Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Next Gen X1 will come in FWD and AWD and Share Platform with MINI (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631321)

tim330i 07-05-2012 01:53 PM

Next Gen X1 will come in FWD and AWD and Share Platform with MINI

Next generation X1 to share FWD with MINI

BMW insiders indicate that the next generation X1 will share a common platform with the MINI Countryman and the 1 Series GT which is rumored to be release at the up coming Paris Auto Show (BMW Releases at the Paris Motor Show).

The common platform, know as UKL, which is short for 'Unter Klass' or 'entry level' will provide a common chassis for multiple cars in BMW and MINI's line up reducing cost. For the next generation X1 the use of the UKL will have several major impacts -
  • The X1 will come either front wheel driver or all wheel drive with no rear wheel drive only option
  • Only 4 cylinder transverse mounted engine option will be available. BMW has confirmed it will not re-engineer a 6 cylinder to be transversely mounted
  • A transversely mounted 4 cylinder will increase passenger and cargo room
  • The cost should be cheaper then current X1s

That is a lot of change from the current X1 offerings. Do these changes increase or decrees your excitement about the next X1?

Source autocar.co.uk

AzNMpower32 07-05-2012 09:15 PM

So......people will crossshop that with cars like the Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Chevy Equinox, etc.....

Americans tend to be pretty dumb consumers, but I somehow doubt the badge on the bonnet/hood will be sufficient to convince buyers to fork out their dough for a front-drive based X1, even if it has AWD as an option.

jnr 07-09-2012 06:00 PM

Why not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 6936026)
So......people will crossshop that with cars like the Ford Escape, Toyota RAV4, Chevy Equinox, etc.....

Americans tend to be pretty dumb consumers, but I somehow doubt the badge on the bonnet/hood will be sufficient to convince buyers to fork out their dough for a front-drive based X1, even if it has AWD as an option.

Folks are gaga about the fwd mini . . .

So even though I know that God intended for any decent car to have power at its rear wheels, my expectations as to what can be sold to folks who will buy bmws in the future, as the brand is expanded to go from tricycles to the Goodyear blimp, are minimal.

bmwtech78 07-09-2012 06:43 PM

I heard the X1 was either all wheel drive or rear wheel drive with coventional longitudinal engine mounting. Where did you hear about transverse mounted? The pre pro x1 I saw was longitudinal 4 cylinder with four wheel drive.

Sent from my R800x using Bimmer App