Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Rear Hatch opens (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635866)

jerryjash 07-28-2012 12:33 PM

Rear Hatch opens

I have a 2012 x5 and the rear hatch opens by its self 4 times. 2 times in my garage and 2 times in Walmart parking lot.. Does any one else have this problem? Is there a Fix

ChuckGr 07-28-2012 03:47 PM

If the bottom tail gate is not closed all of the way the hatch will open up again. Make sure the bottom is closed well.
Chuck

jerryjash 07-28-2012 05:30 PM

Im sure the lower hatch is closed.This happens hours or days after I park the car. The last time it opened by itself it had been in the garage for couple days.. Wonder if thunder or ligthening would cause it to open. When it opened in the walmart parking lot, I had not opened the hatch for a couple days.. Thanks Chuck

ard 07-29-2012 12:01 AM

I'm sorry, I've got no good ideas for you... but I just kept tripping over "walmart parking lot"

:)

RJ 07-30-2012 08:00 AM

Tail Gate Open

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryjash (Post 6977512)
I have a 2012 x5 and the rear hatch opens by its self 4 times. 2 times in my garage and 2 times in Walmart parking lot.. Does any one else have this problem? Is there a Fix

This has happened to me once when the car was parked in a parking lot. My conclusion:

Do you have comfort access? If so, and the keys are in your pocket with something else in it or just bending down, you may have accidently tripped the 'open hatch' button. I am now more careful in not having anything else in the pocket that I carry the key in.

Just an idea. :dunno:

tlm999 07-30-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ (Post 6980231)
This has happened to me once when the car was parked in a parking lot. My conclusion:

Do you have comfort access? If so, and the keys are in your pocket with something else in it or just bending down, you may have accidently tripped the 'open hatch' button. I am now more careful in not having anything else in the pocket that I carry the key in.

Just an idea. :dunno:

Same thing has happened to me twice with an F10 but I had nothing else in my jeans pocket. The remote has far too long a range, 50+ feet even through walls. Lucky for me both times it was viewed by me or someone who knew me. First time was in my mom's driveway and I was seated in the kitchen with my back turned. Other time I was seated in my doctor's office and just happened to be looking out the window. Had this happened in a parking lot with my back turned, who knows what might be missing.

serge1 07-31-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 6978434)
I'm sorry, I've got no good ideas for you... but I just kept tripping over "walmart parking lot"

:)

Hey, hey! Why the snobbery towards wal-mart? :)
I shop there ocasionally. Get to see a lot of interesting people... especially around 11pm. :D

nyfred 08-07-2012 10:26 AM

I have a 2011 and it has happened to me at least 10 times. Once I was paged in the gym that a BMW hatch is open. I have written BMW USA and checked with two dealerships to see if I could disable the button on the key fob but they can't do it.

It is dangerous if you leave something of value in the truck and it opens, they should fix this problem as simple as making a two click function. If they don't fix the problem my next SUV will not be an X5 I like the truck but this puts added stress on one.

ChuckGr 08-07-2012 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This should help a lot so the buttons don't get pushed in your pocket.

ard 12-29-2012 11:57 AM

Bumping this. Happened twice in the garage overnight, two different nights. Key was not in anyone's pocket. Sitting in a purse and on a counter. Car is parked in garage, never locked.

First time, rear hatch just opened.

Second time- between 12M and 6AM, all 4 doors locked and rear hatch open...

Luckily car was pulled forward enough that rear tailgate did NOT hit the garage door!

Anyone find a explanation OTHER than accidental activation via fob?

onebadgix 12-31-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckGr (Post 6995958)

I read a review on these that if you don't have comfort access, the keyholder will prevent the key from being fully inserted into the ignition.

zampag 12-31-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7277506)
Bumping this. Happened twice in the garage overnight, two different nights. Key was not in anyone's pocket. Sitting in a purse and on a counter. Car is parked in garage, never locked.

Luckily car was pulled forward enough that rear tailgate did NOT hit the garage door!

If the car is unlocked, may be related to a condensation issue in the tailgate finger switch. Would be interesting to see how often it happens with a locked car and fob outside of range.

abbott 01-01-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadgix (Post 7281196)
I read a review on these that if you don't have comfort access, the keyholder will prevent the key from being fully inserted into the ignition.

Not my experience. I have the BMW accessory key fob holder and it works perfectly with my 2011 E70 without comfort access. I recommend it if you don't like keychains, especially scratching your ignition area. Saves on accidental button presses too.

henrycyao 01-01-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

If you want to eliminate key as a problem, just move the key further away and see if that still happen.

BMWfanatic87 01-06-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckGr (Post 6995958)

That's what we have for our X5.

BMWfanatic87 01-06-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebadgix (Post 7281196)

Ours fit just fine. No issues. We insert them on long drives to charge the batteries.

MRV99 01-06-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 (Post 7293221)
Ours fit just fine. No issues. We insert them on long drives to charge the batteries.

If you have comfort access, what you are doing is a waste of time. Comfort Access does not have chargeable batteries and will not charge in the ignition. You have to change the batteries when they are low or when they run out.

BMWfanatic87 01-06-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRV99 (Post 7293518)
If you have comfort access, what you are doing is a waste of time. Comfort Access does not have chargeable batteries and will not charge in the ignition. You have to change the batteries when they are low or when they run out.

Than what's the purpose of the slot on comfort access equipped cars?

MRV99 01-06-2013 10:18 AM

I would assume it is cheaper to have a single design/interior piece and not two. The new F10 does not have a key slot at all so you get keyless start yet have to pay for remoteless entry. If you look at page 35-37 in your manual, you will find out all the items that are part of the Comfort Access system as well as how to change the non-chargeable battery in your key fob(37). Atleast that is what I have had to do on my last 5 cars with CA(07, 11, 12 x5 and 545 and 550)

BR328 01-06-2013 11:18 AM

I walk to my car in the morning, raining. I say "what the heck" the windows are all partly open. My wife starts blaming for not closing them the previous night, I'm losing my memory, you need to be more careful, etc... So I'm like no way but the evidence is solid against me. But then I get to thinking, it's been raining all night but the is only a little bit of water in the X5. I figure there is no way the windows have been open all night. It happened fairly recently. So, i'm thinking maybe it's a electronic glitch maybe from the rain...which I use as my defense. Then I think some more, I notice that all the windows are open but not at the same height. I remember this pattern..if you hold the open button on the remote it triggers the open all windows in a similar manner. Tada...I did something I never do that morning, I put the key in my pocket earlier in the morning sat down for breakfast and hence mystery solved....

ndabunka 01-06-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

I HAVE heard of quircky electrical issues like this occurring on flood-damaged cars where the electricals were submerged and shorted out connections but never on a new car.

Take it to the dealership and let them figure it out. if they can't correct it, get them to lemon it and start over. Never heard of this on ANY other BMW...ever. This is assuming that you bought it new, right?

ndabunka 01-06-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 (Post 7293531)
Then [corrected] what's the purpose of the slot on comfort access equipped cars?

I guess the simplest solution is always the most logical. It's there in ALL the cars. I believe that technicians also have to use it for certain BMW programming functions. You can also use it to check things like status of oil change or inspection details in the iDrive rather than (used correctly) charging it...

ard 01-06-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndabunka (Post 7294680)
I HAVE heard of quircky electrical issues like this occurring on flood-damaged cars where the electricals were submerged and shorted out connections but never on a new car.

Take it to the dealership and let them figure it out. if they can't correct it, get them to lemon it and start over. Never heard of this on ANY other BMW...ever. This is assuming that you bought it new, right?

There is a rich history of comfort access cars having opened windows and panos.... and there are what, 3, 4, 5 people in this thread that have reported this. So it has happended in multiple BMWs. :dunno:

You've GOT to be pulling my chain on the 'take it to the dealer' and 'lemon', right?

You could take this to the dealer 20 times for this and your NEVER get a lemon- as long as it never happened at the dealer, there will be no "defect" in the record to file a lemon!

I was the first person to report the arrival of a 2012 diesel in Oct 2012- I can assure you it isnt a flood car:thumbup:

ndabunka 01-06-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7294934)
There is a rich history of comfort access cars having opened windows and panos.... and there are what, 3, 4, 5 people in this thread that have reported this. So it has happended in multiple BMWs. :dunno:

You've GOT to be pulling my chain on the 'take it to the dealer' and 'lemon', right?

You could take this to the dealer 20 times for this and your NEVER get a lemon- as long as it never happened at the dealer, there will be no "defect" in the record to file a lemon!

I was the first person to report the arrival of a 2012 diesel in Oct 2012- I can assure you it isnt a flood car:thumbup:

Ard - Thanks for the clarification but my reply (potential flood) was intended to be directed to the OP rather than you (my mistake). If the issue can be documented then it 'could' be lemoned but as you say, that may be a long road. As you have seen in this thread some of those experiencing the effects have recognized (in this thread) that it may have simply been their error (sitting on keys @ breakfast) but as you point out, it may be something else in other cases. One interesting aspect could be programmed keys in a wife's pocketbook, right? I've not had the experience in either of my comfort access enabled vehicles but it does sound like some are having an issue. Wishing you guys luck in getting this one worked out

Marwan 01-07-2013 08:44 AM

As stated above, the issue of unexplained opening of windows, sunroofs, rear hatches etc. has been reported and discussed many times. It appears to happen mostly with cars that have comfort access and as far as I can remember, no one has really come up with a credible explanation. Some have suggested that excess water (heavy rain etc) might cause it... I don't know if I believe that. I had comfort access on my 2010 X5d and never had that issue. Just a couple of months ago, I parked my 2012 X5d (with comfort access), went inside for about 30 minutes and came out to find all 4 windows and the sunroof open! I'm 100% sure I did not leave them open. I never leave the car with a single window open, let alone all 4 and the sunroof... It was a sunny day with not a single cloud in the sky. The keyfob was in my pocket but that's where I've always kept it... Go figure!