Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 F15 (2014 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Next Generation BMW X5 Spied Testing (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632319)

tim330i 07-10-2012 02:52 PM

Next Generation BMW X5 Spied Testing
 
5 Attachment(s)
2014 next generation BMW X5 spy pictures

BMW has been busy preparing the next generation X5 Sport Activity Vehicle. The all new X5 will go on sale in 2013, likely as a model year 2014. Spied hot weather testing BMW is not ready giveaway the body lines of the new X5 just yet. What we can tell is that the headlights appear to connect to the front kidney grills similar to the F30 3 series. Otherwise the styling is generally the same. The rear tail lights show are test mule place holders, expect a 5 series style wrap around light in the rear. The body size and wheel base has also grown a few inches in each direction to increase interior capacity and road going ability.

Under the skin the X5 will share the general drivetrain components from the recently launched BMW X3, expanding on BMW's 'X for all' concept. Engines will be updated versions of the current engines and I wouldn't be surprised to see an 4 cylinder N20 powered X5, but perhaps not state side.

With the new X5 about a year out who's already anxiously awaiting the latest X5?

dms540i 07-10-2012 06:08 PM

Those aren't kidney grilles, that's one HUUUUUGE grill. Last time I saw one that big was on a '73 Jag.

Me530 07-10-2012 06:11 PM

I wish it was out this year.

UncleJ 07-10-2012 08:55 PM

I thought it was an old Rover grille!:yikes:

Emission 07-10-2012 09:47 PM

I hope it has lost 500 pounds. Um, at least. ;)

- Mike

maxeaus 07-11-2012 01:32 AM

Looks more like a new Rolls Royce SUV with that grille. ;)

hsindogg 07-11-2012 06:35 AM

BMW is now competing with Bentley and Chrysler for biggest chrome grills I see...

Emission 07-11-2012 09:06 AM

It's a prototype grille guys. :thumbup:

- Mike

tim330i 07-11-2012 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dms540i (Post 6944267)
Those aren't kidney grilles, that's one HUUUUUGE grill. Last time I saw one that big was on a '73 Jag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 6944550)
I thought it was an old Rover grille!:yikes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsindogg (Post 6944958)
BMW is now competing with Bentley and Chrysler for biggest chrome grills I see...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission (Post 6945270)
It's a prototype grille guys. :thumbup:

- Mike

The black grill opening is just the air inlet for the real grills which are hidden behind the camo. I messed around with the high res spy shot in photoshop to pull out the grills behind the mesh.

next generation BMW X5 grills exposed

They look like standard size kidney grills to me.

Penguin 07-11-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i (Post 6945299)
The black grill opening is just the air inlet for the real grills which are hidden behind the camo....They look like standard size kidney grills to me.

Of course they are. And for those who thought the grill was not just some disguise/camo, here's another hint -- the new model will not be painted in swirls of white and black either.

AutoUnion 07-11-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emission (Post 6944646)
I hope it has lost 500 pounds. Um, at least. ;)

- Mike

If not, I'm jumping ship to Porsche when I'm ready to switch :rofl::thumbup:

Grimnebulin 07-11-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 6945311)
Of course they are. And for those who thought the grill was not just some disguise/camo, here's another hint -- the new model will not be painted in swirls of white and black either.

But the dealer told me I could pre-order it in that color! :cry::bawling: :D

pa50i 07-12-2012 06:34 AM

I don't know. I'm thinking the new one will lose some of the more muscular body and hood lines of the current model. I wouldnt change a thing about the look of current 50i styling with 20's. I love it and I may opt for another one later this year before they are gone instead of ordering a 2014 next year. Look at what Porsche did to the Cayenne styling? Much more feminine body lines compared to the old one. Given the interior needed a ton of updates, I think the Cayenne could have looked more aggressive than it turned out. I'm thinking the new X5 may suffer the same and look too much like an X3.
Just a hunch. I like the current look a lot in 50i or Sport trim with 20s.

Grimnebulin 07-12-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pa50i (Post 6947249)
I don't know. I'm thinking the new one will lose some of the more muscular body and hood lines of the current model. I wouldnt change a thing about the look of current 50i styling with 20's. I love it and I may opt for another one later this year before they are gone instead of ordering a 2014 next year. Look at what Porsche did to the Cayenne styling? Much more feminine body lines compared to the old one. Given the interior needed a ton of updates, I think the Cayenne could have looked more aggressive than it turned out. I'm thinking the new X5 may suffer the same and look too much like an X3.
Just a hunch. I like the current look a lot in 50i or Sport trim with 20s.

My thoughts exactly - that's why we pulled the trigger now and got a '13. The '14 is sounding like it might be softer looking like the X3. :thumbup:

BMW 3-SERIES 07-13-2012 10:09 PM

Guys look closer, the ACTUAL grills stop at half of that black mesh. The grills are not going to be that big. Promise.

1naztyx5 07-13-2012 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I see they finally came out with a minivan, but why call it an X5? lol

AutoUnion 07-14-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1naztyx5 (Post 6950845)
I see they finally came out with a minivan, but why call it an X5? lol

That's a JDM Honda Odyssey with a E90 coupe front, but cool mod :rofl:

TexasBMW 07-15-2012 07:45 AM

With 80k on my odometer, that replacement cycle fits me about perfectly. I'll revisit the Cayenne too. Great info. Thanks!

Penguin 07-15-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBMW (Post 6952659)
With 80k on my odometer, that replacement cycle fits me about perfectly. I'll revisit the Cayenne too. Great info. Thanks!

Perhaps you are right; however, the first model year of a redesign typically has problems, particularly when it is a BMW. I'd wait the the second-year after a redesign myself.

AutoUnion 07-16-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 6953394)
Perhaps you are right; however, the first model year of a redesign typically has problems, particularly when it is a BMW. I'd wait the the second-year after a redesign myself.

Or just get the LCI to be careful :rofl:

BR328 07-16-2012 07:52 AM

Sign me up for a diesel version...

Penguin 07-16-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoUnion (Post 6953958)
Or just get the LCI to be careful :rofl:

Actually, that is a quite good recommendation.

ktono 09-25-2012 07:43 PM

I'm on the bubble with the last of the current X5 design that I really like with my 2010 4.8. My lease is up in February but could extend if I felt compelled and pictures were out to convince me it's not "feminine". Sure I would like a lighter and quicker version but not at the risk of 1st year issues and a softer look. Right now I'm good with the same thing for three more years but will take a different color from Sapphire Black over Cinnamon.

swisstype 09-27-2012 03:00 PM

I love my X5. But after waiting and seeing the newer X5 more and more, I just dont think it iwll live up to my expectations, plus I need a true 3rd row option. I ended up ordering a 2013 GL550. After driving one, I have to say taht while it isnt as nimble as my X5, it is a truly exceptional vehicle. Different than BMW, and in a good way. I can say NOTHING bad about my X5 other than I wish it had fewer miles on it!

AutoUnion 09-27-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swisstype (Post 7100454)
I love my X5. But after waiting and seeing the newer X5 more and more, I just dont think it iwll live up to my expectations, plus I need a true 3rd row option. I ended up ordering a 2013 GL550. After driving one, I have to say taht while it isnt as nimble as my X5, it is a truly exceptional vehicle. Different than BMW, and in a good way. I can say NOTHING bad about my X5 other than I wish it had fewer miles on it!

No need to tell us why. The new GL is a fantastic SUV :thumbup: If I had a large family, it would be the only car I would even think of buying. The new model's interior is top notch. Almost S-Class like. Congrats on the new car!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms