Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Order placed, but left the dealership with no production number (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641820)

seariver 08-25-2012 07:55 PM

Order placed, but left the dealership with no production number

It's my first time to buy a new car.
After long time discussion on the price, I went to one BMW dealership today to place the order.

It seemed all things went well at the beginning with my CA.
I signed the printed configuration paper, with the MSPR on it, and the discount price dealer gave me.

Then, the dealer gave me the OTD price sheet, about all the items regarding the discount price, the tax, plate/license fee, etc.

And I payed $1000 deposit by credit card.
Then he told me he would place the order with his manager and would give me another paper to sign. I guess it is a printed paper from BMW ordering system.

After a while, he told me I was all set for today. No additional document signed.
He will call me about the production status.

I'm so confused. Did the order really placed? My CA didn't give me the production number.

Is there something strange?

irianjim 08-25-2012 08:06 PM

I think you are fine. This is the way it worked for me for my purchase for a European Delivery next month. I think they have to enter the order and then the production number comes back from BMW. It took me a bit of time to get mine back......good luck.

justinnum1 08-25-2012 08:07 PM

Yea, Manger should just have changed a current allocated car to your preferences and given you the production number.

Arciga18 08-25-2012 08:08 PM

I see you're in illinois. what dealer?? From reading around here, they should have given you a production number. I say Monday morning call the CA on his cell phone and follow up.

Orient330iNYC 08-25-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irianjim (Post 7034501)
I think you are fine. This is the way it worked for me for my purchase for a European Delivery next month. I think they have to enter the order and then the production number comes back from BMW. It took me a bit of time to get mine back......good luck.

if the dealer has an allocation, they can give you the production number on the spot. no production number= no definite date of production.

seariver 08-25-2012 08:30 PM

Thank you all!
My CA told me I was on the right time today, because it's the last day they could modify one of their allocation. So I suppose I should have the production number.

VLing 08-25-2012 08:55 PM

If they changed an existing production allocation (that has a number) for your order; they could have printed a vehicle inquiry report from their DCS system. The report would have shown your configuration with a production number and an Order Status of "112 - Scheduled for Daily". The Priority would have change to "1 - Customer Sold". Otherwise, they might not have a current allocation and will have to wait for BMW to run another dealer allocation cycle. Not sure how often that happens. Good luck...

seariver 08-29-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VLing (Post 7034563)
If they changed an existing production allocation (that has a number) for your order; they could have printed a vehicle inquiry report from their DCS system. The report would have shown your configuration with a production number and an Order Status of "112 - Scheduled for Daily". The Priority would have change to "1 - Customer Sold". Otherwise, they might not have a current allocation and will have to wait for BMW to run another dealer allocation cycle. Not sure how often that happens. Good luck...

Thank you for the detail information!
Right now, I highly doubt my order has been placed yet.

I don't want to be too pushy, so I only sent a mail this Monday to my CA.
No response.
I called the office Tuesday, my CA is out of office. I sent a mail again.
I got the reply from my CA late today,
and he told me his manager is out of town, and will not return next Monday.
And his manager is the only person who can access these information.

But how did he knows he had two allocations and last Saturday is the last day they can modify them.
It's highly possible that's a trick to push us pay the deposit.

Any suggestions right now?

Impatient 08-29-2012 02:55 PM

I went through the paperwork via email for my order. I believe I got the production order number as part of the exchange that day & got my VIN 2 days later.

doc_maverick 08-29-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seariver (Post 7041861)

No response.

But how did he knows he had two allocations and last Saturday is the last day they can modify them.

I think you should be fine. I left the dealership without a definite production number. In my case it was way past the normal closing hours for the dealership on a Saturday, so getting the production number was going to be an issue anyways. After I read on these forums that most if not everyone received an order number by the time they left the dealership, I got a little antsy, but just emailed my CA and he got back to me with the production and VIN number within a week from placing the actual order. So don't worry....your order should be in . Just keep insisting for a production number at the earliest.

Congratulations on your new order !

enig44 08-29-2012 03:56 PM

I also placed an order last Saturday, called the CA and got the production # on Monday. Question - will the bmw site eventually show my VIN #? Or do I need to call for that?

My production status shows order processing and will be updated when build is scheduled. If it's an existing allocation would that mean that it already had a build date scheduled?

Cbinc 08-29-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seariver (Post 7034482)
It's my first time to buy a new car.
After long time discussion on the price, I went to one BMW dealership today to place the order.

It seemed all things went well at the beginning with my CA.
I signed the printed configuration paper, with the MSPR on it, and the discount price dealer gave me.

Then, the dealer gave me the OTD price sheet, about all the items regarding the discount price, the tax, plate/license fee, etc.

And I payed $1000 deposit by credit card.
Then he told me he would place the order with his manager and would give me another paper to sign. I guess it is a printed paper from BMW ordering system.

After a while, he told me I was all set for today. No additional document signed.
He will call me about the production status.

I'm so confused. Did the order really placed? My CA didn't give me the production number.

Is there something strange?

I wouldn't be concerned. I completed my transaction this morning around 11:30am and when I asked my dealer if I could have a production number he said he would have it to me by end of day. I followed up with him via email at around 5:30pm and within a few minutes he replied back to me with my production number.

Orient330iNYC 08-29-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enig44 (Post 7042000)
I also placed an order last Saturday, called the CA and got the production # on Monday. Question - will the bmw site eventually show my VIN #? Or do I need to call for that?

My production status shows order processing and will be updated when build is scheduled. If it's an existing allocation would that mean that it already had a build date scheduled?

your vin will show up once the car enters production--

seariver 08-29-2012 07:26 PM

I hope my oder went well.

But when I went to the dealership, my CA told me he would modify one in production slot. So I thought it's good that I can get my car a little bit earlier.
And after I payed the deposit, nothing happened. Maybe the dealership had to wait for another round allocation.

I'm even considering to cancel the order...

VLing 08-29-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

The BMWUSA.com website will not show your VIN. I got it from my CA. The BMW Dealer Communication System (DCS) will show the VIN. You might also be able to get the VIN by talking to the Customer Rep when you dial the 800 number.

VLing 08-29-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

No response.

It might be true that only the Sales Manager can access the DCS system and not the CA. But, you would think the Sales Manager would have an assistant Manager in his/her absence that could access the DCS system. Something smells. Is it a large BMW dealership?

VLing 08-29-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

I thinks an existing production allocation may have a production "week" assigned and not a firm date.

Orient330iNYC 08-29-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

No response.

unless things have changed, any sales person that can enter an order can run a vehicle inquiry on DCS/ centernet...so if what he says is true, your order has not been entered yet... this tells me they either do not yet have a production allocation, or are holding out to see if someone else will pay more for the ones they have...

its not the deposit persay, its taking you off the market-- you're "invested" with the dealer thus unlikely to continue shopping other dealers

seariver 08-29-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VLing (Post 7042599)
It might be true that only the Sales Manager can access the DCS system and not the CA. But, you would think the Sales Manager would have an assistant Manager in his/her absence that could access the DCS system. Something smells. Is it a large BMW dealership?

Yes. Their manager is out, and they cannot process any orders for the rest of this week. Sounds ridicules.

It's not a large dealership.

VLing 08-29-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC (Post 7042608)
unless things have changed, any sales person that can enter an order can run a vehicle inquiry on DCS/ centernet...so if what he says is true, your order has not been entered yet... this tells me they either do not yet have a production allocation, or are holding out to see if someone else will pay more for the ones they have...

its not the deposit persay, its taking you off the market-- you're "invested" with the dealer thus unlikely to continue shopping other dealers

Each BMW dealership has it's own process and who has access and who does not. Dealerships are independent business and my have different controls in place. Some dealers may only allow the Sale Managers to enter orders. That is why I asked the poster whether it is a small or large dealer. I work with dealers (including BMW) and have observe vast differences in the way a dealer franchise is run in the sales, parts and service operations.

Orient330iNYC 08-30-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VLing (Post 7042625)
Each BMW dealership has it's own process and who has access and who does not. Dealerships are independent business and my have different controls in place. Some dealers may only allow the Sale Managers to enter orders. That is why I asked the poster whether it is a small or large dealer. I work with dealers (including BMW) and have observe vast differences in the way a dealer franchise is run in the sales, parts and service operations.

i understand that. but if the dealer is saying that only the manager(who is on vacation) has access to place orders/access centernet... then his order hasn't been placed. never mind getting a production number. remember, they told him their allocations that were still changeable were only in that state till last Saturday.

seariver 08-31-2012 10:06 AM

I'm really frustrated. My CA didn't answer my question whether my order has been placed or not. (I asked him by mail two days ago).

I called the dealership, my CA is out. Another CA answered the call, he told me he checked the system, there is the order. (hope this CA has higher priority than my CA, because he can access the DCS system)
When I asked my production number, he asked his manager about it (hope the manager is not my CA's manager, who is supposed to be out of office until next Tuesday).
And still no production number, but it may be available next Tuesday after the holiday.

And I asked whether I can cancel my order. His manager said no, because it has passed some phases.
So the order is in BMW system but no production number???

I called BMW NA, the customer representative told me the only way to track the status is the production number.

I don't know what to do next. Another local dealer promise me an allocation slot he has, and if ordered, my car will be here in October.

shabadoo25 08-31-2012 11:00 AM

Another question is whether you ordered a 328 or a 335. Most dealerships have immediate allocations available for 328s. Many don't have ones for 335s for months. That's why many members here have waited 2-3 months or longer for their 335.

samualcc 08-31-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seariver (Post 7045749)
I'm really frustrated. My CA didn't answer my question whether my order has been placed or not. (I asked him by mail two days ago).

I called the dealership, my CA is out. Another CA answered the call, he told me he checked the system, there is the order. (hope this CA has higher priority than my CA, because he can access the DCS system)
When I asked my production number, he asked his manager about it (hope the manager is not my CA's manager, who is supposed to be out of office until next Tuesday).
And still no production number, but it may be available next Tuesday after the holiday.

And I asked whether I can cancel my order. His manager said no, because it has passed some phases.
So the order is in BMW system but no production number???

I called BMW NA, the customer representative told me the only way to track the status is the production number.

I don't know what to do next. Another local dealer promise me an allocation slot he has, and if ordered, my car will be here in October.

Call them back and ask for a Vehicle Inquiry Report (VIR) by name. Ask them to email it to you. You can also ask them for the Order Status from the VIR before you hang up. If they cannot give you an Order Status number or cannot send you a VIR, do not hang up, cancel your order and keep asking for managers until you get someone who can help you.

If they can get you a VIR, then you are in okay shape. It will have your prod number on it, as well as your customer information, and a list of all the options which you selected for your car.

If they can't do this, then they are either misleading you or incompetent, and in either case, run.

samualcc 08-31-2012 11:13 AM

I also forgot to mention that they may threaten not to give you your deposit back. Basically tell them to go F themselves and that they have no right to keep it. They cannot prove that they ordered your car, and you are extremely unhappy with them and taking your business else where. If they refuse, call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Also probably worth another call to BMW NA to let them know how displeased you are.