Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Newbie here - just placed order for new X5 35D (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634475)

John Galt 07-21-2012 09:25 AM

Newbie here - just placed order for new X5 35D

Hello Fellow E70'ers:

I posted this in the New Member Intro forum, but since this will be my home for the next 3 years, i figured it would be appopriate to post here as well:

Long time lurker and first time poster. Wife has owned a 335 xDrive for past two years and I finally joined the fray and put an order in yesterday for a 2012 X5 35d, fairly well-optioned (Saphire Black, Black Nevada Leather, Premium, Cold Weather, Multi-countour seats, Apps, Space-saver spare). This vehicle will be personally-owned, and will replace my company-owned fleet vehicle, used for my role in outside sales in the medical industry.

Should any of you wish to see what EXTREME mileage will do to a BMW in a short amount of time, may I suggest you follow my posts. I put an average of 50,000 miles on per year, travelling in some of the harshest climates in North America, outside of Alaska and northern Canada. My territory includes Minnesota, the Dakotas, Iowa and Wisconsin, and offers some great viewing of corn fields and cattle...

This will be an interesting (and potentially financially terrifying) experiment in how well BMW builds the X5, since this one will be paid for and maintained by me. I have run the numbers over and over again and I believe I can make this work. I'm sort of screwed if I cannot, since I have already placed the order, but hell- you gotta live sometime!

I look forward to this forum and its infinite wisdom on appreciating these fine vehicles. Thanks in advance everyone, for going easy on my brevity, as I will be be making these posts on the road- at the edge! :) Looking forward to interacting with all of you and sharing with you as much as I get back from this great forum-

Regards,

John

Lance Alot 07-21-2012 10:18 AM

Haha...great post, and welcome. Congrats on the new X5. I am kind of the opposite situation where I put only 10K or so miles annually, but your experience should be a lot more interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how the car does, and congrats again!

alex md 07-21-2012 11:31 AM

i suspect you will enjoy your new X5 D , this model is in production since 2007 and hopefully will be trouble free, keep us posted:thumbup:
p.s. my best friend is a limo driver in NYC and even he put less milege, 50K very impressive, 1 year and warranty is over!!!

ductman 07-21-2012 12:26 PM

Good luck, I thought I was putting a lot of mileage on at 30k per year, FYI, I picked up an extended BMW Powertrain Plus warranty 5yr/100k, it was relatively inexpensive, it covers most of the high dollar items with the exceptions of the navigation ,HVAC, and suspension.

11leven 07-21-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ductman (Post 6964527)
Good luck, I thought I was putting a lot of mileage on at 30k per year, FYI, I picked up an extended BMW Powertrain Plus warranty 5yr/100k, it was relatively inexpensive, it covers most of the high dollar items with the exceptions of the navigation ,HVAC, and suspension.

How much did it cost to get the power train warranty?
On a side note, is there some kind of bumper to bumper warranty beyond the 50k/4year?

Kar Don 07-21-2012 04:25 PM

Congrats on the X5 D, you will love the hwy fuel econ. If you drive so much why did you order black? Also, shouldn't your company still pay you per mile?

ductman 07-21-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11leven (Post 6964599)
How much did it cost to get the power train warranty?
On a side note, is there some kind of bumper to bumper warranty beyond the 50k/4year?

I don't want to give the exact price but it was under 1800, the best is the platinum which is as close to CPO as possible, the powertrain plus covers the following:

1. Engine, incl turbo assembly, x drive components
2 Transmission
3. Electrical components such as alternator, ECU
4. Diesel catalyst system
5. Cooling system
6. Fuel system

It does not cover steering systems, brake systems nor interior electronics such as nav, etc.