Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Detail Department (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What is the Best/ Easiest Way to Prevent Water Marks (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642691)

jammat 08-30-2012 10:36 AM

What is the Best/ Easiest Way to Prevent Water Marks

I have a black car and just cannot find a way to stop theses horrible water marks as I dry the car. I don't want any complicated expensive time consuming methods, just a quick and easy way to prevent/minimize this. Thanks.

tom@3dproducts 08-30-2012 10:47 AM

what is your process and what products are you using?

jammat 08-30-2012 11:34 AM

I wash with a regular car wash soap, buckets, sponge and then dry with microfiber towel. Simple.

I sometimes try to get out the water marks with mothers quick detailer.

tom@3dproducts 08-30-2012 12:05 PM

where do you live? what type of water and are you washing in the sun?

Are you getting new ones each time you wash?

jammat 08-30-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom@3dproducts (Post 7043734)
where do you live? what type of water and are you washing in the sun?

Are you getting new ones each time you wash?

Yes I am getting new ones each time. I think these are salt deposits, meaning the water here is hard.

tom@3dproducts 08-30-2012 12:24 PM

In that case I may suggest waterless wash - http://www.3dproducts.com/Waterless-...tml?a_aid=8013 - or similar type products. Wash your wheels the traditional way and use waterless for paint/window.

Can't come up with anything simpler. I hope you find a solution.

Tom

jammat 08-30-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom@3dproducts (Post 7043771)
In that case I may suggest waterless wash - http://www.3dproducts.com/Waterless-...tml?a_aid=8013 - or similar type products. Wash your wheels the traditional way and use waterless for paint/window.

Can't come up with anything simpler. I hope you find a solution.

Tom

Thanks, well appreciated.

john@eac 08-30-2012 01:34 PM

The detail person at a shop that I worked at would use the dishwasher anti water spot stuff (drawing a blank on what it's called)in his wash bucket . It seemed to do a fine job.

jammat 08-30-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john@eac (Post 7043905)
The detail person at a shop that I worked at would use the dishwasher anti water spot stuff (drawing a blank on what it's called)in his wash bucket . It seemed to do a fine job.

I thought that stuff would strip the wax. I am wrong on that?

Is this the gel that comes with the cascade dishwasher stuff? And do you put it in the rinse water?

TOGWT 08-31-2012 12:23 AM

Dishwashing detergents (Dawn, Cascade, Rinse Ad, etc) contain emollients; an ingredient designed to protect a person's hands, by keeping them soft and prevent cracking and drying. However emollients make the paint surface more difficult to dry and leave an oily residue, this thin film, which also aids 'sheeting' from glassware.

The problem is that these emollients do not rinse away and you are left with a thin film on the vehicles paint surface, which will negatively impact polymer cross-linking and its durability. They also contain Diethanolamides, which act as foaming agents or as emulsifiers

jfs356 08-31-2012 05:45 AM

I too have a black car (Volvo), and even with soft water, I still get some light water stains on the flat surfaces (hood, top, trunk lid) after washing. I dry as quickly as possible (microfiber cloth) and typically put on a light coat of wax/quick detailer to eliminate the spots that remain. I think black paint shows water marks whether hard or soft water, if the water sits too long on the surface. Have also found that the more wax on the surface, the less water tends to stain. My E34 is Alpine White and is so much easier to wash/wax.

Carboy7 08-31-2012 09:20 PM

I would use a leaf blower to dry the car and get any leftover water (if any) with a quick detailer/spray wax and a waffle weave towel.

jammat 09-02-2012 10:39 AM

I will try the leaf blower method but i suspect it will still eave spots.

Any other methods, techniques from the experts?

aray 09-02-2012 06:04 PM

Not an expert, but....

It sounds like the the root causes of the spots are:
1) minerals in the water
2) drops of water are being allowed to dry on the car

To keep it simple, fix those issues by drying faster and if possible using better water.

Some ideas...

- Change your process to dry as quickly as possible after rinsing, make sure you're not leaving the car wet and spotting while doing wheels, etc. Do wheels first with a separate bucket.

- use technique called flooding the panel to dry, check YouTube for examples

- ensure quality wax/sealant is on the car

- use a quick detail spray or spray wax as a drying aid

- If all else fails use a rinseless wash like ONR, and use the Gary Dean method with distilled water instead of water frm your hose (see YouTube again for details on this...)

aray 09-02-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jammat (Post 7048836)
I will try the leaf blower method but i suspect it will still eave spots.

Any other methods, techniques from the experts?

My experience using a leaf blower is that it is slower than drying with a quality microfiber towel, at least in my humid Central Florida climate. A leaf blower is more gentle to the paint, but not faster. I pull the blower out for cracks and crevasses after I've already dried 99pct with a mf towel. In a dry climate, maybe it's different.

jammat 09-03-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aray (Post 7049473)
Not an expert, but....

It sounds like the the root causes of the spots are:
1) minerals in the water
2) drops of water are being allowed to dry on the car

To keep it simple, fix those issues by drying faster and if possible using better water.

Some ideas...

- Change your process to dry as quickly as possible after rinsing, make sure you're not leaving the car wet and spotting while doing wheels, etc. Do wheels first with a separate bucket.

- use technique called flooding the panel to dry, check YouTube for examples

- ensure quality wax/sealant is on the car

- use a quick detail spray or spray wax as a drying aid

- If all else fails use a rinseless wash like ONR, and use the Gary Dean method with distilled water instead of water frm your hose (see YouTube again for details on this...)

I am thinking of using the distilled water. The options you presented are all sounding good to me.

aray 09-03-2012 07:55 PM

I use distilled for rinseless, even though my hose waters not too bad. About $1.50 a wash, cheap insurance!

Chiropractor 09-11-2012 05:19 AM

Won't a clay bar remove water marks??

tom@3dproducts 09-11-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiropractor (Post 7066553)

Not at all

Clay only removes what is on TOP of the paint. These mineral deposits are in the paint. Polishing is the most effective way I have found

Carboy7 09-11-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiropractor (Post 7066553)

Or if you want to be less aggressive, you can try a paint cleaner or a cleaner wax.

powderrecon 09-13-2012 11:43 PM

Once you are done with the rinse, get some detail spray on there, quickly.
I use Adam's products, and their detail spray breaks down the harsh chemicals in the water, so you don't have to be in a hurry to dry.
Just give the car a good dose of it immediately after rinsing, and you can relax. The detail spray will help soak up the water, making drying 75% faster.

This stuff is amazing.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-676-a...ail-spray.aspx

jammat 09-22-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powderrecon (Post 7073343)
Once you are done with the rinse, get some detail spray on there, quickly.
I use Adam's products, and their detail spray breaks down the harsh chemicals in the water, so you don't have to be in a hurry to dry.
Just give the car a good dose of it immediately after rinsing, and you can relax. The detail spray will help soak up the water, making drying 75% faster.

This stuff is amazing.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-676-a...ail-spray.aspx

Ok boys and girls. I tried the distilled water and it worked like a charm and you really don't need a lot of it. I think I have found a way to make washing easier and my water bill lower. Thanks to all for their help.

Revelation19 09-22-2012 06:04 PM

Distilled water is a good score. Use the leaf blower to minimize the amount of towel- contact with the paint, as this helps prevent potential swirls. Make sure to always wash and dry the car in the shade. Be very quick about drying too. Spritz the car with quick detailer as you towel-dry any areas, as this lubricates the surface and towel, helping to minimize potential swirls.

jr781 10-09-2012 04:44 PM

walmart sells in line RV water filters that you can use on your hose to help minimize minerals.

Revelation19 11-11-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jammat (Post 7090252)
Ok boys and girls. I tried the distilled water and it worked like a charm and you really don't need a lot of it. I think I have found a way to make washing easier and my water bill lower. Thanks to all for their help.

Interesting idea. How did you rinse the car with the distilled water? Sounds like the car was rinsed with 1 gallon?