Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   09 BMW Z4 3.0i - Transmission Shifting (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641334)

RufusKing 08-23-2012 06:10 AM

09 BMW Z4 3.0i - Transmission Shifting

I bought my Z as a CPO with remaining Factory Warranty. When i have the Z in Sport mode man does it shift hard. I have the automatic transmission. Is that a normal characteristic of the car or is there likely something wrong. Honestly it feels like the double clutched version of the M3 but dont have a double clutch in mine obviously. There is little to no time between gears and it jsut rockets away. (Sometimes it feels like it is leaving me sitting on the pavement and the car is going on without me) I upgraded E85 to the E89 and there is a huge dfference. What do you guys think? Does your shift as hard a mine?

One more thing, it doesnt happen so much when i am under full throttle. It happens more when I am under half throttle or less.

thanks for the insight.

Also do we have any how to documents on various procedures like the E85 board has listed in their sticky section? If not we should really think about starting one. This car is coming up on the point where we are likely to start tinkering with it a bit more for tuning purposes or cosmetic upgrades such as wind deflector installations etc.

645/333 08-23-2012 11:45 AM

Hi! in sports mode it does shift a lot harder subject to the throttle which has a quicker response window, sometimes it can catch you out in queueing traffic,
As for working on the car, well you cannot do the rear brakes or discs as you need to be able to code the release of the electronic parking brake....only time will tell if people get smarter at doing things.....

RufusKing 08-23-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7030135)
you cannot do the rear brakes or discs as you need to be able to code the release of the electronic parking brake..,

So are you saying that it automatically engages and you cannot undo that while the car is off? That would seem odd. Maybe will ahve to go lay now to see what is up with that unit.

645/333 08-23-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RufusKing (Post 7030239)
So are you saying that it automatically engages and you cannot undo that while the car is off? That would seem odd. Maybe will ahve to go lay now to see what is up with that unit.

Yes ! even with the car off ? you have to release the parking brake with a special code, then recode when you have replaced the pads/disc, this tells the controller that new pads have been fitted hence how far to move the piston.......

RufusKing 08-23-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 645/333 (Post 7030349)
Yes ! even with the car off ? you have to release the parking brake with a special code, then recode when you have replaced the pads/disc, this tells the controller that new pads have been fitted hence how far to move the piston.......

oh my that is genius!!!