Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 M3 (1995-1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Automatic Transmission Supercharger Issues? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623239)

vicariously13 05-26-2012 12:36 AM

Automatic Transmission Supercharger Issues?

So I'm thinking about buying a 97-99 M3 :D and I eventually want to supercharge it. I know Dinan makes a supercharger system for the automatic set up but I want to know if there are any transmission issues? I don't normally drive a manual but I am definitely keeping the idea of getting a manual open. I just know that for a while, this will be a daily driver prior to the supercharger installation and I would like to keep it simple/practical.

If anyone knows of automatic transmission issues with a supercharger set up, please let me know. :eeps:

And any opinions on auto vs manual are also highly welcomed as I'm on the fence for both. :dunno:

shamulater 05-26-2012 07:50 AM

Mine still retains the auto....wifey-poo requirement when I bought the car. She has long since decided she hates the thing which sort of gives me an open invitation to do as I please. Supercharged it a while ago and I can't say the auto is particularly happy with this. Notice some shifting issues under boost...lags when gear is manually selected. No real concerns since a later model 6 speed is in the works and the sooner the auto gives up and dies...the better. With that...my car has 84,000 miles on it and trannie never missed a bit...even when abused. Now with supercharger (installed a couple months ago), it's starting to act funny. Save yourself the grief and start off with a manual....much better choice.:thumbup:

vicariously13 05-26-2012 10:27 PM

I'm pretty sure that was enough to push me to the manual side. How hard is it to get used to and master when you start driving a manual on a regular basis?

shamulater 05-27-2012 02:28 AM

Put someone who knows how in the passenger seat to teach you and you'll be reasonably comfortable with a manual in about 15/30 minutes. Within a few days it will be second nature. Getting maximum performance out of the manual can take much longer but it's an enjoyable learning curve.

dunne44 05-29-2012 09:42 PM

I started driving stick 5 months ago. I stalled out alot in the first hour after that little touch and go. 2 days later I was semipro haven't stalled out since. By the second week second nature. Now I don't even think about it.

vicariously13 05-30-2012 02:16 AM

I like what I'm hearing. I used to drive a VW Rabbit and it was actually pretty sick after all my mods. I frequently used the 6 speed tiptronic so I know the concept of gear shifting, the clutch is what makes me most apprehensive, but I'm sure I shall overcome this hurdle. :)

Itinj6 05-30-2012 03:37 AM

I can teach a monkey to drive stick in about 30 minutes. I taught my friend in 45 minutes...

As long as your brain and limbs are wired together, you should have no problem ;)

Go for it!!! Once you learn and then become seasoned, it will be tough going back to automatic. I have the same problem as the poster above with wife requirements and it sucks lol.

vicariously13 06-02-2012 12:40 AM

That's one thing I need to do... learn basic driving before I buy it. If anyone lives near Ontario and is willing to teach me a few things about driving stick, PM me and I'll appreciate it A LOT. :)

X3-terrestrial 06-12-2012 12:02 PM

I started teaching my 12 y/o son three weeks ago. He got it at the first try, maybe around 2-3 stall-outs the first 40 minutes. A good teacher makes a difference, and a lot of practice will put you there quick. It's like riding bicycle, once you know what you are doing it becomes second nature.
Get a manual, you won't regret it!