Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   X5 sticky transmission (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632547)

Vinciebat 07-11-2012 04:40 PM

X5 sticky transmission

I drive a 2005 X5 4.4i sport with 109,000 miles. Ive noticed that the transmission will jump coming out of first gear. It doesnt do it all the time, in fact it not often at all. When it does happen its usually during a rolling stop or if i take my foot of the gas and let it coast for a bit then step on the gas slowly. I have modified my driving to minimize the jumping as much as i can. Does this sound like a sticky valve or signs of a larger problem? About how much would a valve replacement run? Everything else works great and i love the car, but replacing a transmission is an investment i dont want to make. Advice anyone? Thanks!

cueboydave 07-14-2012 12:49 PM

trans

You could try having the Trans. module re-flashed, I'm sure there is a software upgrade for this problem or a similar problem... you have nothing to lose...

2003exmark 07-20-2012 02:57 PM

I have an 04 4.4i with 97k. When I do a rolling stop and then hit the gas the transmission will slam into first with a bang. Is this similar to the "jump" you are experiencing? I have accepted this and modified my driving. Otherwise the trans is excellent and does everything it should. Got it with 72k and a year later has 97k and exactly the same as the day I got it. I think this is fairly common.

Torvald1 07-21-2012 10:29 AM

1st gear transmission jump

my wife thought I was being an ass in my driving when the car did this! I told her it was not me and I was thinking also that the tranny needed a 'reflash' reset as it was originally delivered in Germany! Long story short - it was the fuel pump! We got it 2nd hand but had the sense to buy the used car warranty which did cover this. The engine ran fine and usually did this lurch/jump thing after a rolling stop too. Test the fuel pump and replace the fuel filter as this is always a good idea when changing the fuel pump as well. Its an easy fix and you can find the youtube video online. Last resort would be to reflash the tranny as you suggested but check the fuel pump pressure first. Good luck!:beerchug:

jrob216 10-16-2012 04:02 PM

I have been experiencing this same tranny issue since I got my 2005 X5 4.8is back in July with 74K miles on it. I took it to the dealer today and was told I needed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, intermediate levers and eccentric shafts for the low, low cost of approx $6800 + no car for 1 week. Below is the tech write-up:

FAILED INTERMEDIATE LEVERS.
VERIFIED CUSTOMER COMPLAINT: SES LIGHT ON. CHECKED FAULT MEMORY.
FOUND FAULT FOR CYL #7 MISFIRE AND RANDOM MULTIPLE MISFIRE FAULT STORED.
CHECKED SPARK PLUGS AND COILS. FOUND OK. CHECKED FUEL COMPOSITION.
FOUND BELOW 10% ALCOHOL CONTENT HOWEVER NOTED METALLIC DEBRIS IN FUEL.
PERFORMED INTERMEDIATE LEVER TEST AFTER ENGINE COOLED. INTERMEDIATE
LEVERS FAILED TEST. RECOMMEND REPLACING FUEL PUMP AND FUEL FILTER. INTERMEDIATE
LEVERS AND ECCENTRIC SHAFTS.

Has anyone done similar repairs to their X5? I really don't wanna dump almost $7K to repair costs. Any advice?

-Jeff

SFbay 10-16-2012 04:07 PM

No no no, it's a tranny issue!
Or better to say your mechatronic module. Believe it or not it causes tons of issues.
6hp26 is very interesting tranny;)
1600$ new module and it will be back to normal life.

jrob216 10-16-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFbay (Post 7138374)
No no no, it's a tranny issue!
Or better to say your mechatronic module. Believe it or not it causes tons of issues.
6hp26 is very interesting tranny;)
1600$ new module and it will be back to normal life.

So are you saying a bad mechatronic module will cause the car to report bad intermediate levers during testing? How is a dealer tech this far off the mark on troubleshooting the issue?

SFbay 10-16-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrob216 (Post 7138382)
So are you saying a bad mechatronic module will cause the car to report bad intermediate levers during testing? How is a dealer tech this far off the mark on troubleshooting the issue?

Dude, are you ok???
Intermediate levers is a totally different Issue and has nothing to do with a famous tranny bump 2-1.
Intermediate levers would give you CEL at least and some misfire problems.
And I understand that you're super cool and can type with CAPS ON like other kids do;)

jrob216 10-16-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFbay (Post 7138465)
Dude, are you ok???
Intermediate levers is a totally different Issue and has nothing to do with a famous tranny bump 2-1.
Intermediate levers would give you CEL at least and some misfire problems.
And I understand that you're super cool and can type with CAPS ON like other kids do;)

LOL...I'm OK...just not a car guy is all. Trying to keep money in my pocket and your tip has helped me in my online researching.

jaysin 10-16-2012 07:35 PM

explain this

2005 4.4 x5... I also have this issue but ONLY when it's cold after the sav has warmed up all is good. This tells me the fluid is low or a miss in the engine. why no dipstick what a pain.:mad: