Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F12 / F13 (2012 - Current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Octane Boosters (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641436)

babyboss 08-23-2012 03:05 PM

Octane Boosters

any 1 using these additives in petrol / diesel form in your cars ??
Any Results / Differences/ Damages ?

roadsta 08-25-2012 05:49 PM

No. There is no need and no purpose to the snake oil that some people try to sell. There is just risk, cost and no benefit.

Octane ratings has nothing to do with the enerrgy contained in the fuel. The wikipedia article is well written. Here is a key sentence:

"Octane ratings are not indicators of the energy content of fuels. It is only a measure of the fuel's tendency to burn in a controlled manner, rather than exploding in an uncontrolled manner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

SAMLAMBO 08-25-2012 07:28 PM

I'm using Liqui Moly octane + and am addicted to it

babyboss 09-24-2012 01:18 PM

if only we could get 98 ron everywhere cos most cars need it 2day ..

NoI4plz 09-24-2012 04:36 PM

Use at your own expense. Octane boosters are really not gonna pull extra hp, might even decrease it, and ruin something in the process. Last I read, bmwusa doesn't approve of any boosters, and as others I kind believe putting octane boosters, is like putting a Lamborghini aventador badge on the front of the car and saying it gained 500 extra hp.

Btw, if you need more power gains, try Dinan or some reputable tuning company, otherwise enjoy your sweet ride!

SAMLAMBO 09-24-2012 06:28 PM

Recently I have been having a lot of surging/misfiring issues so I stopped using the octane booster and all went back to normal. Had spark plugs checked and they were fouled because of the octane booster i was using. Was fine initially but I guess the build up started causing these misfiring issues. Car runs perfect now. No more octane boosters for me.

vegadonovan 10-04-2012 03:56 PM

I used to add octane booster for my previous 5. After hearing some comments here, i guess i won't spend on it anymore and risk my 6.

All in the hope of getting some gains out of usual petrol =)

SAMLAMBO 10-04-2012 08:06 PM

So I thought maybe I'd try my luck again. Poured in a bottle of liquid moly ocatane + again with a full tank and guess what, all the bloody misfiring, surging started. No more of this crap.

babyboss 10-05-2012 12:52 AM

put NF sport ultra 6 ron in my Audi to try & not long after funny noises started !!
when i put Wynns 3ron no problem ****

roadsta 10-05-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMLAMBO (Post 7114619)
So I thought maybe I'd try my luck again. Poured in a bottle of liquid moly ocatane + again with a full tank and guess what, all the bloody misfiring, surging started. No more of this crap.

Here is something for you to ponder: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Read my post at the top again. You guys are suckers for the snake oil salesmen....

R.

Bönz 10-05-2012 06:54 AM

roadsta is absolutly correct. Do not put any of this crap in your tank. Modern fuels don't need any help and even if there was a way to increase octane, our engines are tuned for max performance at the rated octane. The computer will not crank up the boost nor advance the spark to take advantage of the higher octane.

These engines (sixes and eights) have direct injection. This is a senstive, high pressure fuel delivery system with VERY expensive injectors the squirt atomized fuel directly into the combustion chamber nearly 60 times per second at redline. Anything that changes the fuel's chemistry, viscosity or simply isn't gasoline suspended in solution is a recipie for disaster. Check out the old test from 5th Gear below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3j0g88kXs

SAMLAMBO 10-05-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bönz (Post 7115233)
roadsta is absolutly correct. Do not put any of this crap in your tank. Modern fuels don't need any help and even if there was a way to increase octane, our engines are tuned for max performance at the rated octane. The computer will not crank up the boost nor advance the spark to take advantage of the higher octane.

These engines (sixes and eights) have direct injection. This is a senstive, high pressure fuel delivery system with VERY expensive injectors the squirt atomized fuel directly into the combustion chamber nearly 60 times per second at redline. Anything that changes the fuel's chemistry, viscosity or simply isn't gasoline suspended in solution is a recipie for disaster. Check out the old test from 5th Gear below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG3j0g88kXs

thanks for the video, so much for this rubbish octane boosters.

roadsta 10-05-2012 03:29 PM

Good video, thanks for the link Bonz.

There we have it. Spend money, get less. (And take the risk that this gunk actually do damage to highly advanced engine systems.)

R.

babyboss 10-11-2012 01:57 PM

Eish .. no words ..

SAMLAMBO 10-11-2012 07:51 PM

Well guess what guys, after I upgraded my ecu piggyback with a closed loop system, the misfiring disappeared.

babyboss 10-11-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMLAMBO (Post 7128612)
Well guess what guys, after I upgraded my ecu piggyback with a closed loop system, the misfiring disappeared.

what is "closed loop system" ?

SAMLAMBO 10-12-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyboss (Post 7128923)
what is "closed loop system" ?

Closed loop is basically where the piggyback relies on feedback from the factory ecu/dme and hence adapts accordingly.