Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   My 335d Wanted for Emission Performance Testing - Calfornia (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617186)

clippernation 04-26-2012 03:09 PM

My 335d Wanted for Emission Performance Testing - Calfornia

Turns out I got a letter in the mail from the California Air Resources Board stating that they want to study the emission performance of my 335d. They use the Automotive Testing & Development Services, INC (ATDS) to do the study. I was wonder if anyone else in California got this letter and if they are considering it or not. I do hope that this might convince this darn state that our clean diesel emissions are more than up to par (to get rid of that bogus 'smog inspection' that they impose on us). Also, the $2000 compensation do tempt me to participate, but I don't know if its worth letting them have my d.

Snipe656 04-26-2012 03:30 PM

How long do they keep the car? Seems like a hefty compensation so guessing they need it for awhile.

clippernation 04-26-2012 03:35 PM

They said approximately 1 month.

the incentives are:
-check for $2000
-fully insured and fully fueled late-model loan vehicle comparable to your own
-vehicle returned washed, vacuumed and with a full tank of fuel (which actually might be a drawback as i can already picture the swirl marks on my car already haha)
-pick up and delivery of vehicles at your home or workplace

decisions, decisions.

Snipe656 04-26-2012 03:43 PM

Damn, they say how many miles they will put on it?

ratherBeDriving 04-26-2012 04:35 PM

Do it! I would do it...

Dear Mr Brown, I'll give you my car if clippernation won't, just PM me ;)

clippernation 04-26-2012 04:50 PM

Called in and they said less than 100 miles for dyno testing. And that they wont even be taking it out of the facility. Thats what i was really afraid of.

Snipe656 04-26-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clippernation (Post 6797529)
Called in and they said less than 100 miles for dyno testing. And that they wont even be taking it out of the facility. Thats what i was really afraid of.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

WreckerAFG 04-26-2012 11:28 PM

Pretty much an easy 2k.. If I had that opportunity I would do it, too. Well, depends on what loaner car they give you, if it's a Prius, then no way.

bimmerdiesel 04-26-2012 11:31 PM

With <100 miles only concern for me is washing part. If they assure not to wash at all then I might do it. 2k is good money

Snipe656 04-27-2012 03:40 AM

At $2k and <100 miles the washing part would not concern me. I could pay a professional detailer to polish out any possible swirl marks they caused with just a fraction of my new found $2k. Now dings or some other possible damages that maybe could happen while just in their hands for testing all month could fester into some worrying for me.

bayoucity 04-27-2012 05:41 AM

Yeah. I'll do it in the heart beat especially if that is tax-free $2k. In order for me to earn $2k, I need to have gross $3,500 before Fed & CA state taxes. Sigh...

cssnms 04-27-2012 07:33 AM

Chances are this study will do nothing to relieve you of the misery imposed by your liberal state. If anything the state will use your results to further tighten its squeeze on you and the rest of the diesel community. I would tell the state F-OFF.

FlyingLow78 04-27-2012 08:12 AM

The CARB did something similar to this with Honda several years ago. They wanted some of their cars to test the emission performance, and their findings suggested Honda ECUs were unable to detect engine misfires under certain conditions. The CARB (or maybe it was the EPA) sued Honda, and as part of the settlement, Honda had to perform an emission diagnostic (ECU read) between 75K and 150K on the cars, and after 100K the cars were eligible for a free oil change and tune up (cap/rotor/plugs/wires).

Sounds to me like the CARB is hunting for something and they need a sampling of cars to confirm it. I say screw'em, unless the loaner is truly a competitive car.

listerone 04-27-2012 09:30 AM

I wouldn't do it.God only knows what Governor Moonbeam's minions would do to it to foul it up.

Axel61 04-27-2012 10:13 AM

In a heartbeat as long youre not getting screwed later, the car wash HELL no, just give it back to me dirty,Im afraid they will scratch or better yet have them wash the car infront of you. And, BTW is it taxable those $2k

clippernation 04-27-2012 11:14 AM

thanks for the input guys. they said that the loan car will be from hertz or enterprise, and that they'll ensure that i am satisfied with it as i get the final call on whether its acceptable or not. I should hold out for a sl550 :D I know, i know, there's no way they'd approve...but one can always dream! I'll need to check if that 2k is taxable or not. that would be a huge bummer. And of course, if this ends up leading to stricter regulations, then that's no bueno. But im quite confident that the 335d will test out great emissions-wise, as i've read that it has lower CO2 emissions than gas engines in our class.

Concentric190 04-27-2012 11:52 AM

I'd try to haggle for more but I'd probably do it. I'd also say I want the car detailed at the shop of my choice.

cssnms 04-27-2012 02:53 PM

What planet are you from? Oh wait I forgot planet CA. :D

I am afraid you are sadley mistaken if you think the state is going through the trouble and expense for ****s and giggles or to see how impressive your 335d exhaust performs. And as a diesel owner do you really believe they are going to tell you anything about their underlying intentions? The tree huggers that run your state are going to find a reason why your diesel is bad for the environment, regardless how well you think your car will perform, which is sort of hard to quantify since you do not exactly know what they are looking for.

On principle and a general distrust of our govenrments motives I would tell them to pound sand and ask why a state that is virtually bankrupt is wasting my tax $ on testing exhaust emissions! You're not going to get any awards for this, only a few bucks in your pocket, but at what cost?

Just how cheap can you be bought?

Snipe656 04-27-2012 02:59 PM

They are going to get a car no matter what. So either let it be yours and get some money in your pocket or let someone else be the person. But what they find or do not find is destined to happen either way. I'd do it but not really because of the money but the fact it means that ~4k miles of my driving will not be on one of my cars and gives that much more time of ownership. With that said though if I got no money at all then I'd probably pass.

cssnms 04-27-2012 03:08 PM

Right your are but you're missing the point. I am not a sell-out.

Do you want to be part of the problem or part of the solution? Me? I will choose option B every time!

Snipe656 04-27-2012 03:17 PM

Not helping is not going to stop them from testing a car though. It just means a missed chance to get some money and use of someone else's car. If the money is an insignificant amount to someone then that is a fair reason. If the driving a different car for a month is an issue then that too is fair. I think the worry of washing is not all that big a deal but maybe because I am not anal or overly confident with my own washing skills.

But I see what you are saying and your stance. My stance is simply different in that I am accepting no matter what I do, they are going to meet their goal.

bimmerdiesel 04-28-2012 10:44 PM

True whether OP loans it or not someone else will do it. They might have contacted good amount of owners for this purpose.

UncleJ 04-29-2012 07:08 AM

+1 -- it might already be too late if you haven't signed up. There will be plenty of others lined up to get some of "the state's cash" (read: CA residents money) which you can bet will be taxable by both Uncle Striped Pants and Gov Moonbeam! Hey, do it -- makes a nice story to tell, and provides a good week end with dinner at the San Ysidro Ranch in Montecito for you and your lady.:D

bayoucity 04-29-2012 08:14 AM

If you do sign up for the testing, you might want to verify it is not one of those "I owe you" paper considering CA almost bankrupt.

EYE4SPEED 04-30-2012 09:17 PM

I have seen some flyers for this around me as well. It sounded to good to be true. Can you bring the car there and watch them? I'd be worried that they were swapping out expensive parts for used parts... I'm probably just paranoid.