Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Tips/advice on inspecting ordered car when it arrives (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=616241)

winterfresh 04-22-2012 12:50 PM

Tips/advice on inspecting ordered car when it arrives

Does anyone have any tips on what to look for when your new car arrives before you drive it off the lot? For example, looking for any small or minor scratches, dents, damages, underneath the car, etc?

Call me a little paranoid, but it seems like if you don't catch something before you drive it off the lot, you're held liable since there is no way to prove you didn't do it after driving off.

Arciga18 04-22-2012 12:52 PM

I've never ordered a bimmer so this will be good info.

Make sure they didn't forget the xenons? :dunno::dunno:

bcl0328 04-22-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arciga18 (Post 6787529)
I've never ordered a bimmer so this will be good info.

Make sure they didn't forget the xenons? :dunno::dunno:

they forgot mine. :rofl:

winterfresh 04-22-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcl0328 (Post 6787544)
they forgot mine. :rofl:

Did you confirm that the order had them on it? I'm curious to know what happened after you noticed they were missing?

bcl0328 04-22-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterfresh (Post 6787663)
Did you confirm that the order had them on it? I'm curious to know what happened after you noticed they were missing?

nah it was a joke. originally i was going to order mine with xenons but they had a car there with everything i wanted, minus xenons. so instead of waiting for an order i just took it. my old car was falling apart and i need reliable transportation so i said i'll take it.

might sell it in 3-4 years to get a blue m-sport 335i.

bmwm311 04-22-2012 09:27 PM

Do you guys test drive it before you do the final signing?

bcl0328 04-22-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm311 (Post 6788464)

i didn't but after seeing rattling dash noises and vibrating steering wheel, i would.

justinnum1 04-22-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm311 (Post 6788464)

of course

look at all the body panels, check for dents, scratches, look at the gaps between panels, make sure they are consistent.

Make sure the alinment is right, no vibration in the tires or steering(there is a know steering wheel vibration issue)

malc410326 04-23-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 6788472)
Make sure the alinment is right, no vibration in the tires or steering....

+1,000,000! Hopefully BMW will have a solution in the near future.

GatorACE 04-23-2012 08:28 PM

Yeah I test drove mine despite the sour puss face my CA had. I made sure the alignment was right, checked The interior.....CA kept on saying "it's covered in our warranty" blah blah blah.

winterfresh 04-23-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorACE (Post 6790664)
Yeah I test drove mine despite the sour puss face my CA had. I made sure the alignment was right, checked The interior.....CA kept on saying "it's covered in our warranty" blah blah blah.

I would do the same. If you drive it off and then later notice a dent or damage underneath, or interior blemishes, those aren't covered under the warranty, correct? They could say, "How do we know you didn't do this after you drove off?"

winterfresh 04-23-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 6788472)
of course

look at all the body panels, check for dents, scratches, look at the gaps between panels, make sure they are consistent.

Make sure the alinment is right, no vibration in the tires or steering(there is a know steering wheel vibration issue)

I was unfamiliar with the wheel vibrations. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to do a sticky post that listed all known issues? I think that would be very helpful.

justinnum1 04-23-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterfresh (Post 6790715)
I was unfamiliar with the wheel vibrations. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to do a sticky post that listed all known issues? I think that would be very helpful.

basically myself, and several other have found an issue where the steering wheel vibrates between 40-60mph...nothing to crazy, and you wouldn't really know it unless you look at it but its there. supposeldy bmw changes a part in the steering box(might be the whole unit altogether) starting in march production, waiting for those cars to get in owners hands to see if they experience it as well

cdeleon09 04-23-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 6790721)
basically myself, and several other have found an issue where the steering wheel vibrates between 40-60mph...nothing to crazy, and you wouldn't really know it unless you look at it but its there. supposeldy bmw changes a part in the steering box(might be the whole unit altogether) starting in march production, waiting for those cars to get in owners hands to see if they experience it as well

Anyone with March production cars receive there's yet and can comment on this issue?

VirtuousWolf 04-24-2012 12:49 AM

Don't forget the "goodies" like the manual, extra keys, valve covers, stuff like that :D Goodluck

GatorACE 04-24-2012 01:12 AM

Yeah mine was a march production. No issues with the alignment and no vibrations on speeds > 40 mph.

Yeah dont forget about the goodies. Got the Cable to connect iPhone included, BMW keychains, floor mats and BMW coffee travel cup.

Good stuff!

laser 04-24-2012 05:33 AM

Ask them to show you the vehicle repair history to see if any shipment damage was repaired at the VPC.

Michael Schott 04-24-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 6791100)
Ask them to show you the vehicle repair history to see if any shipment damage was repaired at the VPC.

Would you actually refuse delivery and have BMW reorder the car (which I'm sure they would refuse to do) if you found they had repaired shipping damage? VPC repairs I'm sure are considered the same as at the factory.

1.fresh.f30.335 04-24-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schott (Post 6791108)
Would you actually refuse delivery and have BMW reorder the car (which I'm sure they would refuse to do) if you found they had repaired shipping damage? VPC repairs I'm sure are considered the same as at the factory.

Not true, if the car has been damaged you can try to pass it off without the customer's knowledge but if they catch it they can certainly turn down the car, hence a refundable deposit... The work doesn't have to be reported, so your right its still considered the same as having work done at the factory

laser 04-24-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schott (Post 6791108)

Shipping damage can range from a slight bump or scrape to more severe like having the off load driver crash the car (rare).

It's easy to ask for the repair report so you know if anything is embedded in the cars history that you will have to explain when you sell or trade it.

Michael Schott 04-24-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 6791406)
Shipping damage can range from a slight bump or scrape to more severe like having the off load driver crash the car (rare).

It's easy to ask for the repair report so you know if anything is embedded in the cars history that you will have to explain when you sell or trade it.

Would that actually be in the car's history? If it's repaired by BMW to be as good as new then delivered what difference does it make?

laser 04-24-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schott (Post 6791745)
Would that actually be in the car's history? If it's repaired by BMW to be as good as new then delivered what difference does it make?

Yes it should be.

My F10 had a record of the fuel sensor replaced at the VPC and that was comforting to know since it was an issue with some early builds.

The manufacturing process is completed when the car leaves the production line and handed over to the shipper.

It's driven onto a car carrier if made in Germany to the port of Bremerhaven, driven off the car carrier, driven onto the ship, shipped across rolling seas to the US, driven off the ship to the VPC, then another truck. You get the picture.

It's pretty impressive that the subsequent issue / repair history is tacked so diligently in the cars record for the benefit of BMW and you as the first and future owners.

Michael Schott 04-24-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laser (Post 6791980)
Yes it should be.

My F10 had a record of the fuel sensor replaced at the VPC and that was comforting to know since it was an issue with some early builds.

The manufacturing process is completed when the car leaves the production line and handed over to the shipper.

It's driven onto a car carrier if made in Germany to the port of Bremerhaven, driven off the car carrier, driven onto the ship, shipped across rolling seas to the US, driven off the ship to the VPC, then another truck. You get the picture.

It's pretty impressive that the subsequent issue / repair history is tacked so diligently in the cars record for the benefit of BMW and you as the first and future owners.

Thanks for the clarification. Would repairs done at the VPC effect future resale value?

laser 04-24-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schott (Post 6792075)
Thanks for the clarification. Would repairs done at the VPC effect future resale value?

Depends on what has been reported. Not a small body repair or most any mechanical can be viewed as "like new".

Never meant to overstate this ..... just so easy to ask to see from your dealer!

Yobyot 04-24-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterfresh (Post 6787525)
Does anyone have any tips on what to look for when your new car arrives before you drive it off the lot? For example, looking for any small or minor scratches, dents, damages, underneath the car, etc?

Call me a little paranoid, but it seems like if you don't catch something before you drive it off the lot, you're held liable since there is no way to prove you didn't do it after driving off.

Here's one for the ages: bring an accurate tire pressure gauge and check the tire pressure.

I'll bet the pressure will be low. It immediately puts the lie to the "quality check list" the salesperson will show you. And, once you do it, they are put on notice that you intend to go over every stinkin' thing on the car.

It's a little assholic, but when you are spending the amount of money it takes to buy a BMW, who cares?

Also, if it's a domestic delivery at your local dealer, pay attention to the weather. Go on a bright day. Eat a good breakfast -- stay off the coffee. IOW, get a game face on.

Whatever you find, they'll want to fix. They've already booked the deal and paid the commissions. The holdback paperwork is on its way to BMW NA. IOW, you have maximum leverage.