Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Adaptive Headlight malfunction problem-- HELP!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621762)

sunnyice 05-18-2012 03:41 PM

Adaptive Headlight malfunction problem-- HELP!!

Hi People and fellow 6er owners! I just got my self a 2005 645ci, such a sweet car! I noticed my drivers side headlight started condensing and i got a "Adaptive headlight malfunction" problem on my dash and idrive.

So i started looking around the headlight area and i noticed the the low beam cover was not on properly! so i let all the condensation out and put the cover on properly. I took my car thru a carwash to check and no more condensation!

Now my driver side adaptive headlight function is still now working and the idrive still shows the malfunction and to make it worse I noticed the projector beam is stuck in the high beam position so im blinding everyone out there!

The light still turns ON no problem but it doesnt move anymore and stuck on the high position.
I did some research and found fellow members having the same problem. Most of them pointed out that its the headlight control module under the assembly, and if I replace that it might fix the issue.

I found a bunch of sellers on ebay selling it around $130. I think I am capable of replacing that my self. My local Indy shop quoted me $700:yikes: and stealership wouldnt even touch it. They said its not serviceable and replacement of the assembly is required and qouted upwards of 2k!:mad:

Can anyone give me some advice? I read somewhere that the control unit is only responsible for the left and right movement and not up and down, is this correct? does the control unit need any kind of calibration?

Thanks!

Sunny

-Quinn- 05-18-2012 04:21 PM

I had a similar experience on the passenger side of my 2005. I ended up having an independent shop replace and calibrate the new control module. I think it was in the $300 range for part and labor. Since then I put a layer of silicone around the light access panel in the tire well to "help" keep the moisture out. When you start the car the lights should go through a self leveling procedure, does your light move at all?

sunnyice 05-18-2012 04:51 PM

No, they dont move at all. I know what you're talking about because I had a 5 series with adaptive headlights and they self leveled every time is started the car. But my 6er doesnt.

sunnyice 05-18-2012 04:58 PM

I called 2 Indy shops in my area and they both quoted around $700 for replacing the module! $300 is a really good price!

andyamador 05-18-2012 09:29 PM

I found a seller on ebay and bought the part used for 49 dollars and installed it myself in thirty minutes and worked like a charm. Extremely easy and anyone should be able to do it.

sunnyice 05-19-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyamador (Post 6843718)
I found a seller on ebay and bought the part used for 49 dollars and installed it myself in thirty minutes and worked like a charm. Extremely easy and anyone should be able to do it.

Are you talking about the control unit? Can you give me the part number?

andyamador 05-19-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyice (Post 6843887)
Are you talking about the control unit? Can you give me the part number?

I looked it up on realoem.com for an 06 650i

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...22&hg=63&fg=05

63126939069 $130.78

sunnyice 05-19-2012 12:32 AM

Thanks! So you're saying you had the same exact problem?

sunnyice 05-22-2012 12:37 PM

Bump. Can anyone tell me the exact part i need? i really want to do this my self and not take it to the stealership. thanks.

lancelira 05-22-2012 05:13 PM

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I also have a 2005 645ci. The "Adaptive Headlight" warning is also on mine...but when I start the vehicle, both lights go through the up/down diagnostic. I don't know how to tell if they are working or what the issue is that is resulting in the error message. Any help anyone might offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

umermariner 05-31-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Maybe the same problem with my 530i... I get this error message..
How to pin it down??
Is there any DIY on changing the control unit, or calibrating it (if that is the root cause)?
Thanks .... a lot :)

smd3c7 06-01-2012 11:29 AM

I too am having the adaptive headlight malfunction warning on my 2006 325xi. Am hoping it is an easy DIY fix because I am out of warranty... thanks for the help in advance!!!

sunnyice 06-01-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smd3c7 (Post 6870212)
I too am having the adaptive headlight malfunction warning on my 2006 325xi. Am hoping it is an easy DIY fix because I am out of warranty... thanks for the help in advance!!!

I dont think theres a diy here. most of the people here just take it to the stealership and get it fixed from them.

smd3c7 06-01-2012 12:29 PM

Thanks for the reply and good luck!

swood02 07-30-2012 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Same problem today on my 335d. High and low beams still work manually though. Under warranty so will take to dealer.

Attachment 334890

swood02 08-10-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 6980711)
Same problem today on my 335d. High and low beams still work manually though. Under warranty so will take to dealer.

Attachment 334890

My car is at the dealer today. Fix requires replacing the headlight "stepper motor" and some "reprogramming". Good news is this is warranty repair and I have a 2013 X3 loaner till my car is fixed.

pablo645 08-10-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 7002614)
My car is at the dealer today. Fix requires replacing the headlight "stepper motor" and some "reprogramming". Good news is this is warranty repair and I have a 2013 X3 loaner till my car is fixed.

Thanks for the update. :thumbup: Nothing beats not having to take any thing out of pocket to get fix. :D Stepper motor huh? Maybe this is something for others to look into since all models use the same setup for the adaptive headlights.

umermariner 08-10-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 6980711)

Attachment 334890

You are talking about Adaptive Headlamp problem, or??? If yes, same issue is the culprit for auto high/ low beam?

swood02 08-10-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umermariner (Post 7002900)
You are talking about Adaptive Headlamp problem, or??? If yes, same issue is the culprit for auto high/ low beam?

Adaptive headlights refer to headlights which automatically swivel to follow the curves of the road. Automatic high beams, option 5AC on my car, adjusts for high/low beams when a sensor determines. Sorry to confuse the issue. My car's problem was with the former, not the latter.

umermariner 08-11-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 7003280)
Adaptive headlights refer to headlights which automatically swivel to follow the curves of the road. Automatic high beams, option 5AC on my car, adjusts for high/low beams when a sensor determines. Sorry to confuse the issue. My car's problem was with the former, not the latter.

So, basically your problem was also with Adaptive Headlights.. and you said it needed a new motor, and programming.
In your bill, does it say the part number/ price of motor? And also, any idea what kind of programming is needed?
Thanks.

swood02 08-11-2012 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by umermariner (Post 7003782)
So, basically your problem was also with Adaptive Headlights.. and you said it needed a new motor, and programming.
In your bill, does it say the part number/ price of motor? And also, any idea what kind of programming is needed?
Thanks.

Here's a copy of the meat of the statement I received today when I picked up my car.

As you can see they dried out the headlights, replaced both the left and right control units. and "programmed", whatever that is. The SA wasn't available today when I picked up the car, but I probably will call Monday to see if I can find out what the "programming" amounted to. I did notice all the mileage and fuel consumption tallies had been reset for the vehicle.

As you can see this was indeed a warranty repair, so no charge for me. I asked the clerk who handled the return of the car what the bill to BMW was and she told me $624 or something in that neighborhood. Naturally, she would not release a copy of the bill they will pass on to BMW.

umermariner 08-12-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 7004856)
Here's a copy of the meat of the statement I received today when I picked up my car.

As you can see they dried out the headlights, replaced both the left and right control units. and "programmed", whatever that is. The SA wasn't available today when I picked up the car, but I probably will call Monday to see if I can find out what the "programming" amounted to. I did notice all the mileage and fuel consumption tallies had been reset for the vehicle.

As you can see this was indeed a warranty repair, so no charge for me. I asked the clerk who handled the return of the car what the bill to BMW was and she told me $624 or something in that neighborhood. Naturally, she would not release a copy of the bill they will pass on to BMW.

Interesting... I guess that is one of the reason I see a lot less DIY for E60 as compared to E46...
I have a new problem now :)... last night, my driver side headlamp wouldnt turn on... then it turned on.... and then off again :)... When looking at the light, and turning it on/ off, or moving between high beam and low beam, I could see it trying to turn on for a fraction of second, but then failed..
Will give it few days, and then open it up... seems like Ballast issue :(

swood02 08-15-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 7004856)

I talked to the SA yesterday. He said that the headlight control units have serial numbers which won't be recognized by the car's software unless it is taught to do so, which is accomplished by the "programming". He also stated that the software update included not only what was needed by the headlight control unit change, but any updates for any other purpose which had not already been applied previously to my car. He said that the headlight assemblies have vents to release accumulated moisture, but that the seals surrounding the lights were in good shape. These things are not as simple as the sealed beams I had on my 1955 Chevy.

umermariner 08-15-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swood02 (Post 7012874)
I talked to the SA yesterday. He said that the headlight control units have serial numbers which won't be recognized by the car's software unless it is taught to do so, which is accomplished by the "programming". He also stated that the software update included not only what was needed by the headlight control unit change, but any updates for any other purpose which had not already been applied previously to my car. He said that the headlight assemblies have vents to release accumulated moisture, but that the seals surrounding the lights were in good shape. These things are not as simple as the sealed beams I had on my 1955 Chevy.

hmmmmmmmmmmm...
True... these things are really not SIMPLE :(... Good as well as bad :)

umermariner 09-15-2012 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Is that what you are talking about (in the picture). I can took out both headlights, and can replace it fairly easy (I have to take out light anyway, to replace igniter, max half an hr job), and can get it on ebay for around 50-60 bucks.. However, do I need to program? if I do, what (I can do some programming).
I have 2006, 530 I. Dont have enough money to give 700 to dealer for both :(.
Thanks again.