Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Back in the Bimmer Fold (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631171)

ronr9286t 07-04-2012 06:46 PM

Back in the Bimmer Fold

After being Bimmer-less for about 10 years, we're back in the fold! We just picked up a 2009 X3 with 30,000 miles. It has 15 months left on the factory warrantee, and it was sold new and serviced by our local BMW dealer (Sonnen BMW in San Rafael, CA).

I've been lurking on this forum, perusing Autotrader, and searching at the dealers for about a year. We wanted a 2007 - 2010, and probably looking at a 2008 based on price. We found this one at our local and newly-opened Mini dealer, and I was able to cut a good deal, in part(I suspect), because the General Manager, Sales Manager, and Used Care Manager all came from the nearby Mercedes dealer where we had purchased 3 cars in the past several years.

We've been driving 2 Smart Cabriolets for the past 3.5 years (4.5 years on our 2008 and 3.5 years on the 2009). We traded the 2008 and now have one economical and very small 2-seat convertable, and one road car/load hauler. We're kidless, so our loads are relatively small. After the test drive in the X3, we were sold! When we drive the Smart for short trips after driving the X3, we realize how we'd gotten used to being blown around, specially on the bridges here in the SF Bay area.

The X3 is black with all of the packages except the Sport Package, which is the exact configuration we'd want if we bought one new. The color is the only thing we're not crazy about (heat, hard to keep clean-looking, shows every ding), but the deal was way too attractive to pass up.

The only items missing from the car are the two outboard rear headrests (which we can do without) and the luggage roller-cover. I'll be searching for one on e-bay and/or here on the forum.

The information on the forum is incredibly valuable, and I look forward to participating in the months and years to come.

Ron

elevatorguy925 07-04-2012 08:01 PM

Congrat on your new ride!
Welcome to the forum and back to BMW :thumbup:
I had the same experience, one test drive, bought the car :)
So far, very pleased.

UncleJ 07-05-2012 06:40 AM

BMW="Basic Marin Wheels":rofl: Welcome back to the fold. You can find those headrests at virtually any import wrecking yard --- Ooops! "Automobile recycling center" for Marinites. Lots of them out there, many flood casualties from the SE and of course the usual "wrecks". The cargo roller shade is probably sitting in the previous owner's garage and he/she hasn't realized it is still there. Your Sonnen guy can give them a call and ask if your X3 was a trade in and not an auction buy. Might even have the headrests too. Never hurts to ask.:angel:

ronr9286t 07-05-2012 07:09 AM

Back in the Bimmer Fold

Thanks for the welcome back!

I will have Sonnen try the original owner.

Ron

X3-terrestrial 07-05-2012 09:13 AM

Welcome back to Bimah-world.!

Captain Roundel 07-07-2012 11:19 AM

Bmrparts.com in Rancho Cordova has acres of wrecked Bimmers. They might have the headrests. Enjoy the X!

Captain Roundel 07-07-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 6934548)
BMW="Basic Marin Wheels":rofl: Welcome back to the fold. You can find those headrests at virtually any import wrecking yard --- Ooops! "Automobile recycling center" for Marinites. Lots of them out there, many flood casualties from the SE and of course the usual "wrecks". The cargo roller shade is probably sitting in the previous owner's garage and he/she hasn't realized it is still there. Your Sonnen guy can give them a call and ask if your X3 was a trade in and not an auction buy. Might even have the headrests too. Never hurts to ask.:angel:

Basic Marin Wheels..LOL. When I lived in Marin I drove beater cars or rode the GG Bus. The bus was a great place to meet girls in the 1970's! :p
It feels funny when I visit San Rafael in the Z3..35 years later I have a Bimmer!

ronr9286t 07-08-2012 09:34 AM

Back in the Fold

I found the luggage cover on Craigs List at a good price. I'm in no rush for the headrests.

First longish road trip tomorrow, Sausalito-Red Bluff-Chico-Sausalito. I'm anxious to get a read on highway fuel economy on this type of trip. Can't wait.

Ron