Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 F25 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   DVD Audio Volume (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642421)

Randeyman 08-29-2012 02:15 AM

DVD Audio Volume

I searched the forums and cannot find anythind about this.... I have a 2013 X3 28i with NAV and DVD, etc. Getting a DVD to actually play has been a challenge as the DVD menue doesn't seem to like the pre-recorded "play" options on a DVD. I have sorta figured out how to make that happen now, but it IS not intitutive and sure seems rather ODD. The manual is really NO help either.

However my real question involves the max volume of the audio when playing a DVD. In essence I cannot get it very loud. Nothing like the radio, CD audio, or my Ipod. Does anyone else have (or noticed) this issue/problem?

I was initially thinking that because the DVD is originally designed to work only when the car is not moving, that BMW felt that high volume was not needed (unlike the other audio formats), but still I find it odd. NOW especially that I have coded the unit to play while driving... (NO, I am NOT watching movies while driving!) :rofl: But my wife may want to some day. But still the difference in available volume is really significant.

Perhaps it is "limited" in the coding? :dunno:

Any thought or help out there?

Thanks!

Randeyman 08-30-2012 07:45 AM

No responses.... hmmmmm...

Really?

So there is no one out there with a DVD that has the same/similar issue?

Everybody can get the DVD movie volume as loud as the radio/CD/Ipod? :eeps:

bigsarge 08-31-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randeyman (Post 7043101)
No responses.... hmmmmm...

Really?

So there is no one out there with a DVD that has the same/similar issue?

Everybody can get the DVD movie volume as loud as the radio/CD/Ipod? :eeps:

I haven't tried to watch a DVD but I can try to do it in a couple of days. I need to do my coding again so it will play while driving but I will report back after I have tried it.

Kevin :)

theelblue 09-05-2012 08:42 AM

We have the same issue in our 2013 xDrive 28i. You have to really turn the volume way up on a DVD. If you switch to another source without turning it back down, it blows you our the car it's so loud. We don't ordinarily watch DVDs. We were just playing around in the driveway the day we picked up the car.

Randeyman 09-05-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelblue (Post 7054683)
We have the same issue in our 2013 xDrive 28i. You have to really turn the volume way up on a DVD. If you switch to another source without turning it back down, it blows you our the car it's so loud. We don't ordinarily watch DVDs. We were just playing around in the driveway the day we picked up the car.

Thanks for the response/info!:thumbup:

Interesting. I am just wondering if its an isolated issue or if the limited volume is by "design" I was hoping to get more responses to give me a clue.

Otherwise... is getting a DVD to play a simple/intuitive process? I really don't believe that my car's DVD menu works like it is supposed to. I had a heck of a time getting past the DVD's disk initial selection menu (ie play, setup special features, sound, etc.) to get the movie to start playing.

Perhaps a trip the the BMW shop is in order - IF I can get them to understand the issue. I have a bit of a language barrier here in Germany.:yikes:

theelblue 09-05-2012 09:49 AM

Well, we've tried only 1 Diego kids DVD that was close by when we were fiddling around with the car. I wouldn't say intuitive at all. Takes some experimentation to figure out which buttons to click and also how to get the DVD to play without any iDrive buttons also being on the screen.

But, the volume difference is very noticeable. You should be able to show it to them without even using any words. I have no idea why it would be this way by design.

I haven't tried it with a DVD-A (DVD Audio) Disc because I don't own any. Maybe someone else has tried that.

RO-CK 09-05-2012 08:18 PM

Same problem here!! Very Annoying actually as I programmed the computer to play DVD's in motion and sometimes forget to turn the volume down when going back to radio and .... $%$%$%

I bet you that all the X3's with DVD's have the same issues

JSY 09-13-2012 06:44 PM

I'll throw my 2 cents in here also to say I have the same "issue" - which I guess isn't an issue since everyone experiences it. Like someone said above, I have to turn the volume WAY up to get my desired level and God forbid I forget to turn it down before turning to another source... it's liable to blow me out of the car. LOL! It's annoying and I at first thought it was because of 5.1 audio which I thought said was supported but then I thought I remember reading somewhere that 5.1 is not supported. Sigh!

SIRKGM14vg 06-21-2013 01:54 PM

Hey Guys,

As the OP pointed out, there is a sound difference between the AUX/iPod/Radio and DVD media sources in the car. The difference is most noticeable on the DVD Source. There isn't anything I know that can correct it, but I can assure you it's more noticeable in Logic 7 systems. Yes if you would like to use 5.1, you need to enable the Logic 7 (tested). If you are not using Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1, you might have issues.

Liverman 06-21-2013 09:23 PM

I do not think there is an issue on 2014 X3

I have a '14 X3 with Premium Hi-Fi (the more expensive of the two choices avail. In the US).

I have played one DVD movie (commercially recorded) one time for a short time...essentially to confirm that it worked. I do not recall any problems with either controls or sound levels.

When I get a chance I will give it a more thorough test.

Liverman 06-22-2013 06:25 PM

I tried a DVD that I recorded as well as a commercial DVD.

I have a 2014 X3, built 16 April 2014, with the premium sound system (16 speakers, 600W amp, digital sound processor, etc.). I have "surround sound" deselected (off).

Ease of Use
I found the controls a little difficult, but no more so than any DVD player that I have owned. Each DVD player requires that I learn button layouts, some have buttons for functions some do not, some have functions on secondary menus. Each DVD player is different than the other. The player in the iDrive is about average.

Sound Volume
I set up three sound sources:
  1. satellite radio
  2. thumb drive (MP3 copied from my computer)
  3. DVD movie
I measured sound levels with my ear. Subjective, I know, but it's what I got :) The volume levels of the music on satellite and thumb drive were equal. The volume level of the DVD movie was significantly less. I increased the movie volume to a level sufficient for me to understand the dialogue while parked in my driveway with the engine off. When I switched back to the music, the volume was LOUD, but not "blow out my ears" loud. I did not try this, but if I had raised the volume to where it really filled the car and perhaps overpower any engine noise, then swicthing back toi the music could have been an ear-altering experience.

Same result with both of my test movies.

Regarding the comment: "In essence I cannot get it very loud", I did not have a problem, in getting the volume as loud as I wanted.

The maximum volume I could get from the DVD movie source was definitely lower than what I could get from MP3 or satellite radio. The DVD source appeared to be limited where the other sources did not. That being said, the sound level of the DVD movie was sufficient for me.

Switching the "surround sound" ON altered the quality of the audio - I felt surrounded, though it seemed like a cheap surround experience. It did not increase the volume.