Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Sudden yellow brake and dsc light (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631754)

Cotwell 07-07-2012 07:36 PM

Sudden yellow brake and dsc light
 
About 10 minutes ago i was just driving minding my own business and suddenly the dsc and yellow brake light along with a beep came on. I havent searched for any clues of the cause since im pretty busy right now. I recently put in new control arms with bushings which made my alignment off a bit. Could the alignment be the cause or maybe wheel speed sensors/dsc failure/abs? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Fast Bob 07-07-2012 07:50 PM

You sure you didn`t inadvertently push the DSC button ?

smolck 07-07-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotwell (Post 6939215)
About 10 minutes ago i was just driving minding my own business and suddenly the dsc and yellow brake light along with a beep came on. I havent searched for any clues of the cause since im pretty busy right now. I recently put in new control arms with bushings which made my alignment off a bit. Could the alignment be the cause or maybe wheel speed sensors/dsc failure/abs? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Your car COULD be out of alignment enough to cause the DSC to activate, it isn't unheard of after a change like yours. It could also be the wheel speed sensor. You really need someone with the proper scanner that can tell you which one is bad, IF they are bad.

Cotwell 07-07-2012 08:01 PM

Positive. I pushed the dsc button after the lights came on and nothing happend.

Cotwell 07-07-2012 08:18 PM

Well im doing my alignment at work monday morning so we will see what happens from then on. Thanks for the help!

sea6speed 07-07-2012 08:51 PM

In your situation it is probably alignment, but at the age of these cars, wheel speed and steering angle sensor are also possible.

dkotanto 07-07-2012 10:11 PM

I had the same issue. Culprit is the DSC pressure sensor, part#2 in the picture below. There are two of them, read the codes and it will tell you which one:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...92&hg=34&fg=25

tdd 07-08-2012 06:50 AM

With me, the culprit was the abs control module.

Cotwell 07-10-2012 10:55 AM

Ive just got back from doing my alignment with a buddy at work so now my steering is dead-on straight. Now the dsc and yellow brake light are still on. I've only drove about 1 mile with the lights still on. I'm not sure if I have to keep driving so the computer can learn that the alignment is correct or do I have to get the lights reset at the dealer. (if the alignment was the reason the lights came on) anyone know?

Fast Bob 07-10-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotwell (Post 6943549)
Ive just got back from doing my alignment with a buddy at work so now my steering is dead-on straight. Now the dsc and yellow brake light are still on. I've only drove about 1 mile with the lights still on. I'm not sure if I have to keep driving so the computer can learn that the alignment is correct or do I have to get the lights reset at the dealer. (if the alignment was the reason the lights came on) anyone know?

*As was already mentioned*, there`s a good chance it could be a wheel-speed sensor....especially considering your location, where they sand & salt the roads several months out of the year. Sometimes they just get dirty/corroded, and a good cleaning will get them back in proper working order (if you`re lucky).

rbaisa 07-16-2012 08:23 AM

I have a dumb question about these lights. Are these lights that need to be reset or do they just go off when everything is correct? I have seen posting that say both things. Will a computer tell you if a wheel sensor is bad? I used the peak and it didn't give me any codes at all?

E46_Ci 07-16-2012 08:50 AM

My car did this after it sat for 6 days without being driven... and was on a 6 year old battery... had battery replaced and never happened again... car has sat for 10 days without driving and no errors given.

crowz 07-16-2012 09:48 AM

Mine did that after sitting for 4 years and a bad battery. To make the lights go out I just drove the car 1 mile after putting a new battery in.

Brobby87 07-16-2012 09:53 AM

Did any of your guy's batteries still show 'Green' on the indicator yet it was still bad? Or was the indicator 'Yellow' and thats how you knew it was bad? Reason im asking is im pretty sure my battery is old yet it still shows the 'Green' indicator and I'm have this same problem.

crowz 07-16-2012 10:02 AM

My battery light had looong since stopped glowing any color at all :)

4 years dead does that it seems.....

Cotwell 07-16-2012 10:56 AM

With my situation (if anyone cares) both lights turned off the next day. So my alignment was the problem.

smolck 07-16-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cotwell (Post 6954513)
With my situation (if anyone cares) both lights turned off the next day. So my alignment was the problem.

I'd hold off on that judgement. When I had some bad wheel sensors and when I had a bad ABS pump, my car would sometimes show the lights, sometimes it worked fine.

Brobby87 07-16-2012 06:00 PM

My BRAKE and DSC lights have come on and been on since about December last year. I really need to refresh my control arms and bushings. I plan on doing that and having an alignment done. If that doesn't help things then i know for sure ill have to start testing the module for bad sensors or look into my battery (even though it still has the green indicator).

JBW2BF 11-30-2012 07:47 AM

Hopefully, it will be helpful to someone. Like Cotwell, it was alignment for me too. After I replaced the Control Arms and Bushings, both the DSC and Brake yellow lights came on. Did the four wheels alignment and drove for 15 to 20 miles. The next time I started the car, both DSC and Brake yellow lights were off.

scarede46er 11-30-2012 10:03 AM

I think you should def have your codes read, Brobby. A 30 buck BMW scanner of Ebay will pinpoint exactly where the fault lies.

Fast Bob 11-30-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarede46er (Post 7223302)
I think you should def have your codes read, Brobby. A 30 buck BMW scanner of Ebay will pinpoint exactly where the fault lies.

You`re 5 months late to the party....

scarede46er 11-30-2012 10:11 AM

damn nigga.. should check the dates ha ha.. it popped up as a new post.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms