Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Oil filter parts ??? not identified (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631722)

diablo10 07-07-2012 03:57 PM

Oil filter parts ??? not identified

1 Attachment(s)
I was changing my oil on my N62 X5 engine. when I took the filter down, two prats came down with it that dont belong to the filter. I looked at the TKM diagrams but I could not see where these parts belong to. does anyone know where these parts could have come from? could it be from the oil pump? I have attached the picture. can anyone one help. Thanks

Attachment 332047

williamX5 07-07-2012 06:46 PM

Good day,

Without actually taking my oil filter canister apart, I can't be positive, but I believe it is an anti-flow back valve or flow regulation valve of some kind that sits in the bottom of the filter canister... My X5 is actually due for an oil change soon... I will take some pictures when I do... This isn't the first time I have seen this issue...

Cheers!!

diablo10 07-07-2012 07:16 PM

. Actually when I chnaged the oil last time. I did not see these parts in the canister. This time when I was inscrewing the canister and before I took the canister off, once I pulled it down, the parts came down with it . They were resting in top of the element. So they were not in the canister .

williamX5 07-08-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo10 (Post 6939187)
. Actually when I chnaged the oil last time. I did not see these parts in the canister. This time when I was inscrewing the canister and before I took the canister off, once I pulled it down, the parts came down with it . They were resting in top of the element. So they were not in the canister .

AAAhhh.. My fault... Kinda... It might be the same item I am thinking about but I didn't pull up an 04, which is different than my 01... Yours is flipped over so the filter comes out the bottom unlike mine that has a cap and filter lifts out of the canister... Did you happen to see a small spring in there too? You may not since yours might be pressure operated... I can pull my filter without draining my oil and see what I see... I'll post pics after Church...

Cheers!!

Have a blessed Sunday all!!

diablo10 07-21-2012 10:24 PM

well, i put the filter back in and filled the crankcase with oil ans started it, did not feel anything different. so i am going to keep on driving it until i feel a difference. thank you for your input and feedback.

Franksauto 08-01-2012 07:35 PM

I believe that is a check valve or pressure valve. yes you do need it installed. I had one come out in one om my cars about 20 years ago. I just stuck it back in the hole it came out of and was good to go. However it wasnt a BMW.

baldmountain 01-12-2013 09:34 AM

me too!

I ran into this too. Does anyone know where these parts actually go? I took the filter housing off, and looked carefully, and I don't see anyplace they'd attach.

Also, do I have to put them back, or can it wait until next oil change? (I don't want to have to replace another $75 worth od synthetic oil.)

I have a 2005 X5. The filter housing comes off underneath the vehicle.

thanks,