Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Travel Forum (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Racial Profiling Rife at Airport, U.S. Officers Say (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638856)

JSpira 08-12-2012 08:37 AM

Racial Profiling Rife at Airport, U.S. Officers Say

Racial Profiling Rife at Airport, U.S. Officers Say

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT and ERIC LICHTBLAU

Quote:

Officers from a Transportation Security Administration program in Boston say passengers who fit certain profiles are much more likely to be stopped, searched and questioned for “suspicious” behavior.

In interviews and internal complaints, officers from the Transportation Security Administration’s “behavior detection” program at Logan International Airport in Boston asserted that passengers who fit certain profiles — Hispanics traveling to Miami, for instance, or blacks wearing baseball caps backward — are much more likely to be stopped, searched and questioned for “suspicious” behavior.

“They just pull aside anyone who they don’t like the way they look — if they are black and have expensive clothes or jewelry, or if they are Hispanic,” said one white officer, who along with four others spoke with The New York Times on the condition of anonymity.

Article continues here

Me530 08-17-2012 10:45 AM

I say they should profile everybody in whatever way they want if it will protect our safety better than today's security theater. I think the Israeli airlines have been doing that for years and they have a pretty good safety record.

Gluhwein 08-18-2012 06:39 AM

With you 100% Me530. If drivers of red cars are more prone to speed, that's the cars cops should be watching more closely. If pit bulls and Rotties tend to attack people more often than other breeds then insurance companies factor that into your premium. Life is all about playing the percentages or odds.

cwsqbm 08-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 7018186)
With you 100% Me530. If drivers of red cars are more prone to speed, that's the cars cops should be watching more closely. If pit bulls and Rotties tend to attack people more often than other breeds then insurance companies factor that into your premium. Life is all about playing the percentages or odds.

The problem with profiling, as illustrated in this case, is when profiling is done unscientifically. Blacks with backwards baseball caps and Hispanics traveling to Miami are no more likely to hijack a plane than the average white male.

Also, on the street, stopping people based on racial profiling can lead to a violation of civil rights.

Kamdog 08-18-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 7018599)
The problem with profiling, as illustrated in this case, is when profiling is done unscientifically. Blacks with backwards baseball caps and Hispanics traveling to Miami are no more likely to hijack a plane than the average white male.

Also, on the street, stopping people based on racial profiling can lead to a violation of civil rights.

I would make a different argument.

If profiling is used, as described above, then there is a greater chance that a bad actor can change the profile and have a better chance at getting through. They profile black guys with backwards hats wearing expensive clothes? OK, if I am a black guy trying to get past security, I just wear a pair of everyday jeans and a plain shirt, and no hat.

And the Israelis don't really profile, they interrogate practically everyone. If you are flying into Israel, be prepared for an in-depth interview. That is not profiling.

Me530 08-20-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwsqbm (Post 7018599)

Yes but we are talking about the airport, where our rights are already violated time and time again.

Me530 08-20-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamdog (Post 7018615)
And the Israelis don't really profile, they interrogate practically everyone. If you are flying into Israel, be prepared for an in-depth interview. That is not profiling.

I think they still use behind the scenes profiling. It's just not openly debated or acknowledged. As you mentioned, on top of that they do the interview, which I also support.

Kamdog 08-20-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me530 (Post 7023710)
I think they still use behind the scenes profiling. It's just not openly debated or acknowledged. As you mentioned, on top of that they do the interview, which I also support.

I support it for them. Not for us. Too expensive, too many travelers, not enough highly qualified interrogators. Israel is the size of New Jersey, I don't their methods scale up.

Andrew*Debbie 08-21-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamdog (Post 7018615)
OK, if I am a black guy trying to get past security, I just wear a pair of everyday jeans and a plain shirt, and no hat.

Or a conservative suite and tie + round trip business class tickets.

The problem with profiling is that organised groups can use it to reduce the chance of being searched.