Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Upgrading from my e46 touring to an M3 coupe? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636016)

TechieTechie 07-29-2012 10:26 AM

Upgrading from my e46 touring to an M3 coupe?

I'm in a pickle. I searched for more than 4 months to find my California e46 manual touring and thought that I was all set....that was until I took my z4 to my first day of driving school yesterday.

I want to start doing x-cross and track regularly...and I would have to upgrade so much to make the touring track/x-cross worthy (steering rack, short shift kit, etc) that now I am strongly considering selling the touring and upgrading to an M3 manual coupe. I bought the touring because I am a cyclist and like the idea of throwing my bike in the back of the car...but I took a close look at an e46 coupe yesterday and I think my bike will fit easily (for some reason I thought the e46 M3 didn't have fold down rear seats). And, the rear seat access isn't as bad as my old Integra (I am single, so I am mostly a solo or solo+passenger situation).

Has anyone done this (or similar) and regretted their choice?

bdejong11129 08-02-2012 12:29 PM

I think I would prefer to use a roof rack instead of throwing a bike on the nice seat leather. Is a roof rack not an option?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App

Chris90 08-08-2012 01:40 PM

What school will let you track the Z4 without a rollbar? Or was this autoX?

Can you get a bike through the trunk opening of an M3? That would seem difficult in my E46 sedan.

Pinecone 08-09-2012 10:05 AM

A lot of non-BMW events will let you run with factory roll protection.

Chris90 08-09-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone (Post 7000181)
A lot of non-BMW events will let you run with factory roll protection.

Ok, I did several non-BMW events and don't remember seeing any, but wasn't really paying attention.

I did an EMRA event - they solo'd you after 1 lap, and you could pass on the right or left. Bunch of cowboys. :D

TechieTechie 08-09-2012 05:05 PM

@BD...fold down rear seats are the best thing evah! No need to dig up the leather. I prefer to store my bike in the car....as I had a catastrophic roof rack failure in college...lost 2 bikes that way!

@Chris...I did autoX events at Devens and NHMS. Have 1st track event at Mid-Ohio next month....and don't want to ruin my z4 with a roll cage.

Thought I found a great e46 M3 and was ready for PPI today..until seller decided that he didn't want to sell after all :cry:

Chris90 08-09-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieTechie (Post 7001048)
@BD...fold down rear seats are the best thing evah! No need to dig up the leather. I prefer to store my bike in the car....as I had a catastrophic roof rack failure in college...lost 2 bikes that way!

@Chris...I did autoX events at Devens and NHMS. Have 1st track event at Mid-Ohio next month....and don't want to ruin my z4 with a roll cage.

Thought I found a great e46 M3 and was ready for PPI today..until seller decided that he didn't want to sell after all :cry:

You have to try the Canadian tracks, Mosport (10 hours away) and Mont Tremblant (5-6 hours away). Especially Tremblant, incredible track. I'm sure Mid Ohio is great but that's gotta be a long drive.

TechieTechie 08-09-2012 07:36 PM

I grew up in the town next to Mid Ohio...spent some of my HS summers manning the concession stands....so I figured it's only fitting that it's my first track course. Thanks for the reinforcement about Tremblant...heard that's an incredible track. Too bad I couldn't combine a track weekend with a ski weekend. Now THAT would be worth the drive to Tremblant!!! :thumbup:

PS...love the sig quote!