Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Best BMW VIN decoder I've seen yet (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619789)

KevinC 05-08-2012 09:50 PM

Best BMW VIN decoder I've seen yet
 
There are a few ways to pull this info, some free, some not, and most a PITA. But this one at BMW Russia is dead-nuts simple. Give'r a go...

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

flossy21 05-09-2012 04:41 AM

Good find!
 
Very detailed and dead nuts accurate for my car right down to the options an upholstery.

Thanks!

ashevillez3 05-09-2012 06:03 AM

Thanks for posting. Just pulled mine up.

GeorgeT 05-09-2012 06:38 AM

Complete description of car and options but horsepower is underrated unless the europeans use a different method for measuring: my '08 535i has 300 hp vs. 225 reported; my '03 Z4 3.0i has 225 hp vs. 170 reported and my '07 750i has 360 hp vs. 270 reported.

KevinC 05-09-2012 07:10 AM

Nice that your production date is included too... since I always celebrate my cars' birthdays. :)

Stromtech 05-09-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeT (Post 6823183)
Complete description of car and options but horsepower is underrated unless the europeans use a different method for measuring: my '08 535i has 300 hp vs. 225 reported; my '03 Z4 3.0i has 225 hp vs. 170 reported and my '07 750i has 360 hp vs. 270 reported.

The European numbers are Kilowatts

Here is a converter site:
http://calculator-converter.com/conv...calculator.php

tmoua328 05-09-2012 07:21 AM

The discrepancies in engine output is because the the US market measures in hp and the European/Asia standard is in kilowatts (kW). The power conversion is approx 1 hp = 0.746 kW.

I was a bit confused myself when my dealership gave me a print out of my '00 M Roadster's description and options; the printout stated the engine output was around 179 instead of 240. But thank goodness I paid attention in high school physics many many years ago to realize the possible reason for the difference :)

AndrewF 05-11-2012 01:45 AM

Great to know what options were fitted at manufacture, especially when the vehicle went from the States to Japan and is now in Thailand! Downloaded a manual, but was wondering what of the options were fitted. Now I know. Thanks for the post.

Andrew

MMME30W 05-11-2012 02:11 AM

That is pretty cool!!

BK85 05-13-2012 07:07 PM

Great decoder! I noticed it stated that my car had "Hardtop-Preparation" Just how prepared would that be?:dunno:

BK85

ShakyDog 05-14-2012 12:12 PM

Great after I looked up both vehicles, Boris and Natasha called and want to know if I know where Moose and Squirrel are located.

:-)

Steve

Blue57 07-30-2012 10:11 AM

Dead nuts simple and accurate...
 
Finally! Thanks for posting this! It is exactly what I've been looking for. It's nice that you only have to enter the serial number portion of the VIN and it gives you all the details. It's amazing to me that BMW doesn't make this information readily available to it's customers. No, instead we have to go to a Russian website to find it. Thanks again!

ZR2Mike 07-30-2012 01:48 PM

Thanks for posting. Great info. I'm saving my results as a pdf for future reference.

And thanks for the explanation of US horsepower vs EU kilowatts :thumbup:

It's interesting that it's a Russian domain name, however, the server is in Germany. Just a curiosity. This leads me to believe the info is coming directly from a BMW database in Germany. Nice :)

PhillyNate 07-30-2012 04:42 PM

Might be a dumb question but what is Telematics access request,country-spec?

amancuso 07-30-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK85 (Post 6832290)
Great decoder! I noticed it stated that my car had "Hardtop-Preparation" Just how prepared would that be?:dunno:

BK85

Might mean that your car was originally ordered with the hardtop. Do you have a rear windscreen defog button in the back portion of the console?

SD Z4MR 07-30-2012 06:20 PM

I checked it out and it seems pretty accurate except that it showed my upholstery code as LSSW. I have the Extended Leather and that's code LTSW.

Can anyone tell me this means:
Drive: HECK
ETA: Never mind, now it shows the upholstery code correctly as VL WALKNAPPA/SCHWARZ (LTSW)

KBH22102 07-31-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Z4MR (Post 6981437)
Can anyone tell me this means:
Drive: HECK

I think it means you have rear wheel drive.

My 1997 M52 2.8 says "Special Motor" code S961A. wonder what that means? I think my car has an aluminum block which was unique to the Z3

Jeffsbiz 09-09-2012 07:39 AM

Best BMW VIN decoder I've seen yet
 
Pulled mine up and it was right on. Thanks for sharing. I'm trying to find out if I can hook my iphone up to mine, if I need mods and what mods if I do need them. Mines a 2004 545i prod date 2/3/04 if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

BK85 09-09-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amancuso (Post 6981319)
Might mean that your car was originally ordered with the hardtop. Do you have a rear windscreen defog button in the back portion of the console?

Nope.

SC2003Z4 09-10-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue57 (Post 6980520)
Finally! Thanks for posting this! It is exactly what I've been looking for. It's nice that you only have to enter the serial number portion of the VIN and it gives you all the details. It's amazing to me that BMW doesn't make this information readily available to it's customers. No, instead we have to go to a Russian website to find it. Thanks again!

:rofl:Dude, you know those Russians and their intel...

Cbinc 09-12-2012 03:50 PM

How long until I can use this vin site? My car went into production yesterday and my number isn't pulling up any results.

Honker 09-12-2012 05:50 PM

So does production date mean the date it was started or the date it was finished? Mine showed 09/11 as production date

rsutoratosu 09-13-2012 04:55 PM

Mine has this "Interior/outside mirror with auto dip"

Does everyone's show that too ? I know it doesn't dip, got me interested, can I get dipping ?

KevinC 09-13-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsutoratosu (Post 7072657)
Mine has this "Interior/outside mirror with auto dip"

Does everyone's show that too ? I know it doesn't dip, got me interested, can I get dipping ?

If it's like my E46, whether it auto-dips or not depends on where you have the switch set to control the side mirrors. I *think* you set it to control the passenger side mirror, and it will auto-dip. If you're already set that way, try the opposite.

gimmethemuumuu 01-02-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyNate (Post 6981238)
Might be a dumb question but what is Telematics access request,country-spec?

Probably BMW Assist (here in the States)--would be my guess :dunno:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms