Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Interested in your opinion on what's reasonable here... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636709)

DANSPANK 08-01-2012 03:19 PM

Interested in your opinion on what's reasonable here...
 
Hi Gang,

Iím the owner of the 2011 BMW X5 SAV. A couple of months ago the sunroof wind deflector support cracked - I booked time at BMW Nashville and my car went in for the repair. At the end of the day I was called and told that the required part was not in stock and it would be ordered so I picked my car up. No problem.

I was not called back about the part. No big deal.

A couple of months later I reached the 15k mile service notification so again booked my car in and asked if the sunroof part was in. Apparently it was so I took my car in on Friday June 20th. At the end of the day I was called and told that the car was not going to be ready and so a loaner would be made available Ė a BMW 328. Since then Iíve either been called or, more frequently, Iíve had to call BMW Nashville every day to get an update and have been told that the car may be ready by the end of the day but to wait for a call confirming that. Iíve never been called and told that itís finished.

And I believe Iíve had every excuse now: On Thursday last week I was told that the mechanic working on the car had injured his back and could not work on the car. No other mechanic could work on the car as they wouldnít know how much progress had been made. I was apologised to and advised that the car would be detailed and delivered back to me as soon as it was completed on Friday. I called on the Friday and was advised that the mechanic didnít show up for work so the car wasnít fixed, and then it was the weekendÖ

On Monday I left a message asking about the state of the car. I was called back on Tuesday, yesterday, with no excuses just that the car might be ready but that I shouldnít turn up until Iíve heard confirmation. I didnít get a confirmation call. No oneís called me today so I called and left a message. Iím going to assume that the car isnít ready but, again, no oneís called me back.

Itís been 13 days now. I think we exceeded whatís reasonable after three working days. After 5 working days BMW offered to detail and deliver the car. A detail would be required anyway as no doubt the mechanic has needed to step all over the interior and exterior of the car, so thatís not really much of a offer in my opinion.

Yesterday I suggested that they replace a front tyre with a Bridgestone RFT (no spare) as a fair level of compensation but was turned down.

I'm not out to be a whiner - I really just want my car back but the extremely casual approach and poor level of information is very aggravating.

In Nashville there is only 1 BMW dealer so I don't have the option to go elsewhere. And to add to the story I needed a dashboard module to be replaced back in November last year and much of the same happened - for the most part I had to call for updates and was told, almost daily, that the car would be ready but not to show up until I had confirmation. That repair took 12 days.

So I'm approaching a month where I've had a 1series and 3 series loaners but have been paying for an X5 SAV.

So, in your opinion, what's reasonable here?

Thanks for your feedback,

Daniel.

Nonsuch 08-01-2012 03:41 PM

You might want to research lemon laws in your state. Create a detailed log of days out of service. This might allow you to apply some pressure on the service department.

sunny5280 08-01-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANSPANK (Post 6985254)
Hi Gang,

Iím the owner of the 2011 BMW X5 SAV. A couple of months ago the sunroof wind deflector support cracked - I booked time at BMW Nashville and my car went in for the repair. At the end of the day I was called and told that the required part was not in stock and it would be ordered so I picked my car up. No problem.

I was not called back about the part. No big deal.

A couple of months later I reached the 15k mile service notification so again booked my car in and asked if the sunroof part was in. Apparently it was so I took my car in on Friday June 20th. At the end of the day I was called and told that the car was not going to be ready and so a loaner would be made available Ė a BMW 328. Since then Iíve either been called or, more frequently, Iíve had to call BMW Nashville every day to get an update and have been told that the car may be ready by the end of the day but to wait for a call confirming that. Iíve never been called and told that itís finished.

And I believe Iíve had every excuse now: On Thursday last week I was told that the mechanic working on the car had injured his back and could not work on the car. No other mechanic could work on the car as they wouldnít know how much progress had been made. I was apologised to and advised that the car would be detailed and delivered back to me as soon as it was completed on Friday. I called on the Friday and was advised that the mechanic didnít show up for work so the car wasnít fixed, and then it was the weekendÖ

On Monday I left a message asking about the state of the car. I was called back on Tuesday, yesterday, with no excuses just that the car might be ready but that I shouldnít turn up until Iíve heard confirmation. I didnít get a confirmation call. No oneís called me today so I called and left a message. Iím going to assume that the car isnít ready but, again, no oneís called me back.

Itís been 13 days now. I think we exceeded whatís reasonable after three working days. After 5 working days BMW offered to detail and deliver the car. A detail would be required anyway as no doubt the mechanic has needed to step all over the interior and exterior of the car, so thatís not really much of a offer in my opinion.

Yesterday I suggested that they replace a front tyre with a Bridgestone RFT (no spare) as a fair level of compensation but was turned down.

I'm not out to be a whiner - I really just want my car back but the extremely casual approach and poor level of information is very aggravating.

In Nashville there is only 1 BMW dealer so I don't have the option to go elsewhere. And to add to the story I needed a dashboard module to be replaced back in November last year and much of the same happened - for the most part I had to call for updates and was told, almost daily, that the car would be ready but not to show up until I had confirmation. That repair took 12 days.

So I'm approaching a month where I've had a 1series and 3 series loaners but have been paying for an X5 SAV.

So, in your opinion, what's reasonable here?

I would start asking to speak to a supervisor working my way up the chain.

1HOT BMR 08-01-2012 11:25 PM

Write a letter directly to the owner, not the supervisor, not the manager but the owner. It has always worked for me.:thumbup:

strongarm73 08-02-2012 09:11 AM

Ask for a loaner that is equivalent to your X5, might be too late, as it sounds like you're about to get it back though. Get the full detail done and delivery. Terrible dealer experience, I agree, they should have given you an equivalent loaner from the start, or at least swapped you at day 3 or so with an equivalent.

That being said, a couple of weeks with a new loaner is not too bad; if you want an additional comp, try looking for something a bit less expensive and with less demand than a new Bridgestone, maybe all weather floor mats or shop credit for a future purchase or something?

ard 08-02-2012 09:17 AM

"full detail"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I won't let a dealer wash my car. just look at all the swirls on their loaner fleet-

kanar200 08-02-2012 10:37 AM

just picked up my car from the dealer - I asked for "NO wash", SA put that into work order... what they did - they washed the car... and they were very happy about that because "the car was very dirty" and "they have mega carwashmashine for $Xk which washed very expensive cars"

do I demand too much? I believe crappy service is part of BMW culture

1HOT BMR 08-02-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanar200 (Post 6986883)
just picked up my car from the dealer - I asked for "NO wash", SA put that into work order... what they did - they washed the car... and they were very happy about that because "the car was very dirty" and "they have mega carwashmashine for $Xk which washed very expensive cars"

do I demand too much? I believe crappy service is part of BMW culture

It's not just BMW, it's just about every dealer. If there is room for a f**up they manage to find it. :thumbdwn:

strongarm73 08-02-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR (Post 6986934)
It's not just BMW, it's just about every dealer. If there is room for a f**up they manage to find it. :thumbdwn:

This.

It's all relative; and compared to what most of my acquaintances/friends have to go through with their (non-BMW) dealerships, a bad day with my BMW dealership is a day at the beach.

DANSPANK 08-02-2012 07:22 PM

Well good news! I got my car back today along with a new tyre and a pretty good detail with a glass-like finish. Not sure if it was my email to the listed general manager and service director or maybe even the service advisor putting pressure on since she was on my side.

Two weeks is a long time for a repair to be made and I was disappointed during that time but it's passed now and I got a tyre for my troubles so all good.

Thanks for all of the input!

Daniel.

the kidd 08-05-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANSPANK (Post 6987682)
Well good news! I got my car back today along with a new tyre and a pretty good detail with a glass-like finish. Not sure if it was my email to the listed general manager and service director or maybe even the service advisor putting pressure on since she was on my side.

Two weeks is a long time for a repair to be made and I was disappointed during that time but it's passed now and I got a tyre for my troubles so all good.

Thanks for all of the input!

Daniel.

I would like to know how that "glass finish" is looking in a few months after the glaze is worn off. This is why I just picked up a Porter Cable and an array of LCC pads. The last time I had one of my vehicles serviced, it was washed and not dried and left out in the sun with tons of water spots that had to be clay barred. This is after I requested a no wash. You got the tire, though, which is good. Hope the detail is and will remain swirl free for as long as possible. I am starting to get a "disorder" as my wife puts it, when it comes to cleaning the vehicles:thumbup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms