Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   transmission sleeve (megatronic sleeve) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636643)

rh71 08-01-2012 10:44 AM

transmission sleeve (megatronic sleeve)
 
Anyone know how big a job it is for replacing this megatronic sleeve on an X5 specifically? They're saying it's leaking. I've seen posts about it in the 5-series forum and people there are saying it's simple to get to, so it's simple to change. Does the transmission need to be dropped in the X5's case? Any other complications etc.?

Also have a valve cover gasket that is leaking... is that also a simple job?

By simple I mean like a 1hr job on the clock.

suthtow 08-02-2012 05:53 PM

You need to drop the pan to replace the sleeve. Need to be extremely careful. Valve cover not to bad depending on what engine you have.

Sent from my C771 using Bimmer App

rh71 08-03-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suthtow (Post 6987417)
You need to drop the pan to replace the sleeve. Need to be extremely careful.

since you put it that way - do you suppose an independent garage who works on BMWs would be able to handle it? Is it a common job? Or should I stick with the dealer (despite their claim of long hours)?

suthtow 08-03-2012 04:48 PM

Go with a good Indy. You will get the same if not better service at a cheaper price.

Sent from my C771 using Bimmer App

TexasBMW 12-08-2014 05:24 PM

I think I was just diagnosed with the same problem. Dealer list price is: $1094 for the sleeve work and $641 for the Oil Vac Pump...

X5ist 12-08-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBMW (Post 8757732)
I think I was just diagnosed with the same problem. Dealer list price is: $1094 for the sleeve work and $641 for the Oil Vac Pump...

I did both myself, mechatronic sleeve and vacuum pump seal. The sleeve you need some time, maybe 2-3 hours, that's me. I did replace the transmission pan that includes the filter too. I flushed the fluid too. The parts you can order from Turner Motorsports. The oil about $22 per quart, I ordered 12 quarts, the pan $130 and the sleeve $22. Make a search on how to replace the mechatronic sleeve, you will find a bunch.

For the vacuum pump, if you go to the dealer they will replaced the whole pump, but you can just replace gaskets cost $22.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ump-seals.html
Very easy task. Hope all these will help.

Shiva 12-09-2014 09:36 AM

Valve cover gasket replacement on an in-line 6 cylinder engine is fairly an easy task. Only challenge is access to the bolts in the back-end of the cover. There are couple of video's on youtube.

TexasBMW 12-09-2014 02:33 PM

That's a huge help. That link goes directly to just the X5 forums. Is there a better link out there?
How long will that gasket take to replace?
Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by X5ist (Post 8757873)
I did both myself, mechatronic sleeve and vacuum pump seal. The sleeve you need some time, maybe 2-3 hours, that's me. I did replace the transmission pan that includes the filter too. I flushed the fluid too. The parts you can order from Turner Motorsports. The oil about $22 per quart, I ordered 12 quarts, the pan $130 and the sleeve $22. Make a search on how to replace the mechatronic sleeve, you will find a bunch.

For the vacuum pump, if you go to the dealer they will replaced the whole pump, but you can just replace gaskets cost $22.
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...ump-seals.html
Very easy task. Hope all these will help.


X5ist 12-09-2014 03:26 PM

Gaskets 30mins to 1 hr


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms