Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   ABS Module is bad (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630933)

Dan335i 07-03-2012 11:15 AM

ABS Module is bad

Newbie here. Just took my 08 335i to a local mechanic because all of the ABS dash lights came on after a hard brake. He told me the ABS module was bad and quoted me $900.00 for the complete job. Not sure if that is a good price or not. Can someone recommend a good mechanic in the Tampa bay area that I could get another opinion. Thank you for your help.

floydarogers 07-03-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan335i (Post 6931873)
Newbie here. Just took my 08 335i to a local mechanic because all of the ABS dash lights came on after a hard brake. He told me the ABS module was bad and quoted me $900.00 for the complete job. Not sure if that is a good price or not. Can someone recommend a good mechanic in the Tampa bay area that I could get another opinion. Thank you for your help.

That's a good price. I believe there is a cheaper ($250 ?) method if you're willing to DIY. Pull the module, send it out for re-build, and replace. Can't remember the search terms...

sunny5280 07-03-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan335i (Post 6931873)

I can't help you with the recommendation but I think a second opinion is in order. Seems odd it would fail right after a hard brake.

90rr 07-03-2012 03:51 PM

bmw dealership quoted me around $1200- $1400 for part installation and programing. I got help from fellow member on this forum, he paid 350 for refurbished part and 100 for instalation and programing. I can pm you a link for pump.
let me know

David1 07-05-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny5280 (Post 6931981)
I can't help you with the recommendation but I think a second opinion is in order. Seems odd it would fail right after a hard brake.

I have seen it many times in other cars. One of the the piston in the pumps freezes.

DSXMachina 07-05-2012 06:58 AM

Not agreeing that the OP needs a module, but this is one of the best companies rebuilding them; BBA, Taunton MA, 866-573-2740 toll free. Never had a bad job from them.
My personal opinion; get a second opinion if you have not been using this garage long enough to have an established relationship. (If you pop the ABS motor fuse you'll light up your dashboard. Fuses sometimes fail on a one shot basis due to the ABS pump not having operated in a long time. Don't want to second guess the garage, they had the job in the shop and may be correct in the diagnosis.)

Dan335i 07-05-2012 08:31 AM

Thank you all for your help. I did get another quote on Tuesday. They came to the same conclusion it is a bad module as well quoted me $815.00 out the door. Just sucks that this is become a common problem and BMW does not have a recall on it.

floydarogers 07-05-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSXMachina (Post 6934577)
Not agreeing that the OP needs a module, but this is one of the best companies rebuilding them; BBA, Taunton MA, 866-573-2740 toll free. Never had a bad job from them.

Thanks for coming up with that name. Your brain is more tuned to this stuff than a dilettante like me.:thumbup:

Two things come to mind (regarding the price). 1) This is partly a result of BMW NA deciding to not fix/rebuild things that break, but to just replace them with new/reconditioned parts (transmission for instance.) 2) Be glad you don't have an NSX. My pump/valving went at around 50K miles, but the dealership/Acura decided to do a goodwill repair :thumbup:since I had had the brake fluid changed at the dealer every 15K miles as suggested. The part alone was $2500.:bawling:

DSXMachina 07-05-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydarogers (Post 6934781)
Thanks for coming up with that name. Your brain is more tuned to this stuff than a dilettante like me.:thumbup:

Two things come to mind (regarding the price). 1) This is partly a result of BMW NA deciding to not fix/rebuild things that break, but to just replace them with new/reconditioned parts (transmission for instance.) 2) Be glad you don't have an NSX. My pump/valving went at around 50K miles, but the dealership/Acura decided to do a goodwill repair :thumbup:since I had had the brake fluid changed at the dealer every 15K miles as suggested. The part alone was $2500.:bawling:

I have that company on speed dial.
ABS modules are very complex pieces of machinery and how much can be done depends on the design. Some have sub-modules for the electronics, the motor/pump, and the valves. Those are the ones which can usually be selectively rebuilt depending on where the work is needed. As a result cost is lower.
In my experience, properly rebuilt units are as good as or better than the originals since the failure prone parts are replaced with modified (improved) parts.

Southwest 07-15-2012 06:00 PM

I have the same yellow "idiots lights" on my dash. I called my independent mechanic and they suggested my car needs a new ABS module and the part is $900. They said sometimes the warning lights are false and they will go away, only to reappear again, and so on. I'm supposed to drive it for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Of course watch out coming around a corner with water, etc.

htownres 07-17-2012 10:25 AM

Almost same thing

My car 2008 with 15k miles had the DSC hydro unit go. Not sure if it's the same or related to the ABS pump, but I still think these are breaking awfully early. My dealer had to swamp pump, flush brake fluid/clutch slave, then reprogram the entire car. Took the whole day and cost the better part of $1k. I was told the pump was replaced with a better design from Continental/Teves, so I'm hoping they got it right with version #2. I figured by the time I find an indy shop and add it up, I won't save that much and the dealer installed part came with a 2 year warranty.

fingers crossed...

goinsurfin 09-13-2012 09:05 AM

I'm hoping this is the same issue, but for a 08 328i, the ABS light is also on.

The local bmw indy shop said its the ABS hydraulic pump motor that needs replacement. Was quoted $2700ish for the part, any programing, plus labor. In South Florida. If this is the same issue, obviously i was quoted something crazy. I'm not in a position to DIY this so can anyone from S. FL recommend another shop to quote this again?

PLUS, the check engine light is on and was told its a "camshaft sensor intake" quoted $210. Is this a reasonable price?
Thanks huge!

slant83 09-13-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinsurfin (Post 7071582)

The local bmw indy shop said its the ABS hydraulic pump motor that needs replacement. Was quoted $2700ish for the part, any programing, plus labor. In South Florida. If this is the same issue, obviously i was quoted something crazy. I'm not in a position to DIY this so can anyone from S. FL recommend another shop to quote this again?

PLUS, the check engine light is on and was told its a "camshaft sensor intake" quoted $210. Is this a reasonable price?
Thanks huge!

...cheaper at the dealer...$1200 range

floydarogers 09-13-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Yes.

goinsurfin 09-13-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slant83 (Post 7071756)
...cheaper at the dealer...$1200 range

Oh yeah? I'm in Miami. Which dealer are you referring to and do you know if that price includes labor or is it separate? I really appreciate the feedback.

This guidance is another reason why both the BMW and Land Rover communities are special! We look out for each other! Thanks!

goinsurfin 09-13-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydarogers (Post 7071906)
Yes.

Thank you!

90rr 09-14-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks huge!

check your PM
:thumbup:

ATI 02-04-2013 09:12 AM

Hi all, someone used the ABS installed? I bought for my BMW 328 2007, but the dealer refused to program ABS, bought new for $ 410 on ECStyuning. What to do with used. Somebody reprogrammed?

hondo402000 02-04-2013 09:53 AM

on a side note if you have the ABS module out, replace the vacuum booster gasket and check valve, easier to do with all that removed, ( a known problem is the brake booster vacuum leaks down over night resulting in a hard brake peddle in the morning or first start caused by leaking check valve and or bad grommet

Hondo

aba030 06-05-2013 03:21 AM

It turns out I also need to get a new ABS module for my 2008 E93. A new part from BMW retails for roughly $2,700, but it's available from Tischer for roughly $2,100. My 3rd party extended warranty is covering the part and some labor (2.5 hours), but the dealer is saying the job requires 5 hours to complete (need to bleed the brakes). Does the 5 hour quote seem reasonable?

ATI 06-05-2013 03:29 PM

Abs

I bought a new on ecs tuning- $410, replaced myself and programming on BMW -$120. Total $530

ptrcd003 06-05-2013 07:18 PM

If you have some free time, cut open the old ABS module and look at the solder joints. On the E46s, the modules would fail because the joints would break. Simply retouch all the connectors with a soldering gun and that should fix the issue.

DSXMachina 06-05-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptrcd003 (Post 7633418)
If you have some free time, cut open the old ABS module and look at the solder joints. On the E46s, the modules would fail because the joints would break. Simply retouch all the connectors with a soldering gun and that should fix the issue.

Not certain, but I believe the E9x modules are gel encapsulated which makes your fix near impossible.

fun2drive 10-04-2013 08:20 AM

Faults 5DF0 and 5DF1: ABS Pump and Control Unit

This is the first code that my 2007 E93 has thrown.
As an update to those that will run into this problem note that there are two part numbers for this system, one for the early 2007 models up to around 9/2007 (verify this with your VIN) and the other for later 2007 on.
PNs are
34506777160 early 2007's
34506777164 later 2007's on

Here is a DIY for those so inclined (like me)
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600491

One member there sent his pump and distributor assembly out to a place in England for a rebuild.

DSX has provided a local US company that can do the rebuilds. I plan to keep my pump and distributor and send it off to the company he recommended so I have a spare. I purchased the system from this location, a BMW dealer in Minn. This was the cheapest system I could locate even checking ESC and Tischer
BMW OF MINNETONKA
wlais@bmwofminnetonka.com

No point in doing a DIY since I plan to follow the one posted above.

Just trying to add to the thread with part numbers and the DIY. Seems this isn't all that expensive for labor based on what I have seen when researching this. Part is still 1000 bucks plus or minus.

Also I plan to remove my control module and install that on the new pump and distributor since it is already programmed and then brake bleed and do some ABS pulsing to purge any air out of that unit.
Hope this helps someone else that has this problem. By the way I reset the codes and they didn't come back for a few driving cycles but are back now so most likely as said before a piston in the distribution block must be sticking speculating here...

SilverX3 10-04-2013 01:33 PM

$900 is a bargain