Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   2007+ ATF Change--Who's Done it? Input Needed (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622069)

PSUEng 05-20-2012 09:49 AM

2007+ ATF Change--Who's Done it? Input Needed

1 Attachment(s)
So I have all my BMW Dex VI fluid and I'm all ready to go on my transmission fluid drain and fill. But I've got a few questions for those who have done this job on a 2007+.

1: Did you have any issues getting the fluid back in due to the location of the fill plug? I have a hand pump and it's got about 3 feet of flexible tubing--but the fill plug is directly forward of some transfer case mounting parts so it looks like a very tight fit to get a hose in that fill hole. I really want to do this but the last thing I want is to crack it all open and not be able to get the fluid back in.

2: Did you find your drain plug to be very corroded? Mine is horrible. I've got a new one to replace, but I'm concerned with rounding off the 5mm hex key geometry when removing the existing plug.

3: For final top off, the car has to be running, in park, and the trans temp 85 - 120 degrees (or thereabouts). So without having the car plugged to a diagnostic computer, how best do you tell if the fluid is warm enough?

4: Is it acceptable to drain the fluid, then fill it, turn on the car and top off in Park, then drive it around to warm it up and cycle through the drive gears, then do a final top off? Or would the fluid level be too low after the first top off to drive around, prior to the last top off?

Below is a pic of my corroded drain plug--2007 with only 63,000 miles. Also, you can see the fill plug directly above the drain--not the best location for re-fill.

fun2drive 05-20-2012 02:56 PM

Your drain plug is the worst I have seen for a X in the SE.
To check temp just use a IR temp gun which will give you an exact value. To be honest once you have it full with engine running check it quick because it will go past 130 F pretty fast. Also note the low torque values for the bolts for the pan. I use an inch pound torque wrench for this application. All straight forward and the hose is plenty long.

Now more important is your transfer case. You best drain and refill that with BMW fluid because it only holds 0.6 L which is what your front diff holds. I would do the diffs front and rear as well as the transfer case because they are much more susceptable to wearing out given the low fluid values and heat...

PSUEng 05-21-2012 01:17 PM

I had the differentials and transfer case fluids changed at 42k around the time I bought it. The car has been in cincinnati since new, and I bought it in 2010 used--now I'm down south, so it has seen some salt. But man---the bmw engineers need a lesson in corrosion prevention on metals.

I'm only draining and refilling--I'll do the filter at 120k or so.