Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F12 / F13 (2012 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   650i xdrive V 640d (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634315)

gehmjc21 07-20-2012 09:48 AM

650i xdrive V 640d
 
This afternoon my wife and I drove from Florence to Nice. I was a few cars behind what looked to be a gran coupe for a while until I had a chance to pass the car. Turned out to be a 640d coupe, none m sport. It didn't look very aggressive from the rear so hence my confusion.
Anyways, I passed him doing 110ish (mph) and then the fun started. We ended up driving 60+ miles together (with a late addition of a 320d) through the Mediterranean coast anywheres from 85-125mph. Fun fun

Here's my issue....we hit a straight away. I was in sport mode. 4-5 car lengths in front of the 640 and I punched it (without using paddle shifters). I did NOT pull away quite like I would have imagined. We started at 75mph and floored it to about 125mph. I would say I gained 1-2 car lengths over that time.
Could he have been paddle shifting?
I'll be honest I thought I would have pulled much further away.
Either way it was a blast. We pulled into the toll booth and he was ahead of me and pulled away. I gunned is past him one last time. The m sport v8 growl made me smile.
So in closing, off the line I think the 650 was noticeably quicker. High speeds, seemed similar.
Sorry for the crappy review, I'm on my iPhone. I'll plug in my comp later!

Ps. Had a brand new Porsche Carrera (basic model) pass me on the way over today. He gunned it on a straight away and couldn't pull away from me! Hit 138 and it seemed like both cars had so much more. Of course then my wife yelled!

Cheers.

SAMLAMBO 07-20-2012 10:44 AM

If you'd ask me, what gets the car moving is torque. The 640d has 630nm of torque and if I'm not mistaken the 650i has around 600nm of torque. You'd start pulling away if you were on the autobahn. I can't think of anything else if you'll were both pushing equally as hard.

southern6er22 07-20-2012 04:41 PM

That sounds like so much fun! All I had the chance to pull away from today was a Dodge minivan. Not very impressive since a Prius could've taken it :D

Nevertheless, have fun and keep making us proud!

gehmjc21 07-21-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 6963421)
That sounds like so much fun! All I had the chance to pull away from today was a Dodge minivan. Not very impressive since a Prius could've taken it :D

Nevertheless, have fun and keep making us proud!

Thanks southern. It's been a blast. But stressful at times. We dropped her off this morning to be shipped home.
I'm going to write a review of the trip next week and add pics.
I must say I miss my own bed but not the us highways :)

southern6er22 07-21-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gehmjc21 (Post 6963989)
Thanks southern. It's been a blast. But stressful at times. We dropped her off this morning to be shipped home.
I'm going to write a review of the trip next week and add pics.
I must say I miss my own bed but not the us highways :)

Are you doing PCD when you get back, or are you just picking it up from your dealership? Either way, I'm sure it was hard to say good bye. I had trouble getting out of my car, let alone letting it out of my site, for the first couple weeks I had it... Hell, I still have trouble with that :D

xDrive McGee 07-21-2012 09:34 AM

If he got the jump on you, even by a few moments, it definitely would've helped him keep up, though the car is no slouch either way. I imagine paddle shifting could help a bit too, provided he is getting into the right gear a smidge sooner than you.

gehmjc21 07-21-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern6er22 (Post 6964185)
Are you doing PCD when you get back, or are you just picking it up from your dealership? Either way, I'm sure it was hard to say good bye. I had trouble getting out of my car, let alone letting it out of my site, for the first couple weeks I had it... Hell, I still have trouble with that :D



No PCD, just regular pick up. It does give me something to look forward to. But tough none the less!

Xdrive - this may be a stupid question, but why do diesel cars produce more torque? I never quite understood that. Either way I'm just realizing torque is what you need on the highway to go? BHP, of the line?

xDrive McGee 07-21-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gehmjc21 (Post 6964634)
No PCD, just regular pick up. It does give me something to look forward to. But tough none the less!

Xdrive - this may be a stupid question, but why do diesel cars produce more torque? I never quite understood that. Either way I'm just realizing torque is what you need on the highway to go? BHP, of the line?

Not certain either but I think it's related to greater cylinder pressure and/or stroke length - the former is needed due to how diesels produce combustion versus gasoline. Both will provide more torque though - though I am not sure of the 640d cylinder dimensions, so a longer stroke may not be playing a role.

At highway/high speeds, torque becomes less important. Of course, more is still helpful, but not as noticeable as during a 0 - 60 contest.

roadsta 07-21-2012 03:10 PM

power and torque
 
In the end, it is always about power. :D

Revs x torque = power. (In the same way that force x speed = power, in a linear situation.)

So, torque in part determines how much power a car has, but it also depends on the revs at which it can produce that torque.

An engine that produces high torque, but runs out of revs quickly, cannot keep up with one that has similar torque but can rev higher.

A classic is a Formula 1 engine - nowadays a 2.4 liter V8 without turbos. It produces lower torque than a 650 or even a 640, but it can rev to around ~20,000 rpm - that's why they still produce around 800 hp from a engine that has less displacement than many small cars on the road today.

Power is the amount of work per time unit, and determines how much energy can be converted per time unit - how much speed can be 'added' in a given time.

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...and_torque.htm

r

gehmjc21 07-22-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadsta (Post 6964810)
In the end, it is always about power. :D

Revs x torque = power. (In the same way that force x speed = power, in a linear situation.)

So, torque in part determines how much power a car has, but it also depends on the revs at which it can produce that torque.

An engine that produces high torque, but runs out of revs quickly, cannot keep up with one that has similar torque but can rev higher.

A classic is a Formula 1 engine - nowadays a 2.4 liter V8 without turbos. It produces lower torque than a 650 or even a 640, but it can rev to around ~20,000 rpm - that's why they still produce around 800 hp from a engine that has less displacement than many small cars on the road today.

Power is the amount of work per time unit, and determines how much energy can be converted per time unit - how much speed can be 'added' in a given time.

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...and_torque.htm

r

Roadsta, good stuff thank you!

This makes me want the dinan tune that much more :)

xDrive McGee 07-22-2012 04:07 PM

Took my 6 on the highway for the first time last night. Wow. Just, wow.

TopDownInFL 07-22-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDrive McGee (Post 6966246)
Took my 6 on the highway for the first time last night. Wow. Just, wow.

If there was a 'Like' button I'd have pressed it.

babyboss 12-04-2012 09:27 AM

hey u big daddy's (V8) picking on sml daddy's (S6) .. LOL ...
but som cool runs ..


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms