Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Jumps forward after put in park and turned off (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619705)

bkdave2atl 05-08-2012 04:04 PM

Jumps forward after put in park and turned off
 
My 7 family, just started having an issue with my car jumping forward after I put in park and turn the it off... Has anyone experienced this? All info and help is appreciated an welcome.

N62B44 SGM 05-08-2012 04:39 PM

Are you releasing your brake as your pressing the park button? I know if I let go too fast it moves forward a bit. As long as I have brake pressed throughout, no problem.

bkdave2atl 05-08-2012 04:55 PM

I always press the brake then put in park whether it's on a hill or not. I thought it jumped forward cause I was on a decline but it did the same thing when I was on level ground.

Khabar 05-08-2012 07:07 PM

i have the same thing. just hold the brake longer 2-3 sec after u turned the car off.

bobbrum 05-08-2012 09:01 PM

Yes, that is normal. The 7 is anxious to do more driving after it is parked ;)

samadkins29 05-09-2012 08:41 AM

That "jump" is the car locking into the transmission. It should do it on level ground or any decline/incline.

bkdave2atl 05-09-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samadkins29 (Post 6823333)
That "jump" is the car locking into the transmission. It should do it on level ground or any decline/incline.

i dont know bro, i will try a make a quick vid, i was thinking its about time to change the guibo and seals on the drive shaft because i also sometimes hear a "ping" when i put it into drive.

canuckdon 05-09-2012 09:39 AM

My understanding is the parking brake works on all 4 wheels when the engine is running, and when you shut the ignition off, only the rear brakes are held, so if there is any loading on the suspension, then when the front brakes are released, a small movement may occur.

bkdave2atl 05-09-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckdon (Post 6823501)
My understanding is the parking brake works on all 4 wheels when the engine is running, and when you shut the ignition off, only the rear brakes are held, so if there is any loading on the suspension, then when the front brakes are released, a small movement may occur.

:typing:that makes sense, ive never really put the car in park without the pressing the brake button, i'll try it out.

DFEL750I 05-09-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkdave2atl (Post 6823519)
:typing:that makes sense, ive never really put the car in park without the pressing the brake button, i'll try it out.

The car should not be jumping forward in any way whether you are on an incline or flat. At most you should feel some slight movement when the parking brake is applied and you take your foot of the brake as the suspension relaxes.

The fact that you are feeling something different that you didnt experience before means that something is wrong. Does the car jump forward when coming to a stop with the engine on? or does it only happen after you are parked and you turn off the car and release the brake.

bkdave2atl 05-09-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFEL750I (Post 6823628)
The car should not be jumping forward in any way whether you are on an incline or flat. At most you should feel some slight movement when the parking brake is applied and you take your foot of the brake as the suspension relaxes.

The fact that you are feeling something different that you didnt experience before means that something is wrong. Does the car jump forward when coming to a stop with the engine on? or does it only happen after you are parked and you turn off the car and release the brake.

it only happens when i turn the car off, while the car is on nothing.:dunno: i'll try to load a vid so you guys can see.

politby 05-09-2012 12:52 PM

Same symptom here. I am thinking maybe it is something with the control arm bushings.

canuckdon 05-09-2012 02:24 PM

both my 03 and my 08 did/do it, I think it's normal operation.

Guest091814 05-09-2012 02:45 PM

I've never had this issue and mine was a problematic 7. No, it's not normal.

canuckdon 05-09-2012 03:52 PM

do you always engage your parkinig brake? try stopping, then with foot brake on, but still in drive, engage the parking brake, then put in park, release foot brake, and then stop engine, usually about 2-3 seaconds after engine stops, the car will move, sometimes almost imperceptibly, other times quite obvious. Hoping this is normal, but maybe there is something up.??

DFEL750I 05-09-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckdon (Post 6824172)
both my 03 and my 08 did/do it, I think it's normal operation.

That's a weird coincidence because mine does not do this. Maybe both of your cars had the same issue or you are doing something weird when shutting the card down. The car shouldn't be jumping.

Guest091814 05-09-2012 05:36 PM

This is a "common" problem with BMW, but that doesn't mean it's "normal". Just like many other "common" problems our 7's have that aren't normal.

Anyone who has this issue and thinks it is or was told by dealer it is normal are in denial. A car, especially of this status, should not "jerk" or "move" suddenly forward when turning the car off. That's just ridiulous. If you happen to park close to a wall or a car in front of you then that sudden jerk might just smash your 7's front. Have it looked over by a good Indy or the Sdealer. I remember when my car was having jerking reactions in low gear I was told by Toronto dealer that it was "normal" - what a douche*!

Seven11 05-09-2012 07:07 PM

mine doesnt jump anywhere!

pelonx1st 05-09-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven11 (Post 6824722)
mine doesnt jump anywhere!

The only thing that my car jumps is other cars :D wonk wonk wonk*

TUF-FKR 05-09-2012 10:25 PM

My car does the same exact thing. It moves about 2" after I completely shut down (Put in P, Parking brake on, shut engine down). Slight jerk. Dont know?! Mine has always done that. No other transmission issues to report. Just emissions right now...

bkdave2atl 05-10-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUF-FKR (Post 6825153)
My car does the same exact thing. It moves about 2" after I completely shut down (Put in P, Parking brake on, shut engine down). Slight jerk. Dont know?! Mine has always done that. No other transmission issues to report. Just emissions right now...

exactly, no trans problems as well

DFEL750I 05-10-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkdave2atl (Post 6826257)
exactly, no trans problems as well

If you guys want to convince yourself that this is normal because it is a common problem then by all means go ahead. I didnt know that I had an issue with my logic 7 amp until I heard one that worked right because most of them out there are broken.

Also seems like people are decribing different things. It is normal for the car to move slightly when the suspension relaxes but not lurch forward in any way. Most people out there with older 7 maybe have issues with the driveshaft flex disk or other components with the suspension with worn bushing extra that can cause things like this.

canuckdon 05-10-2012 02:16 PM

My car doesn't 'lurch' forward, and its probably never more than a 1/2 inch, but it does move. I'll mention it to the stealer next time it is in.

cmpcpro 12-06-2012 11:34 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was told when you apply the parking brake while the car is ON it applies with brake fluid like normal brakes. When you shut the car off and get that jerk it's because it is engaging the mechanical parking break and releasing the "actual brakes".

CJ745NZ 12-07-2012 01:01 AM

Correct. When the engine is running the hydraulic system activates all 4 brakes as if you are sitting with your foot on the brake. When you shut the engine off the hydraulics stop working and the mechanical park brake grips only the rear brakes. You will get a slight 'kick' as the park brake takes over.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms