Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   2004 x5 smoking out exhaust (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635431)

Dkellerqh 07-26-2012 05:19 AM

2004 x5 smoking out exhaust

Recently bought x5 with 85000 miles. It's a beautiful vehicle and looks great. I noticed it smokes some and dealer told me he put Rislone engine treatment in it and it would smoke for awhile. Changed oil still smokes. Any ideas

petriej 07-26-2012 10:35 AM

I've never heard of that treatment before, so I can't really comment on that. What color is the smoke? If it's white, then you might have a blown head gasket.

tchavera 07-26-2012 10:50 AM

With the engine running try and take off the oil cap. Is there any suction trying to keep the cap or does it come right off? Give update

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

Dkellerqh 07-26-2012 01:57 PM

2004 x5 smoking

Will try the oil cap thing and let you know. The smoke is a bluish white color. I drove 1000 miles and had to add a quart of oil. Seemed like a bad thing to me. The engine sounds good and has alot of power. I don't hear any knocks or anything. The engine check button says all is okay but I'm concerned.

petriej 07-26-2012 01:59 PM

Check your coolant, it will probably have oil in it.

killaz05 08-01-2012 06:35 AM

It is your CVV (Crankcase Vent Valve) I thought the same thing with the blown head gasket but I towed it to the dealer and that's what it turned out to be. Then I looked around forums for CVV and found it to be a common issue with there vehicles. Hope this helps!

Dkellerqh 08-01-2012 10:44 AM

Thanks for input. Sad news though. It was at the dealer to have this checked and it was wrecked while on a test drive! So no more x5 for me.

petriej 08-01-2012 10:48 AM

The dealer wrecked your X5? I hope they made things right for you. Perhaps a newer X5 diesel?

tchavera 08-01-2012 11:42 AM

Ouch!! Post updates

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App

killaz05 08-01-2012 12:02 PM

Sounds like a new X5 to me. Especially if it is a dealer.

Franksauto 08-01-2012 07:19 PM

That may be a blessing in disguise if its a 4.8l! If it is a 4.8is it could be the valve stem seals and more. This seems to be a common problem and a very expensive fix. I have heard stories of $5000 with no gaurentee it will fix the problem. The valve guides wear and seals will not do it. in this case new heads are incolved costing upwards of $10K!
Now the 4.8 is a totally different animal than the 4.4's and the 3.0's. They usually have some type of CCV/crank case vent issue. Could be the CCV valves, plugged CCV hoses, plugged ports in the valve covers or many other simple fix issues.
I'm going through this right now in my 4.8is hoping for an inexpensive cure. Just joined this forun tonight trying to see what info is out there.

Westlotorn 04-07-2013 01:53 PM

X5 BMW Oil burning: I see many posts blaming Valve Stem Seals. I will suggest to you to check your PCV system. Crank Case Ventilation.

There are two hoses coming from your valve covers to the intake manifold. Pull these hoses one at a time. If there is oil in the hose and you can see oil in the manifold you have found your problem. Your PVC system has a leak allowing the intake to pull air and oil from under the valve covers into the intake manifold which feeds all 8 cylinders with fuel and air.
This has nothing at all to do with Valve stem seals. It us usually a leaking valve cover gasket, not leaking oil out but leaking Air in. If it is pulling air in it will pull oil into the manifold.
The crankcase ventilation on the valve cover can be rebuilt at the same time.
I think many will find this is the source of the BMW oil burning issue.

Note: People who do replace valve stem seals will often fix this same oil burning problem by putting in new gaskets and seals when they replace the valve stem seals.
Most likely they only needed the gaskets and seals/Orings and not the valve stem seals.
To rule out valve stem seals, pull your spark plugs and mark them as to what cylinder they come out of. Read the plugs, if one or two have carbon build up from burning oil you do have a valve stem seal issue. IF all 8 are normal you have a PVC issue. Positive Crankcase ventilation.
In the last month we fixed my son's 4.4L X5. 2005 model year. We did the pass side first because the pass side vent hose was showing lots of oil and shining a light into the manifold where the hose hooked up showed oil in there. The intake manifold should not have any oil in it!!! This pass side fix eliminated 80% of his smoke. He drove it 2 mos more and we just did the Drivers side. Now his smoking tail pipes and oil use are eliminated at 145,000 miles and No Valve Stem Seals were touched. All 8 of his spark plugs looked good when pulled before this work was started, none were oil soaked so I insisted he did not have a Valve Stem seal issue even though many posts he read told him his valve stem seals were shot. If you do not know how to read a spark plug go to NGK,Champion or Bosch websites and look at pictures to see how to read a spark plug.
I hope this helps and saves you money. Valve stem seals are not a common problem but they are getting blamed for a lot of oil use.

Westlotorn 04-16-2014 05:47 PM

Just a follow up a full year later. My son was home for the weekend. We did repair leaking Transmission hoses this trip but the 2005 4.4L V8 is purring better now than at any time he has owned it.
Zero Oil use, Zero Smoke from exhaust. Original and never replaced Valve stem seals are still working fine.
He drives in the City a lot and does some trips into the Lake Tahoe Area and his MPG is at nearly 20 Average, no reset in 5,000 miles. My 4.8L X5 is not that efficient. In town 13-14 with my wife driving, flat highway at best is 19 MPG at 70-75.