Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Port or Dealer Installed Exhaust? Help. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621626)

Tama20206 05-17-2012 10:10 PM

Port or Dealer Installed Exhaust? Help.
 
Hello, first time poster.

My long awaited M3 hits the ports on 5/23. Arctic white on black. CF roof, DCT, Comp and a few other items.

I'm looking to put the BMW Performance Exhaust on it and my options are to have it port installed, which allows me to wrap it under the lease or have it dealer installed and purchase it outright. I'm going with a 2 year lease. If I go with the port install the residual increases by about $700 and I pay about $3000 for the exhaust in extra payments over the lease. A purchase would be $3600 installed.

My questions revolve around turning the car in at the end of the lease. If I purchase it at the dealer, I will have the standard exhaust which I would then work to sell. But at lease end, do i turn it in w/the performance exhaust? BMW won't give a credit.

With the port installation, I'm being told I wouldn't receive a credit for the existing exhaust when the put the PE on and I get dinged when I turn the car back in.

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue and the pros and cons they saw.

Thanks.

enigma 05-17-2012 10:26 PM

I haven't heard the term "port-installed". Are you saying that the part will be installed at the port of entry (i.e. VPC or Vehicle Preparation Center)? If so, I didn't realize the VPC actually did this type of work before delivery.

If you are leasing your car, it probably makes sense to have it rolled into the lease, so that you aren't paying for the full price of the part. It also makes the lease return easier.

However, I have a little trouble follow your math. I am not sure what your residual % is, but it has to be a lot better than roughly 20% (which is what your numbers are indicating unless the residual is calculated different for the added part).





Quote:

Originally Posted by Tama20206 (Post 6841896)
Hello, first time poster.

My long awaited M3 hits the ports on 5/23. Arctic white on black. CF roof, DCT, Comp and a few other items.

I'm looking to put the BMW Performance Exhaust on it and my options are to have it port installed, which allows me to wrap it under the lease or have it dealer installed and purchase it outright. I'm going with a 2 year lease. If I go with the port install the residual increases by about $700 and I pay about $3000 for the exhaust in extra payments over the lease. A purchase would be $3600 installed.

My questions revolve around turning the car in at the end of the lease. If I purchase it at the dealer, I will have the standard exhaust which I would then work to sell. But at lease end, do i turn it in w/the performance exhaust? BMW won't give a credit.

With the port installation, I'm being told I wouldn't receive a credit for the existing exhaust when the put the PE on and I get dinged when I turn the car back in.

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue and the pros and cons they saw.

Thanks.


taxguru 05-18-2012 06:00 AM

Don't know about leases as I purchased mine. However I did consider having one installed and they do it at the VPC after clearing customs. I actually tried to get it installed at the factory before my ED, but BMW won't do that. I guess it has something to do with emissions or something...

Sorry I can't answer the lease question, but I can tell you that if it were me, I'd buy the exhaust outright and then before I turned the car back in, I'd have the stock exhaust put back on the car and then try to sell the PE - I'm sure someone would buy it and you could get some of your $ back... just my 2 cents...

335i 05-18-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tama20206 (Post 6841896)
Hello, first time poster.

My long awaited M3 hits the ports on 5/23. Arctic white on black. CF roof, DCT, Comp and a few other items.

I'm looking to put the BMW Performance Exhaust on it and my options are to have it port installed, which allows me to wrap it under the lease or have it dealer installed and purchase it outright. I'm going with a 2 year lease. If I go with the port install the residual increases by about $700 and I pay about $3000 for the exhaust in extra payments over the lease. A purchase would be $3600 installed.

My questions revolve around turning the car in at the end of the lease. If I purchase it at the dealer, I will have the standard exhaust which I would then work to sell. But at lease end, do i turn it in w/the performance exhaust? BMW won't give a credit.

With the port installation, I'm being told I wouldn't receive a credit for the existing exhaust when the put the PE on and I get dinged when I turn the car back in.

Curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue and the pros and cons they saw.

Thanks.

Not sure why your residual for the part is different than the car - should be the same, all rolled in. Purchase price goes up, and you should see your residual go up by whatever % of the part you are paying. If you aren't getting this deal, my suggestion is to buy from your dealer, have them install, and a month before your lease ends, swap out the parts and sell the perf. exhaust for a good chunk of what you paid. Or if you want to sell the stock exhaust when you get the perf. exhaust, just buy another stock exhaust prior to lease turn in. Either way, I wouldn't just give the perf. exhaust away.. :dunno:

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma (Post 6841924)
I haven't heard the term "port-installed". Are you saying that the part will be installed at the port of entry (i.e. VPC or Vehicle Preparation Center)? If so, I didn't realize the VPC actually did this type of work before delivery.

If you are leasing your car, it probably makes sense to have it rolled into the lease, so that you aren't paying for the full price of the part. It also makes the lease return easier.

However, I have a little trouble follow your math. I am not sure what your residual % is, but it has to be a lot better than roughly 20% (which is what your numbers are indicating unless the residual is calculated different for the added part).

You can get several enhancements port installed - the m-sport aero lips (335i, etc), tow hitch for the X5, most BMW performance parts, etc., all installed before it hits your dealer. I believe it's the only way to wrap the cost into your lease, as discussed above. If you do Performance Center Delivery the same applies.

Tama20206 05-18-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxguru (Post 6842276)
Don't know about leases as I purchased mine. However I did consider having one installed and they do it at the VPC after clearing customs. I actually tried to get it installed at the factory before my ED, but BMW won't do that. I guess it has something to do with emissions or something...

Sorry I can't answer the lease question, but I can tell you that if it were me, I'd buy the exhaust outright and then before I turned the car back in, I'd have the stock exhaust put back on the car and then try to sell the PE - I'm sure someone would buy it and you could get some of your $ back... just my 2 cents...



Hi, thanks for the responses. To be clear, the car residual was increasing about $700 with the exhaust on not the part. I think the best bet is to go dealer installed, sell the standard exhaust at the beginning then swap out at the end. A bit of a pain changing exhausts but probably the most route financially.

ksoze 05-18-2012 12:13 PM

I was looking into the same thing briefly with my leased car and my dealer said it was not worth residualizing it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms