Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Dealer will not replace peeling interior trim (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623918)

pablotn 05-29-2012 06:35 PM

Dealer will not replace peeling interior trim

Hey gang,

I have been experiencing the peeling trim issue on my interior driver's side door grab, passenger side door grab, and the exterior black roof trim. Searching and reading through the posts on this issue with others experiencing their dealership replacing the parts with no questions asked made me very hopeful. However, after visiting my local dealership they pretty flat out said CPO warranty only covered "defects and not wear".

Car is 06 325i under CPO warranty until September 2012 and would very much like to get these bits addressed. What choices do I have? Is there a NA BMW tech bulletin I can shove on their face? Contact someone?

Looking for some help.

Thanks,

Paul

SuperTerp 05-29-2012 07:36 PM

Did they give you a price for replacing trim? I've always wondered how much to have it done maybe around 50k I might do the whole car if it isn't insanely expensive.

I'd personally classify it as wear, its something that when exposed to the elements will deteriorate over time, but each person has an idea of how long that should be.

dallas70 05-29-2012 09:14 PM

I've got an '06 as well that has experienced some of the peeling you're talking about. To me it's just "normal" wear for this car, so I ordered and replaced a couple of the peeling interior parts from one of the site sponsors. The cost wasn't crazy and it's fairly easy to replace the peeling trim pieces in just a few minutes (used a Haynes manual as a reference before prying off old door pulls and cupholder trim).

alpinweiss 05-29-2012 09:42 PM

I think the issue is the CPO warranty, versus the original factory warranty. The CPO warranty is longer, but not as comprehensive ("bumper to bumper") as the original factory warranty.

:drive:

tturedraider 05-29-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinweiss (Post 6864481)
I think the issue is the CPO warranty, versus the original factory warranty. The CPO warranty is longer, but not as comprehensive ("bumper to bumper") as the original factory warranty.

:drive:

Correct. The CPO warranty does not cover trim.....and many other things like that. There is a list of coverages and exclusions on www.bmwusa.com

Cultr 05-30-2012 12:41 AM

It's a 7 year old car (especially being second hand CPO and of the base level trim of the entry level model), things deteriorate at this age without defect in workmanship. I don't see why BMW would be expected to have the incentive to cover "wear" items, whether by obligation or good will...

Just order the part and have them put it on for you. Trying to find a service bulletin to "shove in their face" just shows cheapness.

3284me 05-30-2012 02:22 AM

This is not wear, BMW went cheap on the injection molded plastics by not including the color in the resin on early E90 models. This is the only way trim can peal and BMW knew this and made the change. :thumbdwn:

David1 05-30-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3284me (Post 6864797)
This is not wear, BMW went cheap on the injection molded plastics by not including the color in the resin on early E90 models. This is the only way trim can peal and BMW knew this and made the change. :thumbdwn:

They didn't go cheap. That nice rubbery feely coating stuff is an extra process and only adds to the cost. Durability is the issue especially if you have hand cream and rings on all the time. The outside parts, the UV will eventually get at it.

LarkHouston 05-30-2012 08:12 AM

FWIW- I had an '06 545i that experienced the peeling and they replaced it without a problem under CPO warranty.

pablotn 05-30-2012 08:56 AM

All,

I really appreciate the feedback, and I must apologize if I originally came across as being "entitled" to a free replacement. I had assumed that after reading through the numerous posts that the consensus was that these were known issues acknowledged by BMWNA and that these were covered under the valid CPO warranty, hence my reference to a tech bulletin. Optimally it would be nice if these were covered, but I like the car enough to replace them myself if needed.

As a note, I did have 3M pro grade tint installed shortly after purchasing the car and do not use any lotions on my hands. So although there is a theory that some or all of these factors play into the peeling problem I do not think it applied in my case. I do think that BMW does have a quality issue as it pertains to durability for these particular pieces, and should not be expected on vehicles priced in these ranges. Just my opinion of course, but I do love the BMW brand.

@dallas70 - I would be interested in finding out more about the sponsers you connected with.

Also, can anyone recommend a good color match for the grey dakota interior trim?

Paul

tturedraider 05-30-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkHouston (Post 6865107)
FWIW- I had an '06 545i that experienced the peeling and they replaced it without a problem under CPO warranty.

It may have been done during the CPO warranty, but it would have been covered under something else, like a TSB that called for the replacement. Trim is one of the things SPECIFICALLY excluded under the CPO warranty.

furby076 05-30-2012 12:11 PM

Normal wear and tear. Happens in many cars. Some things speed up the process (rough use, jewelry, chemicals, UV, etc).

It's happening on my shifter. It would be great to be able to inexpensively repair/replace it -but right now it's no biggy, and only noticeable when i touch it.

Kilgore Trout 05-30-2012 01:23 PM

Personally, I think it is a load of crap that this is excluded from coverage and do think the OP should feel "entitled." I've never had this kind of peeling occur in any car I've owned. It was a dumbass approach to manufacturing, should be viewed as defect, and should be replaced at no cost to the OP.

At least that is my lousy two cents.....

furby076 05-30-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout (Post 6865781)
Personally, I think it is a load of crap that this is excluded from coverage and do think the OP should feel "entitled." I've never had this kind of peeling occur in any car I've owned. It was a dumbass approach to manufacturing, should be viewed as defect, and should be replaced at no cost to the OP.

So young, so angry, damn that rap music!

If this car was newer I would agree...but seven year old car things will happen. I've had cars in this age range that pealed. It sucks, but happens. The fact the OP even has CPO at 7 years is impressive. Maybe if this was under original warranty I would be more inclined to agree.

andrew b 05-30-2012 02:40 PM

There is a TSB related to the trim piece on the driver's side handle. Not sure what years it coveres. I am travelling and not near my home PC, so can't copy it for you, but I did find it via the interwebz. Pretty sure it was a TSB and not a recall, so might not help much unless covered under warranty.

My dealer replaced mine under warranty, but it was right before the CPO kicked in so was under the regular warranty. He did say they replaced them all the time, and BMW changed the way they do those pieces. Not sure if the TSB does any good if you're not under original full warranty.

dallas70 05-30-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pablotn (Post 6865183)

@dallas70 - I would be interested in finding out more about the sponsers you connected with.

Also, can anyone recommend a good color match for the grey dakota interior trim?

Paul

I'm sure there are others, but I've ordered from www.BMWPartsSource.com . Select the OEM Parts tab, then at the bottom select Parts Catalog. I've ordered/replaced the passenger door pull and a cupholder; will be ordering the rear passenger door pull and new trunk lid lifts from them shortly. They're OEM parts so the colors are perfect matches for your interior (beige, grey, black, etc).

RufusMadore 05-30-2012 07:51 PM

I had assumed that after reading through the numerous posts that the consensus was
http://gamegood.info/images/18.gif

SARAFIL 05-30-2012 07:58 PM

Folks, this IS NOT covered under CPO. And the presence of a TSB means nothing about warranty coverage if the indicated repair is not something that would be covered... i.e. if trim is not covered under CPO (which is the case) then a TSB about trim replacement is also not covered since that item is specifically excluded.

Y'all can debate all day whether this is wear or poor design, it doesn't matter... CPO doesn't cover trim, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

3284me 05-30-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

+1 cheap cost cutting measure that failed.

tturedraider 05-31-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

If the original owner had acted this problem would be gone. There was a TSB for the peeling and the parts were replaced in the first four years. Sorry, but that train has now been gone from the station way too long.

boilers93 05-31-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3284me (Post 6866739)

-1. Not a cost cutting measure at all. In fact, clearly a cost adding feature compared to non-coated trim.

Now you can argue that the interior should be made with different materials such that plastics are only required in very, very limited amounts. But you can't seriously believe that the coated plastics cost less than uncoated, can you?

Technic 05-31-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3284me (Post 6866739)

Yes... and after the decontenting insanity of MY2010 you will see more "wear" crap showing up like this.

tturedraider 05-31-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 6867678)
Yes... and after the decontenting insanity of MY2010 you will see more "wear" crap showing up like this.

Please read the thread. This issue has nothing to do with de-contenting. It was a design issue with the early production E9x models.

thekurgan 05-31-2012 09:58 AM

People are plasti dipping their wheels (lol), why not do the same to the trim? If they replace it, it will peel again.

Technic 05-31-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 6867692)
Please read the thread. This issue has nothing to do with de-contenting. It was a design issue with the early production E9x models.

Dude... I'm not responding to the OP. Move on...:confused: