended cluster in the interior photo only when you add the Tech pack.



Yep.

"BMW Navigation system with 16:9 high-resolution, 8.8-inch screen, high-function on-board computer, Voice command system, 12 GB storage for audio files, Real Time Traffic Information, and extended instrument cluster"

pcbrew 04-16-2012 09:36 PM

Two reports of folks that got extended panel without Nav, both Sport Lines w/Premium, one 328i, one 335i.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=8

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...65&postcount=1

sudi 04-17-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcbrew (Post 6775904)
Two reports of folks that got extended panel without Nav, both Sport Lines w/Premium, one 328i, one 335i.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=8

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...65&postcount=1

Fingers crossed. Mine's a 328i sports line with premium, too.

vern 04-17-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Eleven (Post 6775434)
Plus, the HUD requires special windshield which is much more costly to replace if/when it gets cracked.
Do you have insurance? If so who cares about the cost .

, one thing that I like is the fact you can program the 8 radio buttons as radio stations, navigation destinations, phone numbers and entry points into the menu etc. when you have the Nav. Without the Nav. the 8 buttons are just radio station buttons. Can anybody that has the Nav. comment on how handy this feature is or isn't? It seems like it would be a very nice feature to have.

Its a very nice feature to have, I had it on my 5 and had it set up for the night mode, my home location,phone # etc. Good luck
cheers
vern


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms