Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Am I the only one who's interested in a diesel X1? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621969)

AutoUnion 05-19-2012 05:45 PM

Am I the only one who's interested in a diesel X1?
 
I can't be the only one :rofl:

dandanio 05-20-2012 06:46 PM

No, I would love a 3.0T R6 diesel in an X1. But one can only dream. :)

brkf 05-20-2012 07:59 PM

Diesel 6 would intrigue me (the equivalent engine to the 330d). The 20d isn't as interesting to me. The engine in the X5/e90 335d seems a bit too powerful too.

Lavalamp425 05-21-2012 11:31 AM

I'm absolutely interested in a diesel. The "fun" side of me would prefer the 30d, while the "frugal" side would prefer the 20d (or perhaps the 23d).

3ismagic# 05-21-2012 05:36 PM

I would interested in a diesel as well.

kjboyd 05-21-2012 06:31 PM

me too

TechieTechie 05-22-2012 08:54 PM

If it was a manual diesel AWD, I'd already have a deposit down....

mason 06-12-2012 06:39 AM

I would love a diesel but it doesn't offer 3.0 diesel. 25d is the highest output BMW offers. It gives you 218hp and 450nm in a 2.0 4 cylinders set up. Which is not bad.

X3 Skier 06-17-2012 05:25 AM

Looked at an Audi A3 but no diesel with MT. You can get it with AT but no AWD according to the salesman. Of course we all know they are not the most knowledgeable. :rolleyes:

All I want is a MT. Diesel is a desirement, not a requirement. :angel:

Cheers

Claymoor83 06-18-2012 11:52 AM

I am starting to wonder about Diesel Technology here in the states. Just not the enthusiam that I had hoped. If they made an X1 Diesel that was a MT, THEN you might be onto something. But I am excited about the X1

brkf 06-18-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claymoor83 (Post 6902295)
I am starting to wonder about Diesel Technology here in the states. Just not the enthusiam that I had hoped. If they made an X1 Diesel that was a MT, THEN you might be onto something. But I am excited about the X1

VW sells its diesels out. Half of A3 sales are TDI. Diesel could be huge if they put it in the most logical vehicles: SUVs, CUVs. There's no reason Americans are driving 4k lbs trucks that get 22 mpg highway when a diesel will push that to over 26 mpg on the freeway.

ND40oz 06-18-2012 03:29 PM

Rented an xDrive 18d, its performance was meh, wish Sixt would have had a 25d, probably would have been a lot better but not enough to make me want one over a 28i.

mason 06-19-2012 06:42 AM

I actually think there is a hold back on diesel models by manufacturers. I was really reading articles about auto parts manufacturers - both BorgWarner and Bosch said (based on the demand on their products) look like there will be a large increase in diesel models in US market around 2013 and 2014.

I think BMW is quite conservative on this front. They are not sure if diesel would sell as well as gas in US. They are very concern about their bottomline given they are smaller than Benz and VW. They believe they don't have as big of a margin of error than the other 2. So they are doing the wait-and-see. If VW continues its diesel in VW, Audi and now Porsche and Benz in E, M, GL and now S and GLK, BMW has to do something, especially if there was a clear signs of BMW customers switch over. In addition, BMW is currently MPG is over CAFE standard (I don't know where VW and Benz stand on this) given 2014 CAFE standard is more restrictiive, introduction of diesel makes sense. The other key is the i brand. Who knows how successful it will be. The current all electric models need an 8-hours charge to go 100 miles.

Hybrid has been in this market for at least 15 years, market share hasn't increased that much. A latest study indicates the cost is still too high. Even with government incentive, it takes minimum 10-15 years to offset the premium. BMW failed massively in X6 hybrid. Let's see how it does in 3,5,7. If BMW is so concerned about profitability, they may as well put its time, energy and money into research and promoting diesel. They may just be able to sell more cars with less expenses.

investor27 06-19-2012 12:48 PM

Exactly. I would love to see a X1 diesel here in the state this fall with a manual transmission. But if that doesn't happen, I would still purchase an automatic diesel as well. It doesn't matter which one BMW brings over. They just need to bring the diesel over right now (this fall)...not in 2013.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueguydotcom (Post 6902776)
VW sells its diesels out. Half of A3 sales are TDI. Diesel could be huge if they put it in the most logical vehicles: SUVs, CUVs. There's no reason Americans are driving 4k lbs trucks that get 22 mpg highway when a diesel will push that to over 26 mpg on the freeway.


petriej 07-03-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieTechie (Post 6851266)
If it was a manual diesel AWD, I'd already have a deposit down....

This.

I've been playing with the BMW NA configurator and man, I sure do want an X1.

But alas, no xDrive manual X1, and no diesels, either. :(

investor27 07-08-2012 09:27 AM

The Audi A3 TDI doesn't have all-wheel-drive, and for the life of me I don't know why BMW won't be bringing over the X1 25d this fall. I went ahead and ordered the X1. And when the X1 25d comes out next year, I may try to trade my X1 in for it if I can get a good deal for the trade. I'm hoping that people here are so ignorant about diesel that the X1 petro is more desireable than the X1 diesel by then. However, VW and Audi are selling tons of diesels, so I will be keeping my fingers crossed.

AzNMpower32 07-08-2012 10:49 AM

I'm interested in a diesel X1, but I'm not holding out any hope for it. Given that the X1 is halfway thru its lifecycle, it doesn't make much monetary sense for BMW to certify a diesel drivetrain just for a few more years. In addition, BMW probably isn't ready to sell a 4-cyl diesel in North America for a while, especially in a lower-volume vehicle like the X1.

investor27 07-08-2012 11:38 PM

But BMW has already gone on records during the North America X1 debut at the New York Auto Show that the X1 diesel will be released here early 2013.

AzNMpower32 07-09-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by investor27 (Post 6940875)
But BMW has already gone on records during the North America X1 debut at the New York Auto Show that the X1 diesel will be released here early 2013.

Source/quote?

AutoUnion 07-09-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mason (Post 6903830)
I actually think there is a hold back on diesel models by manufacturers. I was really reading articles about auto parts manufacturers - both BorgWarner and Bosch said (based on the demand on their products) look like there will be a large increase in diesel models in US market around 2013 and 2014.

The only holdback is BMW, while VAG and MB have no problem brining more diesels. Within the next couple years, almost every MB and Audi will have a TDI option

Teleskier 07-09-2012 03:27 PM

While I do love my chipped TDI and its 55 mpg (49 mpg if I drive in full fun mode), I do always hate paying so much MORE for diesel than gas in the US... when it's a cheaper less-refined fuel. Diesel pricing makes more sense for diesel cars in Europe. Here I feel like they ate away at my roughly one-third extra mileage by charging me one-third more over gas prices. I might be ready to switch to a gasser in the X1, since 36 mpg is pretty close without all the diesel hassle. Still contemplating...

AzNMpower32 07-09-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teleskier (Post 6942097)
While I do love my chipped TDI and its 55 mpg (49 mpg if I drive in full fun mode), I do always hate paying so much MORE for diesel than gas in the US... when it's a cheaper less-refined fuel. Diesel pricing makes more sense for diesel cars in Europe. Here I feel like they ate away at my roughly one-third extra mileage by charging me one-third more over gas prices. I might be ready to switch to a gasser in the X1, since 36 mpg is pretty close without all the diesel hassle. Still contemplating...

This probably just applies to the Northeast- my dad complains loudly about this too and he lives in the DC area.

In the Southeast, diesel is roughly the price of midgrade, plus or minus a few cents per US gallon.

AutoUnion 07-14-2012 05:53 AM

Looks like BMW is answering our prayers. They just announced a base I4 and I6 diesels for the US market coming "soon." X1 won't get the I6, but the little 20d seems like a go :)

AutoUnion 07-14-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 6942176)
This probably just applies to the Northeast- my dad complains loudly about this too and he lives in the DC area.

In the Southeast, diesel is roughly the price of midgrade, plus or minus a few cents per US gallon.

Diesel is about the same as midgrade here in Boston. So I'm quite ahead of all 35i and 3.0i owners :rofl:

Teleskier 07-14-2012 08:25 AM

It seems to me that for the past few years when I buy regular diesel around New England (MA, Cape Cod, VT, etc), that I am most often paying $0.70 over regular gas. More if you count all the discount gas stations which only seem to carry gas.

I know I am getting more mileage, but it's a constant source of irritation as I look at the prices above the pump and see how much less gassers are paying. Sometimes it wells up - still - 11+ years in - where I annoying grumble at the poor girl behind the register about "Why does lower-refined less-costly diesel cost so much more than gas, when diesel is so much cheaper than gas in Europe?"

It's a psychology thing. But also reeks of price fixing collusion. In years past we'd pay way more for diesel than gas in winter (competes with home heating oil, the expense of cutting winter diesel with kerosene, etc) but then somewhat made up for it in summer when gas prices rose and diesel was slightly less than gas for a while. Over the years that summer window shrunk shorter and shorter until it disappeared altogether.

I don't mind paying more for biodiesel, but paying more for regular lowest-grade-in-world US diesel really burns me. Every time I fill up.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms