Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F12 / F13 M6 & F06 M6 Gran Coupe (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Considering an M6 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630613)

xDrive McGee 07-02-2012 06:47 AM

Considering an M6

Hi everyone.

In the fall I am deciding between either a 2013 650i xDrive, or the M6. Living in the NE, and given the tremendous torque these cars have, I am leaning towards AWD. But this car won't be a daily driver, and likely see <5000 miles per year, so I think a RWD car would still be doable assuming I have the right tires per season. On the other hand, I don't feel like driving my wife's car every time the weather gets hairy.

Can anyone with M6 experience living in the Northeast chime in? How does it work in the snow, assuming just a few inches and some good snow shoes? How about regular driving in the rain, or sandy/salty roads? Is traction control continually making its presence known? Can you rip out of a parking lot without breaking the arse-end out? The one good thing about the 2013 xDrive is that the HP bump is considerable, and all of it usable given the power delivery. Both cars are tremendously fast, but only one is an M.

If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it! :thumbup:

jettie1767 07-02-2012 08:44 AM

I live in NJ which gets a considerable amount of snow in the winter. However, it is a crap shoot. This year, we didn't see any snow. The year before, we got tremendous amounts. Anyway, it is so new that no one will probably have any feedback until winter comes along. I have two other cars that I can use in the snow so it wasn't really a consideration when I bought the M6. I have driven it in the rain and saw no problems with traction at all in low and high speed driving. Maybe get a fwd or awd second car that you can use in bad weather?

xDrive McGee 07-02-2012 08:58 AM

Thanks Jettie,

My wife's SUV is always available in a pinch - so I'd be covered if needed. But it's a big let down driving that thing. My previous 5-series saw 3 days of snow this season, and about 100 days of sand, salt and related debris - which I see as just as important. That car was severely hampered by the summer performance tires (duh) - something I won't repeat for this coming season. I've used Blizzak's on a RWD car before and was very impressed. But I wonder, if I am putting winter tires on my M6 for 6 months at a time, with the resulting reduced driving dynamics, is there a point in getting an M over the vanilla xDrive?

jettie1767 07-02-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6929669)
Thanks Jettie,

My wife's SUV is always available in a pinch - so I'd be covered if needed. But it's a big let down driving that thing. My previous 5-series saw 3 days of snow this season, and about 100 days of sand, salt and related debris - which I see as just as important. That car was severely hampered by the summer performance tires (duh) - something I won't repeat for this coming season. I've used Blizzak's on a RWD car before and was very impressed. But I wonder, if I am putting winter tires on my M6 for 6 months at a time, with the resulting reduced driving dynamics, is there a point in getting an M over the vanilla xDrive?

I'm never put winter tires on my rwd cars. With that said, I also don't use them when it's snowy or icy outside. Even in the winter time, it's only a handful of days that I really can't use a rwd car. Where are you located? It would be hard to imagine that you're snowbound all winter long where you are.

xDrive McGee 07-03-2012 09:02 AM

In New England (RI to be exact). I didn't mean to give the impression we were frequently snowbound, but the winters from season to season can change pretty dramatically (you know this of course). And after the first few snow falls the roads are rather suspect with all the sand, salt and melt/mud that stays behind - usually for months at a time. And of course it's always rather cold regardless. It's nothing that a lack of stupidity can't take care of, but it may still skew me toward the xDrive.

jettie1767 07-03-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6931599)
In New England (RI to be exact). I didn't mean to give the impression we were frequently snowbound, but the winters from season to season can change pretty dramatically (you know this of course). And after the first few snow falls the roads are rather suspect with all the sand, salt and melt/mud that stays behind - usually for months at a time. And of course it's always rather cold regardless. It's nothing that a lack of stupidity can't take care of, but it may still skew me toward the xDrive.

How about an X5M or X6M :)

xDrive McGee 07-04-2012 04:02 AM

Want a coupe!!!

xDrive McGee 07-08-2012 12:35 PM

Well, just as an update - looks like I will be moving forward with the 2013 M6 instead of the 2013 xDrive. Build details are below:

Singapore Grey Metallic
Canyon Brown Full Merino Leather. (was Amaro Brown Full Merino Leather, including the alcantara headliner)
Piano Finish Black Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Executive Package
B&O Sound System

Looks like I will be taking delivery in the fall, so I will have them swap the summer tires for a proper set of Pirelli Sotozero winters. Looking forward to it!

southern6er22 07-08-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6940014)
Well, just as an update - looks like I will be moving forward with the 2013 M6 instead of the 2013 xDrive. Build details are below:

Singapore Grey Metallic
Amaro Brown Full Merino Leather, including the alcantara headliner
Piano Finish Black Trim
Executive Package
B&O Sound System

Looks like I will be taking delivery in the fall, so I will have them swap the summer tires for a proper set of Pirelli Sotozero winters. Looking forward to it!

What happened to my precious Citrin?!?!?! :mad: :)

xDrive McGee 07-08-2012 12:59 PM

Google the color and lots of pics will show up. It's teh sex!

Itinj6 07-08-2012 01:37 PM

That Singapore Grey is indeed teh sex and would be my first choice if I were to get an ///M6

jettie1767 07-08-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6940014)

Singapore Grey Metallic
Amaro Brown Full Merino Leather, including the alcantara headliner
Piano Finish Black Trim
Executive Package
B&O Sound System

Nice color combo! So why did you get a 650i now and then trade in for an M6 in 3 or 4 months?

xDrive McGee 07-08-2012 02:19 PM

Thank folks. jettie - the story in a nutshell is that I ordered a 2012 xDrive several months ago, before delivery and upon hearing about the 2013 HP bump, I wanted to refuse delivery of the 2012, and put in an order for a 2013 instead. I was slightly miffed given how new the 650 is, and it was something I basically predicted a while back, but was told by the dealer not to expect it. So I gave them 3 options 1) I refuse delivery of the 2012, eat the deposit, and order a 2013. 2) Eat the deposit and go elsewhere with my business entirely. 3) Take delivery of the 2012 and trade for a 2013 assuming they make me a good deal on the trade in.

I chose 3 because they are basically giving me full value for my 2012, with minimal depreciation upon trade. For the M6, the transaction is a bit less advantageous for me given that it is more sought after, but worth it IMO.

xDrive McGee 07-09-2012 03:02 PM

Just a tweak to the order. Going with the full canyon brown interior, not amaro. I don't get the lighter headliner, but I like the color better overall.

jettie1767 07-09-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6940161)
Thank folks. jettie - the story in a nutshell is that I ordered a 2012 xDrive several months ago, before delivery and upon hearing about the 2013 HP bump, I wanted to refuse delivery of the 2012, and put in an order for a 2013 instead. I was slightly miffed given how new the 650 is, and it was something I basically predicted a while back, but was told by the dealer not to expect it. So I gave them 3 options 1) I refuse delivery of the 2012, eat the deposit, and order a 2013. 2) Eat the deposit and go elsewhere with my business entirely. 3) Take delivery of the 2012 and trade for a 2013 assuming they make me a good deal on the trade in.

I chose 3 because they are basically giving me full value for my 2012, with minimal depreciation upon trade. For the M6, the transaction is a bit less advantageous for me given that it is more sought after, but worth it IMO.

Glad it worked out for you! You will definitely love the M6.

southern6er22 07-09-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6940053)
Google the color and lots of pics will show up. It's teh sex!

I've seen Singapore Grey, and it is indeed beautiful. I just wanted you to build my ideal car :)

xDrive McGee 07-11-2012 01:47 PM

Thanks for reminding me! Had to cancel my xDrive "regular." Getting 2 6ers - now that would've been AWKWAAAARD!

southern6er22 07-12-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6945904)
Thanks for reminding me! Had to cancel my xDrive "regular." Getting 2 6ers - now that would've been AWKWAAAARD!

That awkward moment when you have to pick between two hot twins...

What's wrong with getting both? Then you'd have one that stays composed in all situations and the other is all kinds of fun by being a freak in the sheets... I mean on the streets.

I want to clarify that I'm talking about the cars in case that wasn't clear ;)

xDrive McGee 08-31-2012 05:27 AM

Now in production! Status 155 as of yesterday!

xDrive McGee 09-07-2012 05:16 PM

On the boat!

PS. In case anyone is actually following this.

southern6er22 09-08-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 7060457)
On the boat!

PS. In case anyone is actually following this.

Woohoo! Hard part's over - at least that's how it was for me. It hit the boat, took 14 days to get to the port, and it was at my dealership within 48 hours. Can't wait to see it.

xDrive McGee 09-09-2012 06:53 AM

Let's pray for 2 weeks. It'll be the longest 2 weeks in a long time!

MMLLC 09-10-2012 11:26 PM

I dono...for some 10 years ago being on the boat could be considered the hardest...and worst part :rofl:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/off...-wreckage.html

Had to bring it up, the set up was there :)

xDrive McGee 09-11-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMLLC (Post 7066357)
I dono...for some 10 years ago being on the boat could be considered the hardest...and worst part :rofl:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/off...-wreckage.html

Had to bring it up, the set up was there :)

LOL don't think that didn't cross my mind! :eeps:

xDrive McGee 09-11-2012 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Winter tires have landed!