Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   2013 X3 M sport vs. 35i- help please (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624275)

Jen4BMW 05-31-2012 07:48 AM

2013 X3 M sport vs. 35i- help please

Hello Bimmerfest Members,
Will you help me decide between a 28i M sport vs a 35i no M sport. In return I will share my own impressions of the 2013 X3 28i after 2 test drives.

2013 X3 28i M Sport
Handling- 9 (being a SAV)
Engine- 9
Driveability- 6. (auto off-on isn't fully dialed in yet)
Seat Comfort- 7
Radio- 5
M sport looks- 10
Comments: Great looks, tight package with fun bells and whistles to keep me engaged but the auto off-on totally destroys any chance of this SAV being considered sporty or a "drivers car". The car acts like its hung over every time its comes back from its slumber. The only way to describe the sleepy time auto off is "compromise" for 2013 buyers.

My choices:

2013 X3 28i:
Msport in carbon black
Tech
Premium
Cold
Convenience
$48,345+ tax & license ($500 over inv incl. MACO & training fees)

or

2013 X3 35i
Premium
Cold
Tech
$48,265 ($500 over invoice incl. MACO & training fees)

I cant spend more and cost is a factor. I weight performance and aesthtics fairly equallly. What would you suggest I buy?

bren 05-31-2012 08:56 AM

Have you not driven the 35i yet?

I'd suggest you wait a few months and save some more money, and then buy the car you really want.

jgroarke 05-31-2012 10:12 AM

My 2 cents.

The M Sport package sure does look sweet, but there's nothing like that bigger engine :-)

If you can save up and get both - do it, otherwise you have to go with your heart. Test the 3.5i and see if you really, really need to floor it and get that extra boost?

Also - you can turn the stop/start off easily enough.

J

No12 05-31-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren (Post 6867694)
Have you not driven the 35i yet?

I'd suggest you wait a few months and save some more money, and then buy the car you really want.

+1 for sure. Do not decide before driving the 35i.

X3emist 05-31-2012 01:40 PM

My 2cents worth

You will look at it many times every day, so will others. The added power is nice but you won't use it that often and nobody will know it is there. Accordingly, I think you will happier with the MSport Pkg. Get the Dynamic Handling Pkg as well, you WILL NOT regret that $1000.

lbjgh 05-31-2012 07:57 PM

As a owner of a 35i mSport I would personally get the 28i mSport if it was available in my market.

Very rarely can you use the full potential of the 35i power... The added economy of the n20 would be nice.

...but my previous car was a four door auto four cylinder so the n20 would have been a significant upgrade... The 35i is stinkin' quick!

Vortec4800 06-01-2012 12:20 AM

Given the choice of those two cars, I would buy the 28i M-Sport without thinking twice.

A few reasons:

1) M-Sport
2) The N20 engine is fantastic, way more power than I expected, good gas mileage, bit lighter, etc
3) M-Sport
4) Convenience package - really nice to be able to leave your keys in your pocket, instead of pulling them out to unlock the car then finding a place for them or putting them back in your pocket before starting the car using the button
5) Did I mention M-Sport? Seriously it's one of my favorite things about the truck, gets rid of the black plastic along the bottom, looks aggressive, sport seats, etc.

If this was a 2012 28i I think I would lean towards the 35i, but with that new engine it's an easy decision. If you could go all out and get the 35i with all the goodies that would be great, but I honestly don't think you're getting a raw deal with the 28i. It's still much faster than a lot of vehicles on the road, turbo means a great torque curve. Go for it!

UncleJ 06-01-2012 07:09 AM

When gas hits $5.00 a gallon you will be happy that you got the 28i!:D

No12 06-01-2012 07:37 AM

It is my opinion that if you have to worry about the small difference in fuel consumption between the N20 and N55 engines, you likely should not be getting an X3 at all.

Jen4BMW 06-01-2012 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone- great feedback and reasoning to. Very much appreciate it. So yesterday I drove a 35i. The low end power (even in comfort mode) was intoxicating to put it mildly. There is simply no way to punch the thing and not smile. Handling was unbelievable to and the power stop the CA had me do at 50MPH felt like we popped a parachute out the back end. Seriously loved the thing. Huge difference over the turbo 4 sacrificing just $350/yr in fuel cost.

Only one disappointment that maybe someone can speak to. The auto on-off would not work and this was a 20 minute test ride. Of course the one thing I don't like was the problem child in the 35i too.

Note, it was not turned off and we were in comfort mode. It was a 2013. At a stop the auto on-off light would come on with a line thru it. CA said he thought it was because we were down to 41 miles to go on gas and thought he read it won't activate on really low fuel levels- anyone heard of this?

Thinking I may go:
35i
M sport
Tech
Prem
Cold

Do you like white or carbon black best for this configuration?
Thanks!

exLurker 06-01-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No12 (Post 6869856)
It is my opinion that if you have to worry about the small difference in fuel consumption between the N20 and N55 engines, you likely should not be getting an X3 at all.

Couldn't agree more and frankly if you can't afford $52K maybe you shouldn't be spending $48K on a car. But to each his own.

Vortec4800 06-01-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen4BMW (Post 6870037)
Thanks everyone- great feedback and reasoning to. Very much appreciate it. So yesterday I drove a 35i. The low end power (even in comfort mode) was intoxicating to put it mildly. There is simply no way to punch the thing and not smile. Handling was unbelievable to and the power stop the CA had me do at 50MPH felt like we popped a parachute out the back end. Seriously loved the thing. Huge difference over the turbo 4 sacrificing just $350/yr in fuel cost.

Only one disappointment that maybe someone can speak to. The auto on-off would not work and this was a 20 minute test ride. Of course the one thing I don't like was the problem child in the 35i too.

Note, it was not turned off and we were in comfort mode. It was a 2013. At a stop the auto on-off light would come on with a line thru it. CA said he thought it was because we were down to 41 miles to go on gas and thought he read it won't activate on really low fuel levels- anyone heard of this?

Thinking I may go:
35i
M sport
Tech
Prem
Cold

Do you like white or carbon black best for this configuration?
Thanks!

What was the temperature outside? IIRC it only works up to ~85F and anything above that disables the system. Same for really cold temperatures too, to keep the A/C running in high temps and to keep the heater warm in low temps.

I think white looks great with the M-Tech, so that's my vote. I'm not big on black cars though, so I'm biased.

brokergenious 06-01-2012 11:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is mine. I think it is beautiful in black.

lbjgh 06-02-2012 04:56 AM

The reason some of us can afford a bmw is because we are intelligent and money wise. ...not all bmw owners are spoiled rich kids.

I could afford to buy any bmw car but I chose the x3. ... I would have chosen the 28i msport if it was available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by No12 (Post 6869856)

Jen4BMW 06-02-2012 07:30 AM

Hey Brokergenius sweet ride.:thumbup: Is your X3 a 2012 or 2013 35i a M Sport or is it a 2013 X3 with sport package?

Didnt think the 2013 Msport had the satin colored front bumper piece you have. Where as I know for sure the 2013 with Sport package has the satin piece in front.

Also do you have black carbon, sapphire or standard Black?

UncleJ 06-02-2012 07:40 AM

As once was said about a sailing yacht -- "If you have to ask how much it costs than you can't afford it". I suppose one could say the same thing about a BMW, however there are still those of us out there who do consider costs and "small differences" in fuel economy are significant. Not so much as "if we can afford it" but rather "what else can I do with that money"......:D

cadman50 06-04-2012 02:48 PM

Damn, I wish we could have gotten the 309's and the satin trim around the windows and roof rails on the Msport like Brokergenius. That really adds some definition to the sides and front. I wonder if that will happen in 2014 for us in the US.

lukeeesteve 06-04-2012 04:14 PM

My vote - 3.5

Sometimes it's all about setting a budget and sticking with it. To stay within $50K, I picked the x3 3.5, m-sport, nav (not tech) and leather (not the premium package). And a couple of other smaller options.

lbjgh 06-04-2012 05:51 PM

lukeesteve, don't you mean you went with the 35i? What is a 3.5?

brkf 06-04-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exLurker (Post 6871231)
Couldn't agree more and frankly if you can't afford $52K maybe you shouldn't be spending $48K on a car. But to each his own.

Sometimes people set a ceiling for themselves. Not because they can't afford it but because they choose not to spend it. Just saying... sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

lukeeesteve 06-04-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbjgh (Post 6876008)
lukeesteve, don't you mean you went with the 35i? What is a 3.5?

Yes 35i. I think of it as a 3.5 engine, though it's a 3.0 turbo petrol.

Jen4BMW 06-04-2012 08:20 PM

Thanks everyone for your continued input. Geeze one thing is for sure, there's a lot of people out there who don't appreciate or get the concept of cost benefit analysis. How nice would it be to not have a budget! Any way I digress...here's where I am at:
2013 M Sport, DHP, AH/Oyster/Fineline wave, Premium, Tech, CW 1&2

Just because I can't help myself I'll say I am down to trying to decide if I want to spend $250 for BMW Apps. I have zero interest in Facebook or Twitter so not seeing how this option will ever see use unless something awesome comes down the road.

Thanks again everyone!

Wabbajack 06-05-2012 08:36 AM

Looks exactly like mine except color. I went for the BMW Apps as I figured "what's another $250 at this point and then I won't wonder what I'm missing". LOL Oh and I got the upgraded stereo. I'm a sound snob. LOL

BTW, my friend got a 5 series in Alpine White with Oyster and it's beautiful. He got Carbon Fiber instead of wood and I personally love it and wish we had CF available.

punkslayer 06-07-2012 04:50 PM

I got my '13 28i a few weeks back, and at first I was a little disappointed in myself for not getting the bigger engine. There is barely any torque in the 28i, and it doenst feel like your going fast (I also came from a lower, 06 330i), but in reality, the 28i has MORE than enough power. I go from 30-60 in no time, 60-80 also, so passing cars is not an issue.

If you personally want to be thrown back in your seat (I love that feeling, wish I can experience it in the 28i), get the 35i. The 35i offers MASSIVE power throughout the RPM range, whereas the 28i only has power in certain parts (2.5k-5k), and even has a bizzare "dead" range (after 5.5k) where in all honesty, it feels like your car just stalled...thats how I see it atleast. My 330i was similar to the 35i in the sense that there was power throughout the RPM range.

lukeeesteve 06-07-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokergenious (Post 6871434)
Here is mine. I think it is beautiful in black.

Woah.....that front bumper. Since when was the silver trim An option? That's beautiful.