Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Need opinions, how much would you pay for this M5? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638348)

DinanBimmer 08-09-2012 01:04 PM

Need opinions, how much would you pay for this M5?

My brother recently totaled his E39 540i and is looking to upgrade to a E39 M5. The M5 in question is a 2001 with nearly 51,000 miles. Would you guys say that $21900 is a fair price? I believe my brother is taking it to a nearby dealership to have an inspection done, so he'll hopefully know of any problems on the horizon. He tells me that full records are included which is a plus.

ard 08-11-2012 12:22 AM

what are they inspecting??????

Local to you? I can recommend a dealer/tech via PM in sacto.

There is no such thing as 'a standard BMW PPI;.. lots to be missed.

Price is high for a 2001 but miles are very low. DO keep in mind that "BMW maintenance" is pretty minimal.

You want to see brake flushes, coolant flushes, tranny and rear diff fluid changes. Like all you will see is oil changes and maybe on brake flush when under warranty. If it really does have 'full maintenance', it will be a rare bird (and maybe worht some premium)

A

DinanBimmer 08-12-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7003763)
what are they inspecting??????

Local to you? I can recommend a dealer/tech via PM in sacto.

There is no such thing as 'a standard BMW PPI;.. lots to be missed.

Price is high for a 2001 but miles are very low. DO keep in mind that "BMW maintenance" is pretty minimal.

You want to see brake flushes, coolant flushes, tranny and rear diff fluid changes. Like all you will see is oil changes and maybe on brake flush when under warranty. If it really does have 'full maintenance', it will be a rare bird (and maybe worht some premium)

A

Thanks for the tips, the car is local to my brother in san francisco. Not sure what he's having inspected. I'll pass this info along to him.

ard 08-25-2012 05:23 PM

Sacramento? my neck of the woods, sort of. Valley motor werks local is a good M5 shop

m5board dot com for all things m5. e39 subforum

A

Edgy36-39 08-26-2012 08:13 PM

If he's buying from a dealer, they can run a VIN printout and show all work done at BMW facilities. He should ask to see it, not just maintenance records.

Can your brother DIY? Doing the little things really help on these cars, as you probably know.

Suggest he check the For Sale section on M5Board to get a feel for pricing. IMHO its worth paying a bit more for good maintenance.

DinanBimmer 08-26-2012 10:48 PM

The buyer ended up backing out of the deal at the last minute for no particular reason. My brother's not much of a DIY'er. I usually do simple things to his car if he needs me too. It's a shame he couldn't experience the e39 M5 for himself, he's already committed to a newer bmw that I hope to test drive :bigpimp: