Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 M5 (1998-2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   e39 M5 stalls out (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639361)

Magnetar 08-14-2012 05:18 PM

e39 M5 stalls out

I'm hoping somebody else had this problem and was able to find the solution. I have a 2000 bmw m5. About a week ago, I started up my car and it was idling rough and when I started to drive it, it was somewhat under powered and running rough; I could hear it in the exhaust as well. Then, after a few minutes of driving the car ran fine. This happened again today while driving it. In the evening, when I pulled out of my parking lot, the car felt like it wasn't getting gas, like it was about to stall, and when I gave it gas there was no power and it stalled out after a few seconds. Now, every time I start it it idles rough, like it isn't getting gas, and then stalls out. When I press on the gas it stalls out immediately. The CEL wasn't on and still isn't on. Any one have a clue?

ard 08-24-2012 04:56 PM

Was the exhaust note "blatty"? Classic exhaust CPS.

Or fuel issue...fuel filter? When was it last replaced? Could also be a fuel pump dying...

m5board.com

Magnetar 08-29-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7032760)
Was the exhaust note "blatty"? Classic exhaust CPS.

Or fuel issue...fuel filter? When was it last replaced? Could also be a fuel pump dying...

m5board.com

I had the fuel filter replaced and it ran great again... for 4 days, and then the same symptoms started again, except it didn't ever stall out. The exhaust note was "blatty". I came to the conclusion after doing some research that it was the exhaust CPS but when I took it to the shop they told me it was the intake CPS. I told them to replace all 4 CPS... they charged me $1036. seems kind of steep.

Thanks for the reply.

ard 08-31-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnetar (Post 7042491)
I had the fuel filter replaced and it ran great again... for 4 days, and then the same symptoms started again, except it didn't ever stall out. The exhaust note was "blatty". I came to the conclusion after doing some research that it was the exhaust CPS but when I took it to the shop they told me it was the intake CPS. I told them to replace all 4 CPS... they charged me $1036. seems kind of steep.

Thanks for the reply.

wow. dry anal rape.

did you ask what they would charge before they did the work? sensors are $300 retail, 4 hrs total is very generous.

///fast5 09-29-2012 09:55 PM

I had the same problem due to milage mine is around 105k mile replaced the cats with 200 cel high performance magna flows and now my car sound better and runs so smooth.

ard 09-30-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ///fast5 (Post 7104668)
I had the same problem due to milage mine is around 105k mile replaced the cats with 200 cel high performance magna flows and now my car sound better and runs so smooth.

Nonsense.

'due to mileage' is not a reason.

And the magnaflo "high performance" cats are just cheap thin walled converters that will not touch OE in terms of longevity or performance...

///fast5 10-01-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7106120)
Nonsense.

And the magnaflo "high performance" cats are just cheap thin walled converters that will not tough OE in terms of longevity or performance...

its in expensive thats correct. as performance wise i am so happy with mine and it solved my problem. im not suggesting any products its people personal choice but i suggest to get cats being tested for engine stall problem.

///fast5 10-01-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 7106120)
Nonsense.

And the magnaflo "high performance" cats are just cheap thin walled converters that will not tough OE in terms of longevity or performance...

its in expensive thats correct. as performance wise i am so happy with mine and it solved my problem. im not suggesting any products its people personal choice but i suggest to get cats being tested for back pressure.