Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   OK, so I just turned 70 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618918)

Gecko10 05-04-2012 10:37 AM

OK, so I just turned 70

and I'm looking at a Z4. Am I being stupid (have more money than brains):D
Actually, I would really like you folk's opinions on ride, comfort and accessibility. My wife and I are both healthy and active.

BTW, closest dealer is 180 miles, not to particularly convenient for test driving.

Thanks!!!

mds730 05-04-2012 12:01 PM

Go for it. I'm 60 and have had my 2011 3.5 Z for a year now. It is my daily car and every day I enjoy it more and more. It is not a quiet, soft riding 5er, it is a sports car to the core. It rides very firm and stiff. In my opinion it is a great car and fun to drive.
I wouldn't be worried about how far away it is to the dealer, I have had no problems at all, just routine service at one year.

Z4golfer 05-04-2012 12:13 PM

WHY NOT?!!
The ride and comfort are pretty good in my opinion, the access is a little tougher but I'm 6'4".
Stay away from the 19" wheels to ensure a smoother ride.

jparnes1 05-04-2012 12:35 PM

It is a very comfortable car, even after an all day drive. The biggest deterrent to ride comfort are the road flat tires. Many people, myself included, swapped these for regular tires and comfort improves immensely. With the hard top, road noise is virtually like a non-convertible car. All in all, it's an awesome car to drive, but I would definitely get a test drive because you're asking a very biased crowd in this forum!

BlueZ4AZ 05-04-2012 01:27 PM

My 72 year old father just bought a 2012 Mustang GT Convertible. He drives it like it's a Buick LaCrosse, as I have yet to see him get the tachometer over 2000 RPMs....but that's not the point.

Get the car you want. Why should age stop you.

Gecko10 05-04-2012 02:14 PM

Thanks folks

Thanks guys, Based upon your comments I'll probably make the trip to Albuquerque to drive one.

Thanks again.

jparnes1 05-04-2012 02:39 PM

I guess one negative thing is your distance from the dealership. 4 years of free maintenance and possibly other, unplanned need for service can be a pain in the butt if you have to drive 3 hours. but then again, you'd have a really fast car. I bet you can make it in 1 hour!

Glen E 05-04-2012 05:19 PM

180 miles would bother me......nothing is bulletproof and flatbed charges for 180 miles are not cheap......

NV Z 05-04-2012 05:32 PM

I am 6'3" and wish the legroom was about 2" more. Guess I have long legs. But the ride in comfort mode is great. Very smooth. When I switch to sport or sport+ it becomes much stiffer, which of course, you would expect.
One funny thing that I noticed, and I don't know if anyone else has, is that the passenger seat
feels more comfortable than the drivers seat. I have done everything I can to the power drivers seat but can't make it feel the same as the passenger seat.:dunno:
I think you will enjoy the car. I sure do.:thumbup:

fwander 05-04-2012 07:45 PM

I just picked up my Z4 from Atlanta and drove it to NH. Amazing car....

Treat yourself and go for it. Heck - go and lease it and worse case scenario, you are out of it in 3 years.

GL

skier 05-04-2012 11:01 PM

Go for it! You can even take it skiing! :thumbup:

jcm12 05-05-2012 05:29 AM

If you want it, buy it. I know of a man who bought his first Lamborghini at 70, he is now 74 and owns his second Lamborghini. I understand the distance to the dealer is some concern but chances are you will only be driving to the dealer for your yearly service;).

Gecko10 05-05-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jparnes1 (Post 6815007)
I guess one negative thing is your distance from the dealership. 4 years of free maintenance and possibly other, unplanned need for service can be a pain in the butt if you have to drive 3 hours. but then again, you'd have a really fast car. I bet you can make it in 1 hour!

My wife and I both have BMW's so we're use to the drive for service etc. Both of us are retired so time is not an issue.

Gecko10 05-05-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier (Post 6815786)
Go for it! You can even take it skiing! :thumbup:

We are just 40 miles south of Durango, CO so have skied quit a lot at Purgatory and Wolf Creek. Currently have the Cold WX package in my 3281.

judyg951 05-05-2012 07:34 AM

Do it!! We just bought an E93 for a fun car (with a little more luggage space). This is our first convertible, but I'm sure it won't be our last. The car is so quiet with the top up and just a blast to drive with the top down. The only reason we went with the 3 is so we can easily take it on a road trip and have some room for luggage.

crm114 05-05-2012 07:57 AM

All right for you !!!!! I just turned 60 in April and was fortunate to be able to retire at 58. I bought a new 2006 Z4 3.0si at the age of 55 and loved it. I just leased a new 2012 Z4 S28i in April as a "fun" car for me and my wife to enjoy.

Horsedoc67 05-05-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko10 (Post 6814502)
Actually, I would really like you folk's opinions on ride, comfort and accessibility. My wife and I are both healthy and active.

BTW, closest dealer is 180 miles, not to particularly convenient for test driving.

Thanks!!!

I will be 70 in a few months and I bought a loaded 2010 Z4 35i in Jan 2010. I only drive it on nice days which means the top is down 99% of the time. The car is a total joy to drive and it does have the 19" wheels and the Run Flat Tires which I wouldn't be without after slicing a tire on a narrow mountain road and was able to drive a considerable distance to the dealer for replacement. I don't ski but the ski boot works well to carry my shotgun to the sporting clay range. The car is very comfortable even though I have a degenerative spinal condition. If you want it go for it you won't regret it.

PS: My daily driver is a 2011 X3 35i in which I have racked up over 15000 trouble free miles as well in 9 months.

rickb55 05-05-2012 08:36 PM

57 and LUVin IT!!!

Gecko10 05-06-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsedoc67 (Post 6816813)
I will be 70 in a few months and I bought a loaded 2010 Z4 35i in Jan 2010. I only drive it on nice days which means the top is down 99% of the time. The car is a total joy to drive and it does have the 19" wheels and the Run Flat Tires which I wouldn't be without after slicing a tire on a narrow mountain road and was able to drive a considerable distance to the dealer for replacement. I don't ski but the ski boot works well to carry my shotgun to the sporting clay range. The car is very comfortable even though I have a degenerative spinal condition. If you want it go for it you won't regret it.

PS: My daily driver is a 2011 X3 35i in which I have racked up over 15000 trouble free miles as well in 9 months.

Thanks doc. Very Helpful comments!!

Andrew*Debbie 05-06-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko10 (Post 6814502)

Ride is very smooth on standard suspension and 18" wheels. In my opinion the car is slightly under damped on the standard suspension. However we decided to not to get the sport suspension since we aren't going to autocross ours.

Get the sport seats!!!! They are more comfortable than the standard seats and more adjustable.

Our e89 is one of the most comfortable cars we've ever owned. That is saying a lot as it is our sixth BMW. Passenger side has more room than the driver's side. (At least on our RHD car) The interior is not symmetrical. One of those things you might not notice on a test drive.

With the roof up, it is a bit tight to get in. For me the easiest way to get in the car is to go in head first, lean across to the passenger side, and then pull my feet in. I learned this trick driving a Caterham 7.

Trunk space is limited if you want to put the top down.

Glen E 05-06-2012 08:29 AM

I will say this again, I am surprised most of you are advising to just "go get it" when the nearest diagnostic computer/parts/tech skill is 180 miles away......My '12 Z4 the second day had the HVAC system go dead. A simple hookup to the dealer diagnostic found a minor software fualt and was corrected. I 'd hate to drive 180 miles sweating, to fix something in 5 min...these cars are not bulletproof no matter how much "good times" you want the guy to have...NO CAR IS......

PS - I am 62....

Gecko10 05-06-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie (Post 6817503)

Get the sport seats!!!! They are more comfortable than the standard seats and more adjustable. .

Great tips. Thanks Andrew! What is a 20i and your opinion of the engine in yours would be appreciated. Beautiful, beautiful car!!

Gecko10 05-06-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen E (Post 6817532)
I will say this again, I am surprised most of you are advising to just "go get it" when the nearest diagnostic computer/parts/tech skill is 180 miles away......My '12 Z4 the second day had the HVAC system go dead. A simple hookup to the dealer diagnostic found a minor software fualt and was corrected. I 'd hate to drive 180 miles sweating, to fix something in 5 min...these cars are not bulletproof no matter how much "good times" you want the guy to have...NO CAR IS......

PS - I am 62....

Thanks for the concern Glen, but this is not "my first dance" with a new BMW. Sadly we, in fly over country, have little choice, if we don't want a Ford or Chevy.:cry:

Glen E 05-06-2012 03:56 PM

Sincerley, Good luck then....not sure what "first dance" has to do with it......driving long Dist for service is not my cup of tea, that's all....

Andrew*Debbie 05-07-2012 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko10 (Post 6818068)
Great tips. Thanks Andrew! What is a 20i and your opinion of the engine in yours would be appreciated. Beautiful, beautiful car!!

Thanks. I take it you've been looking at my photos. . .

The sDrive20i isn't sold in the US. It is the same N20 engine as the sDrive28i de-tuned in software to 184HP. The cars are nearly identical. The main differences are about 50hp and about 4,000.
184HP is more than enough power here. Nearly every other car on the road is slower and speed limits are heavily enforced.

Pro:

Good power delivery with full torque available over a wide power range. You wouldn't know it was turbo charged. The engine is flat-rated. It hits full power at fairly low RPM and the engine software keeps it there until the red line. That make the car very easy to drive. Very smooth with less vibration than most 4-cylinder engines. BMW must have worked their engineers hard to get it so smooth. It is on the loud side but that is on purpose. The motor has a nice growl to it that is unlike other BMWs we've owned.

Minor annoyance:
There is an electronic sound generator that plays engine 'sound enhancement' through the speakers. The sound generator isn't that loud but I wish I could turn it off.

Cons:
For some unknown reason BMW choose to remove hill start assist from both N20 powered Z4s. Not an issue if you are buying an Automatic. If you are looking at the 6-speed I'll point you at links to my posts in another forum.

Fuel Economy isn't close to what BMW promised. I realize that "YMMV" and the UK fuel economy numbers are always optimistic. Still, I had hoped for better than 24mpg-US

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1336401366