Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   E38 1997 740iL problem fueling (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629236)

97E38girl 06-24-2012 11:58 PM

E38 1997 740iL problem fueling

When I go to fuel up the fuel pump Barely gets to 10.00 before the pump shuts off and so I get about 11.00 in the fuel tank before the fuel looks like its about to come out. Fuel gauge wont read past 1/4 tank... How come it seems like there's a blockage or something but couldn't be because I'm able to drive the car so obviously fuel is getting we're it needs to go yet I'm at gas station all the time....

shled 06-26-2012 08:46 AM

Remove right rear wheel. Remove wheel liner. Observe.
What do you see?

97E38girl 06-27-2012 01:49 PM

Idk..... Looks as if I might have ran over something or someone.... All this carnage under my car.....
Ok just kidding! So if I remove the wheel liner then I'm pretty sure I'd see gas tank and maybe some wires not sure what I should be observing?

joyism5 06-27-2012 04:37 PM

First, you need to make the difference between A and B.
A-You can't add fuel because the fuel tank is full and not indicating properly
B-You can't add fuel because the charcoal canister is clogged, and the gases are not passing through.

To rule out A, go back to your previous thread and do the instrument cluster test (as described by QSilver), to see exactly how much gas you have in your tank. After you know that, you can follow a path...

97E38girl 06-27-2012 09:31 PM

Added fuel injector cleaner and thought it fixed problem until I went to fuel and could only 15 dollars in the tank as opposed to the usual 11 dollars. So next step will be to unlock my instrument cluster. I'll of course post an update.
Thank you

kimokk 06-28-2012 03:22 AM

Maybe remove the rear seat and pop off the fuel pump cover and take a peek inside of the fuel tank. Also, when you remove the gas cap do you hear a loud woosh sound?

bluebee 07-02-2012 09:59 PM

These from the E39 bestlinks might help you on the E38 ...

BMW_TIS_11.09.20_3_SI_E38_E39_New_Evaporative_Char coal_Canister_Purge_Line.pdf

- Cleaning and/or replacing the fuel sensor (1) & does spilled gasoline go into the charcoal canister (1) & how to replace the LDP leak detection pump charcoal canister (1) (2) & a decent Techron thread for cleaning the fuel gauge sending unit.

97E38girl 07-03-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebee (Post 6930986)
These from the E39 bestlinks might help you on the E38 ...

BMW_TIS_11.09.20_3_SI_E38_E39_New_Evaporative_Char coal_Canister_Purge_Line.pdf

- Cleaning and/or replacing the fuel sensor (1) & does spilled gasoline go into the charcoal canister (1) & how to replace the LDP leak detection pump charcoal canister (1) (2) & a decent Techron thread for cleaning the fuel gauge sending unit.

So,
I thought fuel injector cleaner Joyism suggested and a restart had fixed my fueling problem until I went to fuel again and the my fuel tank wouldnt even take a gallon of fuel. As I'm checking the engine diagram to verify what's actually under my hood and getting to know my car a little better since i have little experience fixing cars... if I'm looking if i at this right it looks as if someone removed my charcoal canister from were it should be according to diagram (behind drivers head light) and did not replaced it. Instead they bypassed the charcoal canister which if I'm understanding correctly is a crucial part of my vehicles fueling system and uses this part for the fuels ventilation and also cools fuel before it is used in my engine.... Please tell me if I'm headed in the right direction here. I'm getting ready to replace my brake linings, rotors, pads and brake sensors but before i do that i want to remove drivers side rear wheel liner to take a look at the rest of my fuel system and replace what's necessary.
Also how do I figure out if my 740iL is an M60/2 or M62?????

Please advise :)