Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   F10 M Performance 535i Exhaust is a Joke! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619798)

Gre8tW8LL 05-08-2012 11:24 PM

F10 M Performance 535i Exhaust is a Joke!

I just received and email back from www.getBMWparts.com (Tischer BMW in Maryland) stating there’s no performance enhancement on the exhaust other than the looks and sound for the system. :thumbdwn: I'd be ashamed to even release an exhaust for it being strictly cosmetics and to even classify it as an "M Performance product" :cry: Come ‘on BMW, stop being stingy and manufacture some "high performance" mods.

Die Wolfe 05-09-2012 11:44 AM

Just another reason for me to wait for Dinan...

DreamCar 05-09-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Wolfe (Post 6823918)
Just another reason for me to wait for Dinan...

For next three years :dunno:

Die Wolfe 05-09-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamCar (Post 6823929)
For next three years :dunno:

Just like the wait for the build of my 535; I have faith the wait for Dinan will be worth it! :D

DreamCar 05-09-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Die Wolfe (Post 6823938)
Just like the wait for the build of my 535; I have faith the wait for Dinan will be worth it! :D

I thought i am the only Dumb *** who waited 6 months for the car! :rofl::p

Die Wolfe 05-09-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamCar (Post 6823947)
I thought i am the only Dumb *** who waited 6 months for the car! :rofl::p

Hahahaha!!!

Needsdecaf 05-09-2012 11:58 AM

FYI, almost all turbo exhausts are minimal power gains, unless accompanied by a tune. Just saying.

ayu910 05-09-2012 01:26 PM

Better value to go with downpipe without cat

Die Wolfe 05-09-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 6823959)
FYI, almost all turbo exhausts are minimal power gains, unless accompanied by a tune. Just saying.

Of course; that's why I'm ever so patiently waiting for a Dinan exhaust and tune...whenever that may be! :(

Mark K 05-09-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

+1

Since we have same engine (but probably different exhaust) I can tell you that the "sound" improvement with just BMW Performance Power Kit V1 (~ $800 at the dealer) is major. I'm still pondering whether to spring $2,000 for a BMW performance exhaust - I'm already driving, since December, with windows open when it's above 40 degrees like an idiot just to hear the sound. Can't help it.

However, I'm perfectly fine with (now) 320 hp and I do not ask for more. But that sound ... ohhh, that SOUND!

EDIT: this is to OP, not Needsdecaf

5seriesHB 05-09-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark K (Post 6824513)
+1

Since we have same engine (but probably different exhaust) I can tell you that the "sound" improvement with just BMW Performance Power Kit V1 (~ $800 at the dealer) is major. I'm still pondering whether to spring $2,000 for a BMW performance exhaust - I'm already driving, since December, with windows open when it's above 40 degrees like an idiot just to hear the sound. Can't help it.

However, I'm perfectly fine with (now) 320 hp and I do not ask for more. But that sound ... ohhh, that SOUND!

EDIT: this is to OP, not Needsdecaf

Sound clip is now mandatory : popcorn:

Mark K 05-11-2012 10:02 AM

It will have to wait, unless parked I have no means to record it properly. Now that you mentioned it, I have been playing with the idea to get a GoPro since I've seen that there's a wireless microphone option available. I think I will get it before summer ends. The plan is to tape the microphone in the middle of the rear bumper between exhaust pipes and run thin wire into the trunk. Wireless microphone unit stays there and the camera in the cabin.

I'll gladly post it once I get around to mount everything and go for a proper drive to record it.

Before that, main features PPK brings to exhaust on N55:

- very bassy tone between 1,800 and 2,200 rpms (heard/felt even with windows closed)
- burble on overrun
- POW! on overrun when engine is close to redline
- generally meaner tone then on stock engine

Who knows, maybe I will go for PE by that time, too :)

bb2405 05-20-2012 04:30 PM

I've got the Megan Racing Quad axle back exhaust and it sounds great, i also took out the resonator which made it more throaty, and the whole set up was under $1000

Mark K 12-01-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5seriesHB (Post 6824524)
Sound clip is now mandatory : popcorn:

OK, I finally got to it. Rig is GoPro Hero2 with external mic (see two posts above).

Car is full stock except for BMW PPK stage 1.

Video got crippled a lot while uploading to Youtube (had to convert it from MPEG4 in Windows Movie Maker otherwise it wouldn't upload) - get your sound way up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmWpt...ature=youtu.be

djsilo 12-01-2012 06:17 PM

Nice sound!

WB&BLUE5 12-03-2012 11:53 PM

I just purchased the M sport Exhaust I believe it has a nice tune to it. I had the Magnaflow exhaust, which was Catback felt a little bit more power but the car needed a tune because the car started to run rich and left soot all over my white bumper. This one is a axle back enhancement and doesnt need a tune just a good professional to install. I plan on making a video on a cold start and couple of revs and hard passes.

BigDeep1 12-04-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark K (Post 7225562)
OK, I finally got to it. Rig is GoPro Hero2 with external mic (see two posts above).

Video got crippled a lot while uploading to Youtube (had to convert it from MPEG4 in Windows Movie Maker otherwise it wouldn't upload) - get your sound way up :)

Thanks for sharing the video. Sounds muscular.

Anyone know if this PPK stage 1 is offered for the F10 n55? Also, what does that kit entail?

Mark K 12-04-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDeep1 (Post 7230117)
Thanks for sharing the video. Sounds muscular.

Anyone know if this PPK stage 1 is offered for the F10 n55? Also, what does that kit entail?

I can't say for sure that it is offered for F10 N55, but it is only a software mod, no other parts of the car are touched. The invoice price was $595 exactly a year ago, you'll have to negotiate with the dealer to bring it to reasonable levels for OTD price. But anything below $1,000 is still a steal considering the price for OEM performance exhaust. I paid just a touch over $800.

Yes, the sound is definitely more "mean" than the stock. The stock still sounded pretty good, but it didn't have the edge of modified ECU and there were definitely no burbles or POW! sounds coming out of the exhaust before.

enigma 12-04-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gre8tW8LL (Post 6822911)
I just received and email back from www.getBMWparts.com (Tischer BMW in Maryland) stating there’s no performance enhancement on the exhaust other than the looks and sound for the system. :thumbdwn: I'd be ashamed to even release an exhaust for it being strictly cosmetics and to even classify it as an "M Performance product" :cry: Come ‘on BMW, stop being stingy and manufacture some "high performance" mods.

I am not surprised at all. In fact, it's par for the course. Half the stuff on the M-Performance catalog are non-performance related (e.g. carbon-fiber mirror caps), and BMW is whoring out the "M" brand for more "M"oney and "M"arketing.

rezo 12-04-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark K (Post 6824513)
I'm already driving, since December, with windows open when it's above 40 degrees like an idiot just to hear the sound. Can't help it.

LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

RambleJ 12-04-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WB&BLUE5 (Post 7229726)
I just purchased the M sport Exhaust I believe it has a nice tune to it. I had the Magnaflow exhaust, which was Catback felt a little bit more power but the car needed a tune because the car started to run rich and left soot all over my white bumper. This one is a axle back enhancement and doesnt need a tune just a good professional to install. I plan on making a video on a cold start and couple of revs and hard passes.

I don't believe changing your exhaust would make your car run rich...:dunno:
How was the sound on the magna flow cat back?
I had that exhaust on my E60 535 and loved it.

smashhell 12-04-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark K (Post 7225562)

WOOW! I must say WOW!

That sounded awesome!

Sounded so much like a mean musle car.

Actually it's so silmiar to this video I watched today its crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0UX4mzm44

I think it's much better than my Magnaflow Exhaust. How is the drone?

For my review of the Magnaflow and sound clip click here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...921&highlight=

Keyser Soze 12-05-2012 09:05 AM

...so essentially "The F10 M Performance 535i Exhaust is NOT a Joke!" provided one is only looking for sound.

KingpenM3 12-05-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

My first thought was that BMW is simply telling the truth about the minimal power gains, where aftermarket companies simply lie about the "gains" they get.

BigDeep1 12-05-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingpenM3 (Post 7232310)
My first thought was that BMW is simply telling the truth about the minimal power gains, where aftermarket companies simply lie about the "gains" they get.

+1

The gains from cat-back exhausts are minimal. If any power is gained, it would likely be negated by the torque lost.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a huge fan of aftermarket exhausts as I feel it really adds to the driving experience and excitement :thumbup:.