Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F10 / F11 (2011 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Does anyone like the auto start/stop feature??? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624148)

CarbonBlack 05-30-2012 04:28 PM

Does anyone like the auto start/stop feature???

I make it a point to disable it each time I start my car.. I can honestly say it's the only thing I don't like about the car.

Does anyone actually like this feature?

DreamCar 05-30-2012 04:36 PM

Well when it was active it never bothered me now i disable it... In more than one occasion i really appreciated it... When you are milking the last drop to go to the gas station ;)!

But i dont know if it is the case with every one but over the time it became more recognizable... initially it used to be very smooth!.

Tuyen13 05-30-2012 05:00 PM

It does not bother me one way or the other. I make it a habit to switch it off before driving off. But on some occasions that I forgot to turn off, I enjoy having the feature being there too.

Griffin 27 05-30-2012 05:27 PM

I CANT STAND IT !!! I tried to get used to it for about 2 weeks and couldn't. I don't like that fact the car shutters when it turns off and on. If I could barely detect it shutting off or on I could probably deal with it. Also the fact that every time you have to switch it off is VERY lame. I'm actually jealous of the guys with the 2011 rides. I called BMW and voiced my opinion on the matter, hopefully many more owners will call them and complain. That way they could come up with an update so we wouldn't have to switch it off every time. I guy can dream.....

dalekressin 05-30-2012 05:32 PM

I like it (sorry)

CarbonBlack 05-30-2012 07:04 PM

I'll try to get used to it, but as of right now I'm not feeling it..

Imothph 05-30-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin 27 (Post 6866458)
I CANT STAND IT !!! I tried to get used to it for about 2 weeks and couldn't. I don't like that fact the car shutters when it turns off and on. If I could barely detect it shutting off or on I could probably deal with it. Also the fact that every time you have to switch it off is VERY lame. I'm actually jealous of the guys with the 2011 rides. I called BMW and voiced my opinion on the matter, hopefully many more owners will call them and complain. That way they could come up with an update so we wouldn't have to switch it off every time. I guy can dream.....

Yes! I vote for an old-school chrome toggle switch on the dash for 2013 with the "ON" position reading "Please irritate me at every traffic light" and the "OFF" position reading "Drive like a regular car - thanks".

yogi799 05-30-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin 27 (Post 6866458)

LOL. I hear you. I am so glad I've picked up the last 2011 available and have voiced my opinion on this matter multiple times... It is a gross shame on BMW to not make a simple preference setting for it in the iDrive. 300HP+ 5s 0-60s sedans with some bullsh%^& feature to milk a few drops of gas. Ridiculous...

whitby 05-30-2012 08:34 PM

Not particularly

I have had my new 528i for nearly two weeks and have got used to it. It does not bother me. The only people who notice are people who have never experienced it before. BMW does have some work to do, however. The stops can be accompanied by a small shudder. Starts seem very smooth.

Do I like it, not particularly, but anything that saves fuel is welcome and it has been around in Europe for a long time now. The only reason we in the US never got it was because it did not affect the EPA fuel ratings which seems facile. Tests in Europe have shown that it does save fuel and although we BMW owners are not primarily interested in fuel savings, we should not be interested in wasting fuel. The stop start function does not affect performance. My 0 to 60 time is still the same.

alex_c 05-30-2012 08:42 PM

No big deal. Just reprogram your settings with E-sys to remember the last state of the switch. That way, if you set it off, it will remain off forever.

I did it to mine, and it is on only when I want it to.

gsmith999 05-30-2012 09:53 PM

No. No I do not like it. Put me down as a vote disliking ASS.

Die Wolfe 05-30-2012 10:50 PM

I never turn it off and it never bothers me.

530CE 05-31-2012 11:27 AM

Mine is about two weeks old and it doesn't bother me all that much. I believe most manufacturers have been using it in Europe for quite a while.

Needsdecaf 05-31-2012 11:33 AM

It's not in my car, but I have had two loaners with it and put about 60-80 miles on each. The only time it bothered me was in stopped traffic on the highway, where it would shut off just as I was about to start rolling. As far as it working at other times, I had no issues.

This is in a 328 with the noisy N20 too.

The X Men 05-31-2012 12:51 PM

I hate it at first but gotten use to it pretty quick.

AutoUnion 05-31-2012 01:51 PM

They should have left it only on the 528i. 535i and 550i should not have the stupid stop/start

dontay 05-31-2012 01:55 PM

I hate hate hate it. There is a way to off it turn off forever through software. Do a search on previous threads.

dontay 05-31-2012 01:57 PM

I should of bought a 2011 because they are optional for that year but for 2012 it is no longer an option.

The good news is that it is just software so if enough people complain BMW could allow it to stay off via a software update.

Needsdecaf 05-31-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontay (Post 6868390)
I should of bought a 2011 because they are optional for that year but for 2012 it is no longer an option.

The good news is that it is just software so if enough people complain BMW could allow it to stay off via a software update.

Never gonna happen. Part of EPA mileage ratings.

Griffin 27 05-31-2012 05:41 PM

The EPA would not allow them to factor in the auto stop. Perhaps in the future it will but not now. So if enough complain there is a chance they could adjust the software to keep it off if the driver wanted it that way.

Needsdecaf 05-31-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin 27 (Post 6868839)
The EPA would not allow them to factor in the auto stop. Perhaps in the future it will but not now. So if enough complain there is a chance they could adjust the software to keep it off if the driver wanted it that way.

Sorry, they get CAFE credits for having it. My bad.

thomasgs 05-31-2012 07:23 PM

Gotten used to it and content. Smooth on both stop and start.

dontay 06-01-2012 07:23 AM

I have hope

Quote:

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf (Post 6869015)
Sorry, they get CAFE credits for having it. My bad.

Well, I have hope they will allow the start \ stop to stay off If the drivers wants.

I hate all this global warming and tree huggin crap they are forcing on the consumer.

bakmigm 06-01-2012 08:55 PM

Yes. I've grown to love this feature. Sometimes when it doesnt turn off, e.g if interior is still hot, it makes me realize how much gas I'm wasting. The only time it bothers me is when the stop light turns green as soon as it turns off. BMW can certainly improve the shudder. It's especially rough when you stop for too long and perhaps battery is low and it starts on its own.

PJSD 06-01-2012 10:55 PM

You should be able to adjust in iDrive

You should be able to have it automatically turn on when you first start the car, or have it kept off when you turn on the car through iDrive or something... its useful if you're at the end of the line at the red light or drive thru, otherwise, its not good. I generally keep it off. ;)