Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Folding Door Mirrors (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624510)

sr5959 06-01-2012 09:42 AM

Folding Door Mirrors

I've just returned from vacation in Europe, and the 2 cars I was in most were a Merc C Class and the new Range Rover Evoque. On both of them the door mirrors fold in when the car is locked, and reverse when unlocked. I also believe this is standard functionality on the F30 in Europe.

So why do BMW USA not allow this feature? What is the logic behind it?

I know there's some way through coding it can be activated, just wondering why it's not standard?

justinnum1 06-01-2012 09:56 AM

you need premeium on 328 to get it

caesarp 06-01-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinnum1 (Post 6870143)
you need premeium on 328 to get it

I think he means that in the U.S. you have to manually push a button to fold them in (and they don't unfold on an unlock). I agree it would be nice if it did this automatically when parking (or at least an iDrive setting to engage it or not).

dealio 06-01-2012 10:08 AM

i assume this should be doable with a simple recode, at least it was on my E90 (without Comfort Access)

now I can fold up the mirrors by holding LOCK on keyfob, and the mirrors unfold on UNLOCK

dr.s 06-01-2012 10:34 AM

I like the fact that we can push a button to fold and unfold the mirrors. We have a somewhat narrow two car garage, and like that we can fold the mirrors prior to entering the garage. Same is true exiting the garage, keeping them folded until we are out of the garage. I would not like it if they were to only fold or unfold when locking or unlocking the car. I think some new Volvo's do this. However, I don't see a problem if it is something that can be programmed, just don't lose the push button option. It is a function we look for when looking at new cars.

FYI, I have noticed that the mirrors will automatically unfold when you reach a certain speed (20 mph or so).

DrivenByF30 06-01-2012 11:05 AM

Dr.S makes a very good point... i like the fact that i have options, given the possilibity... unstead of being stuck with one way or another...

people nowadays have become so lazy... soon we will have mind control for everything ;)

sr5959 06-01-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrivenByF30 (Post 6870272)
Dr.S makes a very good point... i like the fact that i have options, given the possilibity... unstead of being stuck with one way or another...

people nowadays have become so lazy... soon we will have mind control for everything ;)

Yes so they just need to give an option in iDrive if you want it or not, simple.

m3kidd 07-21-2012 03:55 PM

Just to confirm, is the folding mirrors standard or only included in the prem pkg?

voip-ninja 07-21-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3kidd (Post 6964877)
Just to confirm, is the folding mirrors standard or only included in the prem pkg?

Premium package.

boltjaM3s 07-21-2012 05:16 PM

Let me get this straight:

It's okay for the engine to shut itself on and off when it decides to but it's not okay for the mirrors to fold in and out?

BJ

tturedraider 07-21-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 6964958)
Let me get this straight:

It's okay for the engine to shut itself on and off when it decides to but it's not okay for the mirrors to fold in and out?

BJ

You got it straight.

boltjaM3s 07-21-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tturedraider (Post 6965283)
You got it straight.

"Vee vill trust zee engine to turn itself on and off venever eet vishes but vee vill not allou zee mirrors to folds automagically under anee circumstvances, yah? Vile zee engine mite possiblee cause a collizin, zee mirrors mite deesturb a resting bird and vee cannot hase that, yah? Deefeets the feel-good of zee Eco Mode then, yah?"

BJ

tturedraider 07-21-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltjaM3s (Post 6965299)
"Vee vill trust zee engine to turn itself on and off venever eet vishes but vee vill not allou zee mirrors to folds automagically under anee circumstvances, yah? Vile zee engine mite possiblee cause a collizin, zee mirrors mite deesturb a resting bird and vee cannot hase that, yah? Deefeets the feel-good of zee Eco Mode then, yah?"

BJ

Yah!!

brkf 07-21-2012 11:46 PM

2013 3 series it's a standard feature - or it appears to be when I look at my list of features of my '13 in production.

As for on-off fold/unfold, I'd rather a button or a speed thanks (say over 8 mph).

arktctr 07-22-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brkf (Post 6965360)
2013 3 series it's a standard feature - or it appears to be when I look at my list of features of my '13 in production.

As for on-off fold/unfold, I'd rather a button or a speed thanks (say over 8 mph).

If you don't open the mirrors by pressing the button they will open automatically once you hit about 25mph...

m3kidd 07-22-2012 09:43 AM

I just checked the F30_DOT_FINAL.pdf doc for the 2013's and it mentions Power-adjustable folding exterior mirrors with automatic-dimming function as standard. Does this mean the power folder?? I'm placing my order tomorrow and not planning on the prem pkg but do want the power folding mirrors. Can anyone without premium package confirm? Dealer will get back to me in the morning, but I seem to be telling him more than he tells me :confused:

Elk 07-22-2012 10:52 AM

"Power-adjustable" likely refers only to moving mirror glass.

tturedraider 07-22-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elk (Post 6965830)
"Power-adjustable" likely refers only to moving mirror glass.

Correct. I haven't seen anything that indicates the power folding mirrors are standard for 2013 rather than part of the premium package.

Michael Schott 07-22-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3kidd (Post 6965736)
I just checked the F30_DOT_FINAL.pdf doc for the 2013's and it mentions Power-adjustable folding exterior mirrors with automatic-dimming function as standard. Does this mean the power folder?? I'm placing my order tomorrow and not planning on the prem pkg but do want the power folding mirrors. Can anyone without premium package confirm? Dealer will get back to me in the morning, but I seem to be telling him more than he tells me :confused:

They fold (manually) and are power adjustable but unless you get the premium package they do not have the power fold feature.

brkf 07-22-2012 12:44 PM

Maybe I read it wrong. Doesn't matter to me, I'd never use that feature anyway. Really wish the '13s didn't have dimming mirrors as I do not look forward to putting up with that worthless junk for 3 years.

raleedy 07-22-2012 02:32 PM

What's the point of having the mirrors "fold" every time you lock the car?

brkf 07-22-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raleedy (Post 6966146)

Two I've gathered from this thread: Tight garage... or fear a passerby could break them.

Elk 07-22-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

I had to ask this also.

Another example was winter streets with only on-street parking. A Bostonian explained it is not uncommon to see cars with the mirrors sheared off by a snow plow.

tturedraider 07-22-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Very narrow streets in Europe where the car is designed and built and sells more total units than in the U.S.

vern 07-23-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.s (Post 6870215)
I like the fact that we can push a button to fold and unfold the mirrors. We have a somewhat narrow two car garage, and like that we can fold the mirrors prior to entering the garage. Same is true exiting the garage, keeping them folded until we are out of the garage. I would not like it if they were to only fold or unfold when locking or unlocking the car. I think some new Volvo's do this. However, I don't see a problem if it is something that can be programmed, just don't lose the push button option. It is a function we look for when looking at new cars.

FYI, I have noticed that the mirrors will automatically unfold when you reach a certain speed (20 mph or so).

Its nice to read a post on the subject from some one that knows what they are talking about," 20 mph or so" without the gibberish or B/S.
cheers
vern